5th guy

• 37 replies

Marillac

Re: 5th guy
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2014, 10:47:52 AM »
I want Greene on d, because I don't he makes mental mistakes late in games. He's not out there got make plays, but guys like Sanchez and Pointer are erratic. You never know when they'll make a terrible decision to foul. Pointer is erratic in his behavior as well. On offense, I like Sanchez, because I think he's better passes, and he's been aggressively scoring lately. He's gotta keep it up.

There was nothing erratic when Dom blocked the hoya response to Harrison's three.  The open three that was fed to Harrison by Pointer.

Actually, Dom completely let his man blow by him badly on that play and got the block at the end of it--his only of the game.  The pass to Harrison was really nice and that is his game...two dribbles and do something.  The problem is that he can't play within the framework.  He makes us all cringe for good reason.

Sampson-Sanchez-Pointer are all turnover machines.  I'd rather have Greene in the game because he doesn't turn it over and he will make his shots  Plus, if he gets to the line we can here the announcers say "Phil Greene from Chicago" for the 30th time of the game. 

I'd like to get to the point where I feel comfortable with Sanchez at the end of games, because his FT % is incredible.

Moose

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2014, 10:55:30 AM »
I want Greene on d, because I don't he makes mental mistakes late in games. He's not out there got make plays, but guys like Sanchez and Pointer are erratic. You never know when they'll make a terrible decision to foul. Pointer is erratic in his behavior as well. On offense, I like Sanchez, because I think he's better passes, and he's been aggressively scoring lately. He's gotta keep it up.

There was nothing erratic when Dom blocked the hoya response to Harrison's three.  The open three that was fed to Harrison by Pointer.

Actually, Dom completely let his man blow by him badly on that play and got the block at the end of it--his only of the game.  The pass to Harrison was really nice and that is his game...two dribbles and do something.  The problem is that he can't play within the framework.  He makes us all cringe for good reason.

Sampson-Sanchez-Pointer are all turnover machines.  I'd rather have Greene in the game because he doesn't turn it over and he will make his shots  Plus, if he gets to the line we can here the announcers say "Phil Greene from Chicago" for the 30th time of the game. 

I'd like to get to the point where I feel comfortable with Sanchez at the end of games, because his FT % is incredible.

Maybe I never noticed it before this year but its not just Greene.  I hear way too much where a kid is from.  Our players and opponents.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2014, 11:36:29 AM »
"Greene from Chicago". ( man that could spur a lot of nickname fodder ) "Deep Dish" quickly comes to mind.

Phil at the start of games, Phil in the middle of games, and Yes - of course Phil at the end of games.

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2014, 02:40:31 PM »
Got to go with Legend.  Silky Smooth baby

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2014, 03:37:21 PM »
I go with Sanchez because if he hasn't fouled out by now, he's having a good game!

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2014, 04:39:47 PM »
I think this question would vary based on game situation. Playing with a lead? deficit? road? home?

Jordan and Harrison are late game locks. There are times where I like Greene to be on the floor over Pointer because he takes care of the basketball better. Sometimes I prefer Sanchez or even GG over Obekpa because they can make FT but other times Obekpa because he'll guard the basket better.

Ultimately this team has so much versatility and it appears that Lavin has figured out some good combos.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

jr49

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2014, 04:54:13 PM »

Dom a turn over machine? He commits turnovers, true. He has turned it over 36 times. Some other numbers that count. 53 assists-36 steals-30 blocks. I'm disappointed in the 6pts and 3 boards. Whoever coach plays we need to come through. Personal favorites on our end don't much matter. 

Tiznow

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2014, 11:05:33 PM »

Dom a turn over machine? He commits turnovers, true. He has turned it over 36 times. Some other numbers that count. 53 assists-36 steals-30 blocks. I'm disappointed in the 6pts and 3 boards. Whoever coach plays we need to come through. Personal favorites on our end don't much matter. 

Marillac, I love seeing the ball in Sir Dom's reliable hands.  I agree that he could grab more boards and needs to gain confidence with his outside shooting, but I don't see the crappy handle.  I want to see this guy fly down the court with the ball.

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2014, 07:26:41 AM »

Marillac, I love seeing the ball in Sir Dom's reliable hands.  I agree that he could grab more boards and needs to gain confidence with his outside shooting, but I don't see the crappy handle.  I want to see this guy fly down the court with the ball.

Sarcasm?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2014, 09:24:41 PM »
Obepka(if he returns)
Sampson
Harrison
Jordan(if he returns)

Greene needs to play 15 minutes off the bench and I am pretty sure Pointer's evil twin has him chained to a pipe in a basement somewhere because he absolutely stunk this year. I vote for Branch. Unless Jones Redshirt did wonders because I would not mind playing big. Three guard lineups sucks. Well if one of the guards is Greene anyway.

paultzman

« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2014, 09:26:45 PM »
Obepka(if he returns)
Sampson
Harrison
Jordan(if he returns)

Greene needs to play 15 minutes off the bench and I am pretty sure Pointer's evil twin has him chained to a pipe in a basement somewhere because he absolutely stunk this year. I vote for Branch. Unless Jones Redshirt did wonders because I would not mind playing big. Three guard lineups sucks. Well if one of the guards is Greene anyway.

What does it matter?  Lavin's love affair with Greene will never end. Most agree his minutes should be quite limited, but SL is dedicated to defying logic.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 09:29:08 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2014, 09:48:39 PM »
Obepka(if he returns)
Sampson
Harrison
Jordan(if he returns)

What does it matter?  Lavin's love affair with Greene will never end. Most agree his minutes should be quite limited, but SL is dedicated to defying logic.

He sat him for a long stretch after he took the circuitous route to get out on Fortune yet again when he got to 20 points. When he did put him back in they were switching on every screen because Greene does not fight through screens. Maybe there is hope for Lavin. The again he did bench Jordan and Harrison to put in the 5 guys who can't score lineup. The fact that it actually worked was basically the old throw shit against a wall strategy

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2014, 09:53:05 PM »
Obepka(if he returns)
Sampson
Harrison
Jordan(if he returns)

His love affair with Greene will end. When Greene graduates next year.

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2014, 09:54:02 PM »
Obepka(if he returns)
Sampson
Harrison
Jordan(if he returns)

good to see you've come full CIRCLE on Branch. Him with rysheed and Dlo along side of him is dangerous. Phil should be the fourth of the group.

boo3

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2014, 09:59:54 PM »
 I thought Branch played well..   I wish his jump shot had a prayer though.. He had a solid, 3 good looks that weren't close.  Offense was smoother when he was in, no doubt.

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2014, 10:01:58 PM »
Obepka(if he returns)
Sampson
Harrison
Jordan(if he returns)

good to see you've come full CIRCLE on Branch. Him with rysheed and Dlo along side of him is dangerous. Phil should be the fourth of the group.

He just can't shoot and needs to get stronger. Second guessing here but I would have like to see what would have happened if we went big from the beginning. Obepka, Sanchez, Sampson, DLO, Joprdan.
Between Branch, Dom's evil twin and Tissue Paper I would def give the most minutes to branch next season.

« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2014, 10:02:56 PM »
I thought Branch played well..   I wish his jump shot had a prayer though.. He had a solid, 3 good looks that weren't close.  Offense was smoother when he was in, no doubt.

For sure, but im still a believer in the theory that it is tough to shoot when you get pulled for even the smallest of things. Heck he gets pulled for doing good things far to often.

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2014, 10:03:08 PM »
Obepka(if he returns)
Sampson
Harrison
Jordan(if he returns)

He just can't shoot and needs to get stronger. Second guessing here but I would have like to see what would have happened if we went big from the beginning. Obepka, Sanchez, Sampson, DLO, Joprdan.
Between Branch, Dom's evil twin and Tissue Paper I would def give the most minutes to branch next season.

Meant went that way from beginning of season