Publc Relations

• 6 replies

paultzman

Publc Relations
« on: July 04, 2012, 12:12:47 PM »
 ;D Our PR machine can really pump out the propaganda! Intergalactic branding next! Seriously, we have come a long way in promoting our brand.

“@STJ_Basketball: Our 13 for 12-13 a microcosm of #NYC. Rep the best local talent, span all across the #USA and hail from 5 countries. #STJBB a GLOBAL BRAND!”

Re: Publc Relations
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 02:10:37 PM »
lolll Also, if it's true that they lit up the empire state building red and white for the baller formerly known as "Moe", I would have liked some PR spreading that around.

crgreen

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 07:28:08 PM »
lolll Also, if it's true that they lit up the empire state building red and white for the baller formerly known as "Moe", I would have liked some PR spreading that around.

Gotta say as a REAL old-timer, I wish Harkless had stayed with "Moe" - 'cause "Maurice"  for my generation is reserved for a legend, Maurice Stokes.

For those too young to know, Stokes was NBA rookie of the year, an all star for his first 3 seasons.  Last game of  his third season, he took a fall, hit his head, was knocked unconsious.   Went back in the game.    Three days later, played the opening round of the playoffs - had an off game "only" 12 pts 15 rebs.   Became ill on the flight home, uttering a chilling "I feel like I'm going to die".   He didn't.  He suffered a siezure, went into a coma that left him permanently paralyzed - "post-traumatic encephalopaathy" - trauma to the motor-control center of the brain.   He was 24 years old, and that was 1958.    He died 12 years later, from heart faiure.

If you never saw him play, you really missed out.   He could (and did) play center, forward, AND guard.   He was rookie of the year, as he led the league in Rebounding.   His 2nd and 3rd (final) year, he finished 2nd in the league as Bill Russell, then Wilt Joined the league - his 17.3 career rebound average wold be #3 all time behind Wilt and Russell, if he'd played the minimum 5 seasons.   But in  those 2nd and 3rd years,  he also did something only one other player has done.  He finished 3rd both years in ASSISTS.   Wilt is the ONLY other player to finish in the top 3 in those categories in the same season in league history - both did it twice.  THAT my friends is rarified air.   Despite a career that ended at age 25, Maurice Stokes was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame in 2004.

So, just speaking as an old coot, I would have preferred that our kid stick with Moe/Mo.  But thankfully, "Maury" has never even entered into the discussion.   I'm a Dodger fan, and Maurice Morning Wills has THAT one locked up tight!  :)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 07:34:28 PM by crgreen »

Moose

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 07:45:08 PM »

Gotta say as a REAL old-timer, I wish Harkless had stayed with "Moe" - 'cause "Maurice"  for my generation is reserved for a legend, Maurice Stokes.

For those too young to know, Stokes was NBA rookie of the year, an all star for his first 3 seasons.  Last game of  his third season, he took a fall, hit his head, was knocked unconsious.   Went back in the game.    Three days later, played the opening round of the playoffs - had an off game "only" 12 pts 15 rebs.   Became ill on the flight home, uttering a chilling "I feel like I'm going to die".   He didn't.  He suffered a siezure, went into a coma that left him permanently paralyzed - "post-traumatic encephalopaathy" - trauma to the motor-control center of the brain.   He was 24 years old, and that was 1958.    He died 12 years later, from heart faiure.

If you never saw him play, you really missed out.   He could (and did) play center, forward, AND guard.   He was rookie of the year, as he led the league in Rebounding.   His 2nd and 3rd (final) year, he finished 2nd in the league as Bill Russell, then Wilt Joined the league - his 17.3 career rebound average wold be #3 all time behind Wilt and Russell, if he'd played the minimum 5 seasons.   But in  those 2nd and 3rd years,  he also did something only one other player has done.  He finished 3rd both years in ASSISTS.   Wilt is the ONLY other player to finish in the top 3 in those categories in the same season in league history - both did it twice.  THAT my friends is rarified air.   Despite a career that ended at age 25, Maurice Stokes was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame in 2004.

So, just speaking as an old coot, I would have preferred that our kid stick with Moe/Mo.  But thankfully, "Maury" has never even entered into the discussion.   I'm a Dodger fan, and Maurice Morning Wills has THAT one locked up tight!  :)

Thank you for taking a thread about STJ and its great PR staff and hijacking into a trip down memory lane :)
Remember who broke the Slice news

desco80

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 07:58:05 PM »
When I think St Johns, I often wonder about the careers of of Maurice Stokes and Murray Wills. 

crgreen

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 08:20:57 PM »
When I think St Johns, I often wonder about the careers of of Maurice Stokes and Murray Wills.

But when I think of Moe now wanting, Public Relations-wise, to be called "Maurice" - I sure DO.  What other thread on the board OTHER than the one titled "Public Relations" do ya'll think commenting on this public relations move by  a St. Johns player SHOULD fit in?  Mods are certainly free to move it...

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 09:03:15 PM »
Awfully strong sun out there today fellas. :)