Jonathan Mitchell - PF - University of Florida - RUTGERS

• 17 replies

kjd01067

Jonathan Mitchell - PF - University of Florida - RUTGERS
« on: April 18, 2008, 08:07:54 AM »
http://stjohns.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=798768

Mount Vernon (N.Y.) native Jonathan Mitchell will turn up at St. John's, Seton Hall or Rutgers according to his uncle, Herb Mitchell.

"We're trying to do Seton Hall next weekend and then Rutgers the following weekend," Herb said. "We haven't set anything up with St. John's yet. My guess is they'll be right after Rutgers. We just haven't nailed a date down yet."

"We were obviously taken by surprise a little bit," Herb said. "Obviously, they're out of the picture and we're kind of going forward with Rutgers, Seton Hall and we touched base with St. John's."
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 01:57:32 PM by kjd01067 »

Re: Jonathan Mitchell - PF - University of Florida
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 10:41:59 PM »
Jonathan Mitchell will visit St. John's on the weekend of May 9th and 10th.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p= ... 9786&fhn=1

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 11:19:42 AM »
What's this kid's game like?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 11:28:46 AM »

That all depends JJ. I f he signs at Seton Hall, these guys well say his is fantastic, If Norm brings him in- he'll be average

pmg911

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 01:28:32 PM »

That all depends JJ. I f he signs at Seton Hall, these guys well say his is fantastic, If Norm brings him in- he'll be average

Another stellar basketball opinion...

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 01:29:27 PM »
Ok so anyone actually know anything about this kid?

Randomhero423

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 02:04:21 PM »
from what i've heard he sounds like that type of player who's very raw and a athlete.

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 03:53:06 PM »
 i think he is the opposite
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

kob24

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 08:52:12 AM »
wow i cant believe none of yall seen john mitchell play. he was mr basketball in new york people. he has a great mid range game. he has tuff post moves and a very very high basketball iq. he is the perfect compliment to justin. the kid is smart enough to cut to the basket when justin gets tripled teamed. and he can finish. he is not a super athlete but he can get up. i think he ends up at rutgers with his boy mike but i havent heard anything yet.

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 12:40:21 PM »
i saw him play when he was a junior in the state tournament against undefeated (at the time) spring valley.  he was totally dominant in mount vernon's blowout.  he had a problem making free throws but the rest of his game was there.

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 04:21:12 PM »
He is solid on D & on offense he was a very good inside out player at the H.S. level, seems to also let his game speak for him, not a very talkative player

I thought he could be a Jared Dudley type of player

As for his time at FL it  may have a good or bad effect on his career

Either it will make him a better overall player because he had to focus on rebounding & defending solely , for the first time he was used as a role player

Or on the downside, sometimes a player get stuck in role-player mode & can't recapture their prolific  form
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 02:02:53 PM »
No Mitchell

Two-Horse Race for Mitchell
It will be a two-horse race between Rutgers and Seton Hall for the services of Jonathan Mitchell, a 6-foot-7 former Mr. Basketball in New York State who is transferring from Florida.

"It's really those two," Herb Mitchell, Jonathan's uncle, said Friday. "We're going into it with our eyes open and we're taking it from there."

After Herb flies down to pick Jonathan up in Gainesville this week, the two will drive North to New York in time to visit Seton Hall beginning May 2. The Rutgers visit has yet to be finalized, although the Scarlet Knights have offered Mitchell a scholarship.

Herb left a message Friday morning for St. John's head coach Norm Roberts telling him that Jonathan was no longer considering the Red Storm.

"Jon called me (Thursday) night to talk and he just said, 'I'm not really feeling St. John's,'" Herb said Friday. "There's some things going on with the coaching situation and the uncertainty of whether Coach Roberts is going to be there or not. (Jonathan's) got to get it right, and if he makes that decision to go there and Coach Roberts is not there, he's sitting out a year and then he's back to square one again."

Roberts was supposed to be given an extension on his current contract, but on Thursday St. John's AD Chris Monasch said, "We're still working on all those details."

Herb added that the attrition rate at St. John's -- Larry Wright and Mike Cavataio recently announced their plans to transfer, bringing to 10 the total number of players who have departed under Roberts -- factored into Jonathan's decision.

"You read the articles, the number of people who have left the program," Herb said. "In Jonathan's situation, he realized he would just be doing a visit and he doesn't want to waste anybody's time."

That leaves Seton Hall and Rutgers to duke it out for the services of Mitchell, the all-time leading scorer in Mount Vernon High history, a rich tradition that includes Chicago Bulls guard Ben Gordon.

The late signing period begins May 21 and Mitchell will have to sit out the 2008-09 season wherever he ends up.

He has ties to both New Jersey schools. Mitchell teamed with Rutgers freshman guard Mike Coburn at Mount Vernon, and he played on the Riverside Church AAU team for current Seton Hall assistant Derm Player.

When Mitchell visits Seton Hall, he will be joined by Melvyn "Big O" Oliver, a 6-11, 340-pound center from Mississippi Elite Christian Academy, who made an oral commitment to Seton Hall coach Bobby Gonzalez earlier this week.

Mitchell is a versatile small forward who possesses an inside-out game with the ability to knock down shots from the perimeter, while rebounding well and finishing around the basket. At Florida, Mitchell had trouble finding a role and gaining minutes. He averaged 1.4 points as a freshman and 3.1 points and 1.8 rebounds off the bench as a sophomore.

He initially chose Florida over Marquette, Virginia and Miami and owns a national championship ring from Florida's first of back-to-back titles in 2006.

Randomhero423

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 02:08:06 PM »
no surprise. 

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2008, 02:17:39 PM »
that speaks volumes right there

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 11:07:19 PM »
per redmen.com and zags.....committed to Rutgers

Re: Jonathan Mitchell - PF - University of Florida - RUTGERS
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2008, 08:33:46 PM »

Daily News is reporting the samething. Rutgers is going to have nice building blocks in place with Rosario, Pat Jackson and Morriss coming in.

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 11:31:16 AM »

Daily News is reporting the samething. Rutgers is going to have nice building blocks in place with Rosario, Pat Jackson and Morriss coming in.
It may make them into almost a middle of the pack Big East program, but those guys aren't going to scare the upper echelon teams.

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 07:59:48 PM »
rutgers has no perimeter forwards on that team coming in except pat jackson (whose a MAJOR liability defensively), so in that sense it's a good move.  i always thought mitchell was highly overrated, though. He's not very quick, he plays too much on the perimeter, and he shoots an inconsistent knuckleball.  doesnt change the theme of the 2007-2008 recruiting year in the metropolitan area, which is: fred hill is thoroughly out-recruiting norm roberts
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap