It's 12 AM do you know where Orlando Sanchez is?

• 59 replies

Poison

Re: It's 12 AM do you know where Orlando Sanchez is?
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2013, 11:56:25 AM »
And frankly, IDK what players you guys were watching last year, but Gift was the 3rd best on St.John's.

I'm speechless.   No way in hell.
I would put Jamal White and Sam Sealey ahead of Gift. 

Clearly, you didn't attend the Lehigh game.

« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2013, 11:56:53 AM »
At this point in the NCAA vs Orlando Sanchez and the Gods Gift redshirt fiascos, does any one realy believe that Lavin's decision to redshirt Gift had anything to do with Mr. Sanchez's eligibility? If the word came from the NCAA back in November that the odds were stacked against us with regards to Sanchez's eligibility, would Lavin have realy red shirted Gift and taken such a chance to have a depleted front line if the decision was not already set in stone to red shirt him? Come on ow even the most blatant homer here or gullible individual would have to question the whole thing.   My take is that Coach Lavin never had any intention of playing Gift this year no matter what Sanchez's status was.  If that was his decision, then that was his decision, but why mislead people to believe that it was based on Sanchez's status? 

So here is what comes next........

1. If Orlando is eligible with half the season left, great, Gift stays redshirted and we potentially win more games then we would have.

2. If Sanchez does not become eligible, Gift still stays redshirted with the excuse of why waste him this year.

One as to believe that a deal was made with Gift from the get go re his desire to gain graduate credits or a degree.  Which by the way, I see nothing wrong with.  I just dont like feeling misled by the process.

What did Lavin say that would make anyone believe Gift's redshirt was based on Sanchez's status? Or do you just make this stuff up as you go along?

No offense but are you limited?

This is why you annoy people. He didn't personally attack you in any way. You act like you want to have serious conversations, but then you immediately resort to name calling as soon as someone disagrees with you.

So saying to me that I just make stuff up is not a personal attack?  Those who are annoyed here are those who can't take the fact that someone with the screen name " Linda" may have more knowledge on a subject or be more on the ball then they are. My post was based on an opinion from everything I read and have heard and I am entitled to that. However, I am not the one who attacks anyone here.

No it's not a personal attack because you were making it up. You posted as if Lavin personally said that the Gift redshirt was because of Sanchez which is not true. You may have been led to believe it was the case by members on this board, but not by Lavin personally which is what you said in your original post.

Perhaps you need to re read the post.  I never stated that Lavin personally stated anything.  What I did state in a subsequent post was that Lavin did nothing to state otherwise.  If you were to read all of the blogs, ESPN commentaries and listen to the game commentators, not one stated that Lavin was redshirting Gift to give him graduate credits or for depth next year, they all stated that Gifts playing ths year was directly related to Sanchez's eligibility. Again, Lavin never came out and contradicted that thought at all.

It's not Lavin's job to do that. He was quoted as saying it had to do with Gift's academics.

No but it is Lavins job to be forthright in his dealings with the fan base and all supporters of the program.  If you can tell me where or when he stated that , I would appreciate that as I had never heard him say that and That would certainly make me feel better about the whole thing.

No, that is where you are wrong.  It is not Lavin's job to update the fan base on all eligibility issues of recruits or players nor the reasons behinds all of s decisions.  Most coaches are much less forthright than Lavin.  You won't see most d1 coaches giving explanations for anything with regards to their roster management.  Just because some idiot on a message board demands transparency doesn't mean that they are owed anything.  Only thing Lwvin is paid for is to win games.  Whether you agree with his decision making is your business but he doesn't have to explain his rationale to you. Most coaches don't.

Ah, but the true idiots on a fan site are those who believe in a system or coaching staff unconditionally while they are being raked over the coals by lies an innuendo, but we all know that would never happen here. ::)

:2funny: Realfan, you're too much.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 11:57:50 AM by redstorm212 »

desco80

« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2013, 11:57:18 AM »
And frankly, IDK what players you guys were watching last year, but Gift was the 3rd best on St.John's.

Exaggerate much?
::)   Maybe a tad.
But my feelings on Gift should be well known by now.   And I'm getting sick of hearing that he could be our savior.   
What I remember is Dunlap brought our own true post player off the bench and played him less than any of the 5 freshmen.   
AND, I have nightmares about him dribbling the ball of his foot, and getting called for offensive fouls every time he hooked his arm around a defender and did a spin move. 

Moose

« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2013, 11:58:41 AM »

Exaggerate much?
But my feelings on Gift should be well known by now.   And I'm getting sick of hearing that he could be our savior.   
What I remember is Dunlap brought our own true post player off the bench and played him less than any of the 5 freshmen.   
AND, I have nightmares about him dribbling the ball of his foot, and getting called for offensive fouls every time he hooked his arm around a defender and did a spin move. 

Agree on the savior part. 
Remember who broke the Slice news

desco80

« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2013, 12:04:50 PM »
So two quotes are relevant to the debate in this thread....

1) I think Linda is right in some ways.  Not literally, but Lavin's statements did imply that Orlando's elidgibility had a lot to do with if Gift would redshirt..
From Novemeber 3rd:
"Felix and Gift won't play in the exhibition on Tuesday night either. With Marco and Orlando, we're waiting on a ruling regarding their eligibility and we expect to hear at some point in the next week or so on that ... Their eligibility plays with the redshirt decision, so there are a lot of moving parts as we assess our personnel based on the decision the NCAA comes up with regarding Orlando and Marco".

So he didn't necessarily say Orlando elidgible = Gift redshirt.     But he said the NCAA's rulings on Marco and Orlando would be a big factor in in Gift and Felix redshirted.
And there's really no reason to think Felix would get less playing time with Orlando around, they play two very different positions.   So there is a pretty strong implication that Gift's decision would be predicated on Orlando's eligibility.

2)  But, it really doesn't matter.   Because 212 and everybody else is absolutely right, coach has ZERO responsibility to tell us why he's making decisions like that about the program.   He has a responsibility to answer normal post game interview questions, like "why didn't you start Obekpa against ND?", or "Are you pleased with the defensive performance of the team?" and he does answer those.    But not personnel decisions.
Especially when it involves personal aspects of students' lives.   
College coaches are notoriously close lipped.   Saban tells the media next to nothing.   10x worse than Bellichek.

« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2013, 08:39:25 AM »

Exaggerate much?

The way things are going with recruiting to date, Gift may be relied on more next year then we possibly imagined especially now that there is talk of Sampson potentially going pro, And yes, Lavin did imply by his statements that Gifts redshirt was related to Sanchez's elegability. It's just too bad that some of the cheerleaders on this site refuse to acknowledge this. I guess that Zags article that a decision on Sanchez was rendered back in November was somewhat accurate. And please, can we avoid the silly comments like " fire Lavin" from the 12 year olds on this site.

DFF6

« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2013, 08:45:31 AM »

Exaggerate much?

The way things are going with recruiting to date, Gift may be relied on more next year then we possibly imagined especially now that there is talk of Sampson potentially going pro, And yes, Lavin did imply by his statements that Gifts redshirt was related to Sanchez's elegability. It's just too bad that some of the cheerleaders on this site refuse to acknowledge this. I guess that Zags article that a decision on Sanchez was rendered back in November was somewhat accurate. And please, can we avoid the silly comments like " fire Lavin" from the 12 year olds on this site.

Who on this site wants Lavin fired? 

« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2013, 09:01:22 AM »

Exaggerate much?

Who on this site wants Lavin fired?

No one really, it's just a response that certain posters make when there is any minute criticism of the staff.   ;D

« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2013, 02:22:06 PM »
Even if Orlando becomes eligible, how much of an impact can he make? How will the coaching staff change the rotations/sub patterns? We can say how he will/will not help but the only people who know are those at practices. Even though I am notorious for disliking the teams philosophies/tactics, the team has been playing together better, gaining confidence. Don't want to mess too much with that kind of stuff at this point in the season. I could be wrong though, maybe he makes a bigger impact. At least they are winning games right now, and that's all that matters at this point.

DFF6

« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2013, 02:43:37 PM »
Even if Orlando becomes eligible, how much of an impact can he make? How will the coaching staff change the rotations/sub patterns? We can say how he will/will not help but the only people who know are those at practices. Even though I am notorious for disliking the teams philosophies/tactics, the team has been playing together better, gaining confidence. Don't want to mess too much with that kind of stuff at this point in the season. I could be wrong though, maybe he makes a bigger impact. At least they are winning games right now, and that's all that matters at this point.

Orlando is done for this year, and probably will never qualify to play college bball.  Not sure why he's still a topic of conversation.

Poison

« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2013, 02:50:37 PM »
Of course Lavin shouldn't be fired for this. It's not his job to determine the eligibility of a player. One would assume that it has to be someone's job at SJ. But who's?

desco80

« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2013, 05:32:31 PM »
Of course Lavin shouldn't be fired for this. It's not his job to determine the eligibility of a player. One would assume that it has to be someone's job at SJ. But who's?

He didn't know that he was signing a player who played semi-pro ball in Spain?
Willing to take the risk is different than it not being his job.   

Poison

« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2013, 05:49:23 PM »

He didn't know that he was signing a player who played semi-pro ball in Spain?
Willing to take the risk is different than it not being his job.   

Clearly, someone is a complete nice person. Once it has been determined who that nice person is, that person should be fired.

« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2013, 05:58:37 PM »
if we didn't sign Orlando would we have gotten Phil Nolan?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 05:58:55 PM by chronicbucks »

« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2013, 07:03:27 PM »
someone is in charge with compliance.  between this and last year's disasters...someone has to go.  there are plenty of people who'd do a better job.  give one of them a chance.

p.s. while we're at it, maybe someone should look for opportunities for coach hicks.  he's whiffed on every nyc recruit.

« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2013, 07:30:38 PM »
Orlando has helped us in practice more than Phil Nolan would have helped being on the bench.

Poison

« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2013, 07:39:07 PM »
someone is in charge with compliance.  between this and last year's disasters...someone has to go.  there are plenty of people who'd do a better job.  give one of them a chance.

p.s. while we're at it, maybe someone should look for opportunities for coach hicks.  he's whiffed on every nyc recruit.

Hicks is useless. That is the ONLY reason he's here.

« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2013, 07:47:43 PM »
I really wish Orlando S luck.  Too bad he was never able to join us.  Wish him well.

« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2013, 04:46:37 PM »
In answer to the original question he apparently is waiting to suit up for next year... :2funny: :2funny:

« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2013, 04:50:17 PM »
Fantastic news!