Zagat

• 18 replies
Zagat
« on: February 17, 2014, 08:25:05 PM »
Since 1) The rare 9:00 start allows for ample pre-game time

and

Since 2) I'm bringing my Moms so my typical pre-game meal of bourbon and beer just won't do

and

Since 3) The winning streak has us all in a good mood and this should be a fun topic

What are your favorite/the best Madison Square Garden area food and drink spots? 

I trust you overly opinionated savvy vets way more than Zagat.  Please have at it.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 08:31:03 PM by carmineabbatiello »

Re: Zagat
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 08:28:13 PM »
A little Thai restaurant on the west side of 8th Ave between 32nd and 33rd.

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 08:33:32 PM »
It's a really tough area for food. I'd go with the Breslin on 29th and broadway.

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 08:49:16 PM »
Tough place to eat around Penn. For simple pub food I like Mustang Sally's. That place Seven on 7th ave is pretty good and the place is a nice place inside. For more $ Keen's is always good especially for their garlic mashed potatoes.

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 09:00:24 PM »
If you like really good Chinese food go to Chef Yu on 36th and 8th. 
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 11:53:17 PM »
You must not follow Jon Rothstein on twitter
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 11:53:45 PM by 0404 »

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 12:57:23 AM »
How is Stout?  Is the food Ok?

MCNPA

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 02:33:50 AM »
I had lunch at the Breslin last time I was at an afternoon game and it was good.  Cool old hotel as well.  Might head back there or try Keen's, not sure just yet.

pmg911

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 07:42:33 AM »
I had lunch at the Breslin last time I was at an afternoon game and it was good.  Cool old hotel as well.  Might head back there or try Keen's, not sure just yet.

Keens has always been solid choice -

Uncle Jack's is great but VERY expensive (even for NYC steakhouse)

Happy

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 08:36:55 AM »
It all depends on your mood.  IMO the surrounding area near Penn Station is the worst area in the city to eat.  As others have suggested Breslin and Keens are solid as is the John Dory Oyster House ( if you like seafood).   Nomad in the Nomad hotel is hands down the best food and bar in the area but a little on the pricey side.  good luck :)

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 01:37:01 PM »
Stout has okay food but it's obviously pricey. If you're not looking for anything fancy I'd reccomend The Bread Factory Cafe on 7th between 35th and 36th. Good food, tons of options, not pricey found it right before a game this year I've been back a couple times.

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 02:38:30 PM »
Try this little place called MacDowells.  It's got the Arcs

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 03:36:02 PM »
Try this little place called MacDowells.  It's got the Arcs

That's actually funny    :2funny:

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 02:58:07 AM »
I ended up at Stout for my first time ever.  We really enjoyed it.  That place is Johnny central. 

In the future I'll try most or all of the good suggestions you guys provided.  Thank you.

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 09:58:07 AM »
I went to Uncle Jack's.  On a steak house scale I would give it a 2 at best.  The Maitre D was a complete a-double S-Hole.  I never wanted to smack someone in the head so badly,.  Steak was not cooked to the request temp which for a steakhouse is unacceptable.  Bacon was burnt (with a terrible maple glaze), crab cake was cold in the middle.  Also, the steak itself wasn't even good for a "Steakhouse".  Says Raw bar but you can't order oysters. 

For the prices you are better off going somewhere else and pay the cab fare to get to the garden.

And that's how I really feel.

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2014, 10:00:04 AM »
I went to Uncle Jack's.  On a steak house scale I would give it a 2 at best.  The Maitre D was a complete a-double S-Hole.  I never wanted to smack someone in the head so badly,.  Steak was not cooked to the request temp which for a steakhouse is unacceptable.  Bacon was burnt (with a terrible maple glaze), crab cake was cold in the middle.  Also, the steak itself wasn't even good for a "Steakhouse".  Says Raw bar but you can't order oysters. 

For the prices you are better off going somewhere else and pay the cab fare to get to the garden.

It's why it is not called Happy Jack's. lol

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2014, 10:08:51 AM »

Think that The Who would sue them for defamation of character if they used that name

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2014, 10:29:28 AM »

Think that The Who would sue them for defamation of character if they used that name
Darn right.  Once I saw your post, I was humming the tune - lol.  Not in THAT restaurant for sure