Dexter Gray

• 4 replies
Dexter Gray
« on: June 26, 2008, 08:39:36 AM »
http://www.lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080626/SPORTS01/806260513

After spending his entire basketball career in the metropolitan area, Dexter Gray is hitting the road.

A road that goes through a lot of border checkpoints.

Gray signed a professional contract with Puente Alto C.D. Santiago of DIMAYOR, Chile's top basketball league. He'll report on July 2 and play the full six-month season.

"I'm going to be playing the 4-position and we're going to be running the triangle offense," he said.

Although he doesn't speak Spanish, he doesn't believe he'll have trouble communicating with teammates.

Coach Marcos Beltramella speaks English.

"It's going to be tough in the beginning, but I know I'll pick it up," he said. "I pick things up quick."

He is one of three Americans joining the team.

The 6-foot-7 forward led Iona in scoring and blocks his senior year. He was a two-time Journal News all-star at Mount Vernon before enrolling at St. John's.

He transferred to Iona as a sophomore.

kjd01067

Re: Dexter Gray
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 08:52:37 AM »
Was always a big fan of dexter.  I wished he would of stayed at St. John's but was over-recruited.  Wish him well and hope he becomes a star.

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 01:05:28 PM »
sounds like a great spot for the kid.  i wish him well.

sjd8886

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 02:03:18 PM »
has anyone seen pictures of him recently...it looks like he grew an inch since his days at st johns, but did he fill out a little...he wasn't exactly a force down low when he was here

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 03:31:04 PM »
second on the team in rebounding his freshman year.

effort stat.