Rebounding Deficiencies

• 76 replies
Re: Rebounding Deficiencies
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2013, 12:28:09 AM »
This is a young team, and they are coming on. We almost had two road victories in Bib East. When was last time our squad did that? We are starting two frosh up front. One has not played ball that long. They are playing at the top level of college ball. They were able to rely on their athleticism till now. But suddenly, they are not the biggest, baddest guy on the blocks. Now its technique, angles, blocking out, effort, and outmuscling the other team. They are learning and developing, and we cannot expect miracles. As long as we see improvement, we are on right track. They were teriffic on the boards tonight, and it will continue to get better. Now if we could start hitting the front end of 1 and 1's ....

TONYD3

« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2013, 06:25:32 AM »
We need some beef. We need a Ty Grant . Or team is athletic but get overpowered easy.

Could not agree more- we need a tough guy who wants to box
I am sure he was only a 3 star or less- there is nobody in the city like him?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 06:26:33 AM by TONYD3 »

« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2013, 10:36:21 AM »
On Christmas Day we went to my sister in laws house. My 7 year old nephew had a nerf rim over his door. He was playing against my 3 year old son and kept vollying the rebounds to himself. That is what watching SJU try to rebound reminds me of.

They just beat the second best rebounders in the country on the boards. 

Any comments on their rebounding?

One game does not a season make.  Now that we know they are capable of some good board work, let's strive for some consistency.

Linda, do you enjoy posting after wins?  It seems that you post so much more when the Johnnies lose.

I just started posting a few games ago.  I think this is their first win since I started posting.

« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2013, 10:38:24 AM »
On Christmas Day we went to my sister in laws house. My 7 year old nephew had a nerf rim over his door. He was playing against my 3 year old son and kept vollying the rebounds to himself. That is what watching SJU try to rebound reminds me of.

One game does not a season make.  Now that we know they are capable of some good board work, let's strive for some consistency.

We should have beaten Nova too if not for bogus fouls.   We didn't play D nor rebound like today though.  Next 5-game stretch could make or break our season.  If we own it, we could be sitting pretty or shitty depending.  The next few games are ALL winnable.   I don't care about odds, stats etc.  we can beat RU twice if we play solid.  We certainly can beat DePaul.  Georgetown scores about 45 points per game and if we defend, we win.  We've owned Notre dame the last 5-6 years and I think we still can because our style is a problem for them.  We "can" win 5.  We "should" win at least 3...

I think Moose was right about this team playing to their level of competition.  I bet this teams loses games they should win and wins games they should lose.  I hope they grow up fast.

The Rutgers game will tell us allot.  The sign of a team in the right direction is a team that wins the games they are supposed to win. 

sju89tr

« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2013, 10:58:33 AM »

Linda, do you enjoy posting after wins?  It seems that you post so much more when the Johnnies lose.

I just started posting a few games ago.  I think this is their first win since I started posting.

I think you have been posting for a long time  :o

« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2013, 11:24:44 AM »

Been on a while but didn't star posting till recently. But what does it matter.  I just don't get all of the negative comments towards me.  I have not attacked anyone and if I am always going to have to defend myself to certain insecure babies, I may just stop posting.

paultzman

« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2013, 11:32:57 AM »

Been on a while but didn't star posting till recently. But what does it matter.  I just don't get all of the negative comments towards me.  I have not attacked anyone and if I am always going to have to defend myself to certain insecure babies, I may just stop posting.

We hardly knew Yee!

« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2013, 11:38:08 AM »

See most of the guys on this board have never actually spoken to a woman. So when you came on they got excited. Then when it was revealed that you are not a woman, they got angry. ;D

« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2013, 11:56:53 AM »
On topic, hopefully the Cinci game is a turning point with what has been a major weakness for this team.
If they needed any convincing, the win should take care of that.

« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2013, 12:02:27 PM »
Unfortunately game was probably just an aberration. Did Lavin really need to Remind D 1basketball players, that you know rebounding is important? Obepka especially and Sampson should be able to rebound a little better, but we really don't have the personal to do it consistently. Cincy shot a lot of threes which created a lot of long rebounds which leveled the field a bit for us as well. 

« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2013, 12:30:05 PM »

Newsie on Redmen said Sanchez's Monroe coach expects him to be declared eligible this week.
If so, that would be a big plus.

« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2013, 12:51:12 PM »
The Mayans have Sanchez being delared eligible 6/6/2016

paultzman

« Reply #72 on: January 07, 2013, 12:54:27 PM »

Newsie on Redmen said Sanchez's Monroe coach expects him to be declared eligible this week.

Agree with his coach.

Moose

« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2013, 12:57:08 PM »

Agree with his coach.

Lets see if this can be fubar'ed yet again.  In time for Weds is great.  Anything after and the joke continues.
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2013, 01:06:22 PM »

Agree with his coach.

Lets see if this can be fubar'ed yet again.  In time for Weds is great.  Anything after and the joke continues.

Agree with his coach.

With our luck, he is activated for Wed.game, but is poked in eye by Sam Sealy on layup line. Likely out for only 2 months though. Getting punchy!

« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2013, 11:30:33 AM »

See most of the guys on this board have never actually spoken to a woman. So when you came on they got excited. Then when it was revealed that you are not a woman, they got angry. ;D

Not a woman?.....  Why cause I am too well informed? ;D

« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2013, 06:18:42 PM »
The Mayans have Sanchez being delared eligible 6/6/2016
Thought it was 12-11-3012!