CBSSports.com's Top 100 Players

• 47 replies

sju89tr

Re: CBSSports.com's Top 100 Players
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2012, 10:29:11 AM »
Harrison is clearly one of the best 100 college players in the nation. What he did on a team with no other outside shooters and with 6 players speaks for itself. The CBS list is a joke. He is not overrated in any way, shape or form. His numbers may go down as a soph but I believe he will be a better player. Let DLo prove CBS wrong.

boo3

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2012, 11:55:28 AM »
The reality of the situation is that preseason rankings, for teams and individuals, means jack squat.  Show me the rankings in March.
+1

FTR- I do believe harrison should be on any list of the top 100 players preseason. I'm just no going to get mad about it.  the only person that should be mad about it is Harrison. Hope he uses it as motivation and comes out and kills it this season.  He will have a big year.  He will be on the list in March, and that's what truly matters.

crgreen

« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2012, 12:07:25 PM »
[By the way - STILL confounded by the love for Nerlens Noel.   They virtually concede in their writeup he has NO  offensive game to speak of....then rank him as the 5th best player in college hoops.   They must think he's going to block about 15 shots a game.  Admittedly, I only saw 5 games he played, and two of those were "all star" games - but I wasn't THAT impressed even with his so called "great" shot blocking ability.   Good, but not great.   I'm expecting a poor man's Hassan Whiteside, not a poor man's Anthony Davis....

BTW - poor mans Whiteside ain't THAT bad - he was 13pts 9 rebs and 5 1/2 blocks (182) in his one season at Marshall.  I don't see THAT much potential in Noel.  NOEL DIDN'T PRODUCE THOSE NUMBERS IN HIGH SCHOOL!

This is from his "official bio" at the U of K:  "Averaged 12.6 points, 3.9 blocks and 7.2 rebounds per game as a senior at Tilton" ... THREE POINT NINE BLOCKS?  and BARELY seven Boards?   

One story I found on Chris Obekpa (talking about his TWENTY block game), put Chris at nearly TRIPLE the blocks of Noel....

Foad

« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2012, 02:02:49 PM »
By the way - STILL confounded by the love for Nerlens Noel.   They virtually concede in their writeup he has NO  offensive game to speak of....then rank him as the 5th best player in college hoops.   

They don't say he has no skills. They say "does not possess the offensive skills of number 1 NBA draft pick [Anthony] Davis. " It's hardly the same thing. Davis was a guard who grew half a foot to be a center.

crgreen

« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2012, 02:50:42 PM »
By the way - STILL confounded by the love for Nerlens Noel.   They virtually concede in their writeup he has NO  offensive game to speak of....then rank him as the 5th best player in college hoops.   

They don't say he has no skills. They say "does not possess the offensive skills of number 1 NBA draft pick [Anthony] Davis. " It's hardly the same thing. Davis was a guard who grew half a foot to be a center.

From UK's official bios:

Anthony Davis.  32 pts,  22 rebounds, 7 blocks per game at  Perspectives Charter High School in Chicago
Nerlens Noel:  12.6 pts, 7.2 rebounds, 3.6 blocks per game at Tilton High School.

Anthony Davis, at Jordan Brand Classic:  29 pts, 11 rebouds 5 blocks
Nerlens Noel at Jordan Brand Classic:  4 pts (2-6), 5 rebounds 3 blocks

Nerlens Noel - Adidas Nations recap (Aug, 2012):
Nerlens Noel F 6’11” Kentucky Fr. -- 2g, 26 mpg, 6.0 ppg, 4-6 fg, 66.7 fg% 4-8 ft, 3.5 rpg, 4 blk, 5 to
"Noel got blasted for his performance at Nations and decided to shut things down after the second day.  His obsession with facing the basket and working on his ball handling needs to be junked in favor of adding core strength and developing a back to the basket game. He shows some touch on his shot but just doesn't have any muscle memory on any post moves, and appears completely lost attempting to create points in the paint, as he even drew comparisons to Samuel Dalembert."

and - "Noel showed up at the adidas Nations camp last weekend and, by virtually every account, was a major disappointment. While longtime high school gurus knew that Noel was incredibly raw, NBA scouts got a pretty big taste of just how raw he was. Offensively, Noel struggled to do anything other than dunk the ball. Defensively he showed why he was a terrific shot-blocker, but did little else to impress.
Last year Anthony Davis showed up at the LeBron James Skills Academy and virtually every scout in attendance claimed he was the best prospect there. I couldn’t find anyone who was willing to say the same about Noel.
“He’s got the raw abilities, but he doesn’t have any of the intangibles of Anthony Davis,” one scout said. “I think he’s going to get better and [UK coach John Calipari] will help him a lot. But I told my GM to temper his expectations. We’re probably going to see a season closer to Andre Drummond’s than Anthony Davis.”

Again, not horrific, but not #5 player in basketball.   Hassan Whitehead redux.  MAYBE.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 03:23:21 PM by crgreen »

RedVet

« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2012, 09:40:13 PM »

From UK's official bios:

Anthony Davis.  32 pts,  22 rebounds, 7 blocks per game at  Perspectives Charter High School in Chicago
Nerlens Noel:  12.6 pts, 7.2 rebounds, 3.6 blocks per game at Tilton High School.

Nerlens Noel - Adidas Nations recap (Aug, 2012):
Nerlens Noel F 6’11” Kentucky Fr. -- 2g, 26 mpg, 6.0 ppg, 4-6 fg, 66.7 fg% 4-8 ft, 3.5 rpg, 4 blk, 5 to
"Noel got blasted for his performance at Nations and decided to shut things down after the second day.  His obsession with facing the basket and working on his ball handling needs to be junked in favor of adding core strength and developing a back to the basket game. He shows some touch on his shot but just doesn't have any muscle memory on any post moves, and appears completely lost attempting to create points in the paint, as he even drew comparisons to Samuel Dalembert."

and - "Noel showed up at the adidas Nations camp last weekend and, by virtually every account, was a major disappointment. While longtime high school gurus knew that Noel was incredibly raw, NBA scouts got a pretty big taste of just how raw he was. Offensively, Noel struggled to do anything other than dunk the ball. Defensively he showed why he was a terrific shot-blocker, but did little else to impress.
Last year Anthony Davis showed up at the LeBron James Skills Academy and virtually every scout in attendance claimed he was the best prospect there. I couldn’t find anyone who was willing to say the same about Noel.
“He’s got the raw abilities, but he doesn’t have any of the intangibles of Anthony Davis,” one scout said. “I think he’s going to get better and [UK coach John Calipari] will help him a lot. But I told my GM to temper his expectations. We’re probably going to see a season closer to Andre Drummond’s than Anthony Davis.”

Again, not horrific, but not #5 player in basketball.   Hassan Whitehead redux.  MAYBE.

Great analysis. Will be very interesting to follow these two as the season unfolds.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 09:52:31 PM by RedVet »

Foad

« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2012, 06:16:24 AM »
From UK's official bios:

That's all well and good. But it's somewhat irrelevant in context, as all I was pointing out was your mischaracterization of what "they ... concede." Which wasn't at all what you said they did, unless your "they" referred to something other than the two or more persons or things previously mentioned, as it does usually, which they in this case would have been the people who wrote the blurb in the linked article. So while these other quotes might support your conclusions regarding NN's skills, they don't support your OP.

Caveat: I don't follow high school basketball and essentially don't care about recruiting. I'm happy enough to be presented with a bunch of freshman the first game of the season and to take it from there. So I've never seen Noel play and barely know who he is. That said, a couple of points. First, Anthony Davis is the exception. A freshman who led his team in points, rebounds, scoring, to a national title, and a #1 draft pick. Who does that? OOTOMH, Carmelo Anthony. Anyone else? (Yes, probably someone from UCLA, spare me, it was rhetorical.) The point is virtually no one compares favorably to Anthony Davis. If Noel does what Drummond did - 12 points, 7 rebounds pg in 23 minutes in the BE - that's pretty good, and good enough to make him like Drummond, a fringe lottery pick and along the way he takes Johnnie Clamchowder goes to another FF. Whereas I'll be considering this year a success if TGAPL drags his freshman class to the finals of the NIT. Second, these experts on who your relying, these are the same expert - the same "they" - who don't mention Obekpa in the same breath as Noel. He's not even in the conversation into which you've dragged him. Maybe he belongs there and I hope so, but "they" don't think enough of him to even compose a blurb saying that he stinks. Finally, beware the wisdom of crowds, especially crowds that have Chad Ford in them. Because he's a bit of a dope.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 06:17:51 AM by Foad »

crgreen

« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2012, 01:42:04 PM »
From UK's official bios:

That's all well and good. But it's somewhat irrelevant in context, as all I was pointing out was your mischaracterization of what "they ... concede." Which wasn't at all what you said they did, unless your "they" referred to something other than the two or more persons or things previously mentioned, as it does usually, which they in this case would have been the people who wrote the blurb in the linked article. So while these other quotes might support your conclusions regarding NN's skills, they don't support your OP.

Caveat: I don't follow high school basketball and essentially don't care about recruiting. I'm happy enough to be presented with a bunch of freshman the first game of the season and to take it from there. So I've never seen Noel play and barely know who he is. That said, a couple of points. First, Anthony Davis is the exception. A freshman who led his team in points, rebounds, scoring, to a national title, and a #1 draft pick. Who does that? OOTOMH, Carmelo Anthony. Anyone else? (Yes, probably someone from UCLA, spare me, it was rhetorical.) The point is virtually no one compares favorably to Anthony Davis. If Noel does what Drummond did - 12 points, 7 rebounds pg in 23 minutes in the BE - that's pretty good, and good enough to make him like Drummond, a fringe lottery pick and along the way he takes Johnnie Clamchowder goes to another FF. Whereas I'll be considering this year a success if TGAPL drags his freshman class to the finals of the NIT. Second, these experts on who your relying, these are the same expert - the same "they" - who don't mention Obekpa in the same breath as Noel. He's not even in the conversation into which you've dragged him. Maybe he belongs there and I hope so, but "they" don't think enough of him to even compose a blurb saying that he stinks. Finally, beware the wisdom of crowds, especially crowds that have Chad Ford in them. Because he's a bit of a dope.

National titles are kind of a team thing.   The discussion was offense, and we're talking in terms of far worse (1/3 the demonstrable production) than a freshman  (Davis) who scored 14.2 pts a game in 32 minutes per being considered the 5th best player in college hoops before he steps on the court for the first time.   I have zero issues with Davis's rankings...