Rothstein Prognosis

• 17 replies

paultzman

Rothstein Prognosis
« on: July 08, 2013, 08:54:44 AM »
"4. CAN ST. JOHN’S PUT IT ALL TOGETHER?

If they do, it’s bad news for the rest of the conference. Other than Kentucky’s John Calipari or Arizona’s Sean Miller, no coach in America has recruited better than Steve Lavin over the past few seasons. The California native has brought an influx of talent to New York that is rivaled by few, but it will be interesting to see if it all comes together during the upcoming year. The Red Storm looked like they were on their way to being a bubble team last February before leading scorer D’Angelo Harrison was suspended with four games remaining in the regular season. If Harrison returns, he’ll be part of a loaded perimeter along with Phil Greene, Jamal Branch and highly-touted freshman Rysheed Jordan, who could wind up being one of the more talented guards Lavin has ever coached. That quartet along with sophomore forward JaKarr Sampson should give St. John’s enough offense to compete with anyone they’ll face. The Red Storm are also expecting to get mileage out of JUCO forward Orlando Sanchez, who will make his highly anticipated debut after sitting out all of last season. The two underrated keys for this team are the two guys who bring the highest level of intangibles — Dom Pointer and Chris Obekpa. The 6-foot-6 Pointer filled the box score at will during the second half of last season, proving that he can be one of the better glue guys in college basketball if he gets the opportunity. When Pointer played more minutes, St. John’s went to a different level. Don’t be shocked to see Lavin regularly go with a smaller lineup and use Pointer at the four."

“@JonRothstein: The latest @WFAN660 features a Big East Offseason Notebook With Power Rankings, Players To Watch + More http://cbsloc.al/12So89U
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 08:55:30 AM by paultzman »

SJUFAN

Re: Rothstein Prognosis
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 12:32:54 PM »

If they do, it’s bad news for the rest of the conference. Other than Kentucky’s John Calipari or Arizona’s Sean Miller, no coach in America has recruited better than Steve Lavin over the past few seasons. The California native has brought an influx of talent to New York that is rivaled by few, but it will be interesting to see if it all comes together during the upcoming year. The Red Storm looked like they were on their way to being a bubble team last February before leading scorer D’Angelo Harrison was suspended with four games remaining in the regular season. If Harrison returns, he’ll be part of a loaded perimeter along with Phil Greene, Jamal Branch and highly-touted freshman Rysheed Jordan, who could wind up being one of the more talented guards Lavin has ever coached. That quartet along with sophomore forward JaKarr Sampson should give St. John’s enough offense to compete with anyone they’ll face. The Red Storm are also expecting to get mileage out of JUCO forward Orlando Sanchez, who will make his highly anticipated debut after sitting out all of last season. The two underrated keys for this team are the two guys who bring the highest level of intangibles — Dom Pointer and Chris Obekpa. The 6-foot-6 Pointer filled the box score at will during the second half of last season, proving that he can be one of the better glue guys in college basketball if he gets the opportunity. When Pointer played more minutes, St. John’s went to a different level. Don’t be shocked to see Lavin regularly go with a smaller lineup and use Pointer at the four."

“@JonRothstein: The latest @WFAN660 features a Big East Offseason Notebook With Power Rankings, Players To Watch + More http://cbsloc.al/12So89U

The only way I see Pointer playing the four is if CO, Gift, and Sanchez all foul out or we need a three at the end of a game.

paultzman

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 12:40:25 PM »

The only way I see Pointer playing the four is if CO, Gift, and Sanchez all foul out or we need a three at the end of a game.

"Mint"

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 01:16:18 PM »

Or if Lavin wants to run a small pressing lineup with CO as the backstop, or if we run into one of the mid-majors who are using a small lineup to run rings around us.

SJUFAN

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 01:45:13 PM »

Or if Lavin wants to run a small pressing lineup with CO as the backstop, or if we run into one of the mid-majors who are using a small lineup to run rings around us.

Our bigs are pretty athletic, can't see anyone running rings around CO, Sanchez, and JS. A pressing line up makes sense although I thought we had the horses to press last year and we didn't do it, not sure if a pressing defense is part of Coach's philosophy.

MCNPA

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 02:59:46 PM »
Agree.  Nobody out there that will run rings around us.  We will be one of the most athletic teams around.  We also have big guards.  Can play 3-guard lineups as well.

NYCoffey

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 05:24:57 PM »
Kind of off topic but some funny tweets on brazzile about Rothstein

2h 

Jerry Beach ? @defiantlydutch

Rothstein on high school lunch: "French Bread pizza off the charts! Fruit punch to die for. Twix bar in vending machine 4 dessert."

?View details ?· ? ?? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Zach Braziller retweeted

2h 

?Jerry Beach ? @defiantlydutch

?

I wish I had Rothstein touting me when I was trying to get a date in high school. "Beach working hard on hitting puberty, big year ahead."

Zach Braziller retweeted

2h 

?Jerry Beach ? @defiantlydutch

?

BREAKING: Rothstein tells us to watch out for a player this year.

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 07:47:33 PM »
Who dis?
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Poison

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 01:45:14 AM »
Kind of off topic but some funny tweets on brazzile about Rothstein

2h

Jerry Beach ? @defiantlydutch

Rothstein on high school lunch: "French Bread pizza off the charts! Fruit punch to die for. Twix bar in vending machine 4 dessert."

Zach Braziller retweeted

2h

?Jerry Beach ? @defiantlydutch

?

I wish I had Rothstein touting me when I was trying to get a date in high school. "Beach working hard on hitting puberty, big year ahead."

Zach Braziller retweeted

2h

?Jerry Beach ? @defiantlydutch

?

BREAKING: Rothstein tells us to watch out for a player this year.

I enjoy his player comparisons. His predictions are laughable. He'd have a 12 way tie for first if you could do it.

crgreen

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 04:10:26 AM »

I would think Jakarr would also be there before Dom,  no?  And I'm not writing off Christian Jones yet.

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 06:07:39 AM »
Agree.  Nobody out there that will run rings around us.  We will be one of the most athletic teams around.  We also have big guards.  Can play 3-guard lineups as well.

Every year we lose to a mid major at home.  And inevitably they have a small line-up that we have difficulty controlling, especially down the stretch, when somebody gets hot and blows us away, usually a guy that physically we should be able to handle but they overwhelm the bigger guy we have on them.  So a four guard line-up wouldn't be out of the question in those circumstances.

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 11:15:52 AM »

Every year we lose to a mid major at home.  And inevitably they have a small line-up that we have difficulty controlling, especially down the stretch, when somebody gets hot and blows us away, usually a guy that physically we should be able to handle but they overwhelm the bigger guy we have on them.  So a four guard line-up wouldn't be out of the question in those circumstances.

The mid majors that have given us trouble have frequently featured quick penetrating guards, baseline shooters and bigger bigs than ours.  Always makes you wonder where they come from.  Hopefully this season will be different.

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 01:00:00 PM »

The mid majors that have given us trouble have frequently featured quick penetrating guards, baseline shooters and bigger bigs than ours.  Always makes you wonder where they come from.  Hopefully this season will be different.

The kid from Asheville wasn't that big, maybe 6'5", but he ate us alive inside as well as hitting outside shots.  We had no answer.  He had a career game against us.  But you're right about the quicker guards and outside shooters, that's what I was referencing when I said that those type of players run rings around us.

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 02:20:55 PM »

The kid from Asheville wasn't that big, maybe 6'5", but he ate us alive inside as well as hitting outside shots.  We had no answer.  He had a career game against us.  But you're right about the quicker guards and outside shooters, that's what I was referencing when I said that those type of players run rings around us.

The 3-point defense has to change, period.  I wasen't a fan of this zone when Mike Dunlap introduced it, and I haven't seen anything from it in 3 years to change my mind.

This year, I want our guards, and maybe some forwards, pressuring the ball 94 feet, with Obekpa sitting back underneath the basket, just in case the press is broken.

SJUFAN

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 02:44:02 PM »

The problem has been our team defense. Can't expect one guy to stop any one player Mid major or not. We need to respect all players', teams', and their ability. Our rotations have got to be more crisper, this happens with experience.   

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 03:49:50 PM »

The problem has been our team defense. Can't expect one guy to stop any one player Mid major or not. We need to respect all players', teams', and their ability. Our rotations have got to be more crisper, this happens with experience.

Some people think athleticism is going to be enough, it wasn't last year, at either end of the floor.  Despite our athleticism we got schooled often enough by less athletic players/teams.  As you point out, it's about rotation, we'll see if another years' experience makes a difference, I'm thinking it will.

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2013, 03:54:30 PM »

The 3-point defense has to change, period.  I wasen't a fan of this zone when Mike Dunlap introduced it, and I haven't seen anything from it in 3 years to change my mind.

This year, I want our guards, and maybe some forwards, pressuring the ball 94 feet, with Obekpa sitting back underneath the basket, just in case the press is broken.
I agree to a point, but even when we switched to man we had trouble containing players who were either hot, or teams that ran plays and we were slow to switch or fight through picks.

Lavin's got the horses this year so I agree, let's see a little pressure defense be it full court, or my favorite, the 3/4 court trap with a big wing like Dom or JaKarr at the point of attack.

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 04:16:46 PM »

I agree to a point, but even when we switched to man we had trouble containing players who were either hot, or teams that ran plays and we were slow to switch or fight through picks.

Lavin's got the horses this year so I agree, let's see a little pressure defense be it full court, or my favorite, the 3/4 court trap with a big wing like Dom or JaKarr at the point of attack.

Anything like that would be fine, yes.  Biggest thing is, we will have the shotblockers in the back of it to protect the rim, be it Obekpa, Gift, Sanchez, or even Dom if we go small.