Jim Whitesell

• 19 replies

paultzman

Jim Whitesell
« on: August 05, 2013, 09:28:05 AM »
“@AdamZagoria: St. Louis' Jim Whitesell will officially join the #Stjbb staff today or tomorrow”

SJUFAN

Re: Jim Whitesell
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 02:12:00 PM »
“@AdamZagoria: St. Louis' Jim Whitesell will officially join the #Stjbb staff today or tomorrow”

Anyone know what Whitesell's connection to Lavin is, if any?

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 05:08:08 PM »

Anyone know what Whitesell's connection to Lavin is, if any?

A trip to the Final Four was therapeutic, he said.

“I had a great conversation with Steve Lavin, who got fired at U.C.L.A,” Whitesell said. “He kind of walked me through what I was feeling. That was really helpful. Guys with better records than I had have been fired, and they told me it’s not the end of the world.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/10/us/10cncsports.html

paultzman

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 06:00:01 PM »
“@JonRothstein: St. John's officially names Jim Whitesell as assistant coach. Darrick Martin moves to Director of Basketball Operations. #stjbb”

paultzman

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 06:01:20 PM »
“@StJohnsBBall: @SJUCoachLavin Adds Assistant Coach Jim Whitesell To Elite And Specialized Staff: http://www.redstormsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/080513aaa.html #sjubb #stjbb”

paultzman

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 07:14:13 PM »
“@KieranDarcy: St. John's adds some more experience to Steve Lavin's staff: http://espn.go.com/new-york/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9541581/st-john-hires-jim-whitesell-assistant-coach

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 07:20:20 PM »
Can he fill Dunlap 's shoes as an x and o man?

MCNPA

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 07:23:37 PM »
Can he fill Dunlap 's shoes as an x and o man?

He might have a different style, but why not?  Majerus though enough of Whitesell.  Probably different perspectives, but that is good.  I wasn't in love with everything Dunlap did.  This guy specializes in half court sets and offenses as well as working with big guys.  All things we need.

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 07:47:51 PM »
I like this move. Don't know much about Whitesell but you got to respect his resume.

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 08:14:00 PM »
I hope the Chicago connection can get us in with some of that city's recruits.  They've been putting out so much more talent than NYC lately.

lihoop

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 09:06:58 PM »
welcome to the family Jim.  I think this will bring some balance to the coaching staff.

paultzman

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 09:12:26 PM »
Nice piece;
“@ECoastBias: A short history of new assistant coach Jim Whitesell - and his Steve Lavin connection #sjubb #stjbb http://sbn.to/14uWTpq

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 09:21:18 PM »
I bet Lavin tried to get Whitesell last year but it would have been inappropriate for him to leave with the uncertainty surrounding Majerus' health and the potential that he could be next in line to be their head coach.  This year St. Louis' situation with Jim Crews is settled and Whitesell probably realized if he was passed over for Crews there probably isn't much point in sticking around. This is a huge opportunity for him as the last guy who had the job of Lavin's x's and o's guru landed an NBA gig.

Moose

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 10:16:07 PM »
I hope the Chicago connection can get us in with some of that city's recruits.  They've been putting out so much more talent than NYC lately.

Isn't Phil Greene enough of an ally for that?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 10:16:14 PM »
Very well said, STJ11. Very well said. What a change in the program, huh. St. John's is now a launching pad for better things for coaches and players.

redslope

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2013, 10:50:58 AM »
Nice piece;
“@ECoastBias: A short history of new assistant coach Jim Whitesell - and his Steve Lavin connection #sjubb #stjbb http://sbn.to/14uWTpq

i liked that the article said he was good at developing big men.  Since this is the type of player being targeted for 2014, we have just added something to spice the pot as to what we have when recruiting them.

paultzman

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2013, 11:10:15 AM »
Nice piece;

i liked that the article said he was good at developing big men.  Since this is the type of player being targeted for 2014, we have just added something to spice the pot as to what we have when recruiting them.

Obekpa will benefit big time re: post game development IMO.

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2013, 01:51:19 PM »

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2013, 02:33:01 PM »
Welcome aboard coach! Can't wait to see what you do with our offensive system.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

paultzman

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 05:18:40 PM »
Whitesell Returns To Help SJU Hoops Team

Posted on November 21, 2013

By his own admission, Jim Whitesell is getting back to something he has been removed from for several years, as he begins his first season as an assistant for the men’s basketball team at St. John’s and head coach Steve Lavin.

“It’s certainly an adjustment,” said Whitesell, after the Red Storm’s 73-57 win over Wagner at Carnesecca Arena on Friday night. “St. Louis was a bigger adjustment. You’re used to calling the decisions. It’s enjoyable to sometimes sit back and be in charge of specific things. It’s a good perspective on what Coach Lavin goes through on a daily basis.”

Jim Whitesell

“I just tell him what’s working,” said Whitesell. “You don’t want to talk too much as an assistant. The coach already knows what he wants to tell his team.”

As an assistant, Whitesell has the ear of the head coach. With St. John’s up by eight early against a scrappy Wagner Seahawks squad, Steve Lavin had a quick word with his new assistant coach before he addressed his team in the huddle. St. John’s scored the next eight points on its way to a double-digit win.

Whitesell is enjoying his first year on the sidelines for the Red Storm, after spending the last two at St. Louis University. Before that, Whitesell spent 24 years as a head coach, winning 375 games. He won games in four different decades as head coach at three different schools in Illinois (Elmhurst, Lewis and Loyola).

Steve Lavin met his new assistant back in the 90s through Jim’s brother Patrick, who worked out of LA and saw Lavin at Lakers games. When there was an opening for an assistant, Lavin figured he knew a good fit, saying “He’s an excellent teacher who’s very patient in working with young people.”

Whitesell and his wife have grown accustomed to New York.

“I have five brothers, and three of them lived in Manhattan at one time or another,” Whitesell said, speaking of his family that is in the entertainment industry, as writers, directors, actors or agents.

He is also being influenced by Coach Lavin.

“Steve is so good with people. He challenges them, encourages them. He’s really positive. He really teaches them,” Whitesell said, citing the attention to detail shown by Lavin, and the motivation he receives. “Last Sunday, he was telling the team, we need to work better at our craft, whether it’s playing or coaching.”

- See more at: http://queenstribune.com/whitesell-returns-to-help-sju-hoops-team/#sthash.f8Gb7AOV.dpuf