The Good, the bad and the ugly- Wagner

• 29 replies

Moose

Re: The Good, the bad and the ugly
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2013, 12:50:38 PM »
That's funny stuff. He is what he is , a good shot blocker who needs to grab more rebounds. I don't think there is a chance he plays in the NBA but he sure can help STJ.

Dave mentioned that Chris floated with the idea of leaving already.  These kids have their mindsets, their family situations, their 'advisors' etc.  Are they always right in their decisions? Hell no.  But that's the way the game is structured  nowadays.
Remember who broke the Slice news

CC

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2013, 12:54:53 PM »
That's funny stuff. He is what he is , a good shot blocker who needs to grab more rebounds. I don't think there is a chance he plays in the NBA but he sure can help STJ.

Dave mentioned that Chris floated with the idea of leaving already.  These kids have their mindsets, their family situations, their 'advisors' etc.  Are they always right in their decisions? Hell no.  But that's the way the game is structured  nowadays.

Gotcha, I hope he stays 4 years obviously. Maybe by year 4 he may get drafted who knows

jr49

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2013, 01:14:56 PM »
The Good-Harrison, Harrison, Harrison.
Sampson played ok but if we are going to score enough to win, he will have to be a consistent 2nd scorer.
Sanchez and Pointer are both solid role players. Both have potential to be a little more than that.
Win is a win. With our offense nothing going to be pretty, any win is a good one. One down hopefully at least 19 more to go.

The Bad-only his 2nd game but he has now been compared to Kidd, Baron Davis and now Gary Payton. Through two games Jordan looks more like Tarik Turner.
Harrison got mad at Branch for not cutting, I think he might need to call his anger sponsor Mike Rice.
Obepka eye rolled Lavin when taken out of the game. Hope there is an opening at John Lucas' joint.

The ugly- We are the worst shooting team in the country. Probably Canada too.
Also I hope we don't play to many more games on FS2 because the quality of the picture was about the same as my niece's sweet 16 video.
Pointer more then a role player, and should not be grouped with Sanchez. Sanchez got to get it together and start making put backs. He looks like a juco getting his feet wet in D1. I'm not saying he won't get there. Pointer gets 10 without looking for a shot.

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2013, 01:29:39 PM »
Sanchez will be fine. As far as I'm concerned, we don't have anyone who will be a first round pick next year. I hope any of them thinking about making the leap value the progress they can make in even a year to help secure their future. Guys like Hardy and Brownlee jumped in one year from not being on anyone's radar to at least getting a look. Harrison, CO and Sampson (and their advisors) should all take that into account.

Poison

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2013, 02:49:30 PM »
If you hit the # sign on the remote, the picture quality goes up a bit.  Would be nice to have the game in HD the whole way though.

A win is a win

Does anyone know why Fox Sports is such a terrible network? It's like they are as bad at sports as the news channel is for news. What a disgrace they are.

Poison

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2013, 02:50:59 PM »

Anyone can declare for the NBA draft. Bill Murray did.

Re: The Good, the bad and the ugly- Wagner
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2013, 03:12:03 PM »
I like this thread! Do it every game WASJU

Good
-Harrison can create his own shot
-Sampson looks the part of 2nd scoring option
-Branch is going to be steady
-Dom scored in double figures
-Obekpa got 1 block every 4 minutes. That is nearly about 1 every 4 defensive possessions.
-Under 10 turnovers
- +11 rebounding margin with 3 guys over 7 rebounds
-Got to the line 36 times and converted over 80% as a team.
- Greene/Branch timeshare less is more. These guys were extremely efficient combining for 3-5 shooting for 13 points.
- Obekpa 2 assists out of the post. I'll take it!

Bad
- Waves of energy on the floor. Yes this is a game of runs but they nearly let Wagner back in
- Only 10 assisted baskets. Perhaps this stat is skewed a bit due to amount of FT's
- Scoring distribution is lopsided. Not necessarily an issue but would have liked to see more capable scoring from other guys.

Ugly
- Jordan 0-7. He'll have better days.
- Sanchez 1-6. He'll also have better days.
- Obviously 0-10 from 3 point land isn't going to work against better teams.

Overall

This was a good game against a potential NCAA tournament team. The team came out with a lot of energy at home and took care of business. This team needs to figure out ways to shoot the basketball better. Winning will help make guys happy with their minutes.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 03:12:29 PM by Dave »
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Moose

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2013, 03:41:56 PM »

Good
-Obekpa got 1 block every 4 minutes. That is nearly about 1 every 4 defensive possessions.
-Under 10 turnovers
- Greene/Branch timeshare less is more. These guys were extremely efficient combining for 3-5 shooting for 13 points.

Bad
- Waves of energy on the floor. Yes this is a game of runs but they nearly let Wagner back in
- Only 10 assisted baskets. Perhaps this stat is skewed a bit due to amount of FT's
- Scoring distribution is lopsided. Not necessarily an issue but would have liked to see more capable scoring from other guys.

Ugly

Overall

This was a good game against a potential NCAA tournament team. The team came out with a lot of energy at home and took care of business. This team needs to figure out ways to shoot the basketball better. Winning will help make guys happy with their minutes.

If Sanchez and Jordan are part of the ugly category me thinks we're in pretty good shape.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2013, 12:24:23 AM »
Oddly enough, it seemed like early on in the game (I was away from home and gamecasting on my phone-so i could be wrong) we were getting a lot of assists, which I was excited about early. The assists went away, but we still figured out a way to score. Ya gotta think as branch and jordan get a little more comfortable the assists will go up.

MCNPA

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2013, 05:46:05 PM »

Good
-Under 10 turnovers

Bad

Ugly

Overall

If Sanchez and Jordan are part of the ugly category me thinks we're in pretty good shape.

Vey much so moose.  Those guys though, are going to be keys to our offensive production.  We need to get Jordsn confident in his scoring ability and taking more shots both driving and shooting from outside.  Same goes with Sanchez, who is a more talented shooter than he is showing right now.  If we can get Sanchez and Jordan putting up solid offensive numbers, it makes us that much more dangerous.  I think those guys will get a bunch better as the season wears on.