Sporting News College Basketball Preview

• 49 replies
Re: Sporting News College Basketball Preview
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2013, 01:06:00 PM »
I like Iona's roster -- and they do have some high major transfers.  And I like Manhattan's coach (think their talent level is less than Iona's, but I don't know it as well).  But in my view, guys like Cleveland Melvin, Brandon Young, Edwin, Gibbs, Teague, etc, would be among the best if not the best players in the MAAC.  So I think that if you asked an odds-maker, they'd put both the Hall and Depaul 1 and 2 in some order in that league. 

In a given game, Iona and Manhattan can probably hang with anyone in the Big East on the right day.  But over the course of a season, I think they'd end up as the two bottom teams in the league (unlike when they had Machado, Glover and MoMo, where they obviously would have fared better).  It is no slight on Iona or Manhattan -- it is simply recognizing that more talented players typically go to the better conferences.

« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2013, 02:42:41 PM »
I agree with you about having a talented team. But lets be fair - DePaul or Seton Hall have guys who would be the best players in the MAAC. The bottom of the new league would e at the top of a conference like that.

I think Manhattan and Iona could hang in the Big East. Teams like Seton Hall and DePaul are pretty terrible

If manhattan and Iona replaced seton hall and depaul, where would you project them to finish in conference?
Give them about 5 years to recruit up to speed, and they'll be right where SH and DePaul are...lol. And I'm a MC alum!

« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2013, 05:10:49 PM »
I agree with you about having a talented team. But lets be fair - DePaul or Seton Hall have guys who would be the best players in the MAAC. The bottom of the new league would e at the top of a conference like that.

I think Manhattan and Iona could hang in the Big East. Teams like Seton Hall and DePaul are pretty terrible

If manhattan and Iona replaced seton hall and depaul, where would you project them to finish in conference?
If they replaced SH and DeP they would probably also replace them in the standings.

Poison

« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2013, 05:36:15 PM »
I like Iona's roster -- and they do have some high major transfers.  And I like Manhattan's coach (think their talent level is less than Iona's, but I don't know it as well).  But in my view, guys like Cleveland Melvin, Brandon Young, Edwin, Gibbs, Teague, etc, would be among the best if not the best players in the MAAC.  So I think that if you asked an odds-maker, they'd put both the Hall and Depaul 1 and 2 in some order in that league. 

In a given game, Iona and Manhattan can probably hang with anyone in the Big East on the right day.  But over the course of a season, I think they'd end up as the two bottom teams in the league (unlike when they had Machado, Glover and MoMo, where they obviously would have fared better).  It is no slight on Iona or Manhattan -- it is simply recognizing that more talented players typically go to the better conferences.

I don't think DePaul would finish in top 5 in the MAAC. They do nothing well. Iona would destroy them. Seton Hall has a good coach IMO. Unfortunately he's not a good recruiter, and you can only go so far without talent. Still, he has a couple of capable guards. They could be a tad better than expected, like perhaps sniff the NIT, but that's it. I could see them finishing 3rd in the MAAC behind Iona & Manhattan.

MCNPA

« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2013, 10:08:28 PM »

I don't think DePaul would finish in top 5 in the MAAC. They do nothing well. Iona would destroy them. Seton Hall has a good coach IMO. Unfortunately he's not a good recruiter, and you can only go so far without talent. Still, he has a couple of capable guards. They could be a tad better than expected, like perhaps sniff the NIT, but that's it. I could see them finishing 3rd in the MAAC behind Iona & Manhattan.

DePaul should have made a run at Bruce Weber before K-State snatched him up.  He'd be able to recruit that region well and would have them competing sooner rather than later.

« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2013, 10:27:52 PM »
Respectfully disagree, Poison.  Cleveland Melvin would be the best player in the MAAC IMO.  Even if Depaul didn't play a lick of D, him and Young would be hard for a team in the MAAC to handle, especially against a team like Iona that plays zero defense.

« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2013, 10:40:40 PM »
Respectfully disagree, Poison.  Cleveland Melvin would be the best player in the MAAC IMO.  Even if Depaul didn't play a lick of D, him and Young would be hard for a team in the MAAC to handle, especially against a team like Iona that plays zero defense.

David Laury is better than Melvin IMO

« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2013, 11:15:50 PM »
I like Laury's game.  He should dominate the MAAC this year, where there are few quality players about 6'6/6'7.  Because Melvin won't ever have the chance to play against that comp consistently we will never know.  I just think that a guy who has received BE honors in the past and is a senior with size would crush that MAAC.

Poison

« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2013, 09:18:05 AM »

DePaul should have made a run at Bruce Weber before K-State snatched him up.  He'd be able to recruit that region well and would have them competing sooner rather than later.

Weber, IMO is a great coach who didn't recruit as well as Bill Self. But hey, not everyone thinks that a different coach would save that program. Nevermind that it's what we've done here.

Poison

« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2013, 09:23:00 AM »

I think Melvin is soft. I expected him to put it together last year, but he can't defend, and he disappears in games constantly. I think he's a compiler. He finds a way to get his points, but it's rarely in a way that helps his team win. Laury is a monster inside, and he'd be a monster against almost every team. Also, he's only had half a season to get used to D1 ball.