Lynchpin

• 15 replies
Lynchpin
« on: March 19, 2014, 03:22:38 PM »
Alright, now that we have had a night and morning to get over that embarrassment from yesterday, I wanna hear some opinions on corrections to be made.

Does anybody think there is one big correction that can be made that can turn next season into a success? Maybe a new offensive gameplan, or more focus on rebounding? Something that we can change as a team that will turn all those close and disappointing losses into exciting wins.

IMO, I think we need a true on the court leader. For the most part, I believe Lavin is a good motivator and does a good job encouraging his players and getting a passable effort out of them, but I don't think we really have a player that does that, which is absolutely essential. At times Harrison is able to ignite a rally by hitting big shots, and last year it really seemed like Dom would come in and completely change the game with his energy, but neither of them do it consistently. A player can either lead by example or by being vocal and at this time we don't really have either of those.

Not enough can be said for good roster balance, coming in as a freshman and have a couple of seniors, couple of juniors etc. It is clear who is in charge out there, and the older players will have had the know how and understanding of what it takes to win games passed down. Our past two classes (including Lavins first team) have had to learn that themselves, bit by bit, which I think is incredibly difficult.

Anyway, anybody got any thoughts on this? What would you like to see change before next season?

Please no comments about getting new coaches or players, lets be realistic here.

Re: Lynchpin
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 03:31:36 PM »
If Jordan comes back and progresses the way I think he will the team will make the tourney no matter what craziness Lavin inflicts on them and us. Lack of shooting and forntcourt strength will doom us from doing anything more than 1 or 2 and done. That however would be and should be considered a successful season.

If Jordan does not come back we will be looking at another glorious NIT run. Plenty of seats will be available. Possibly ST John's could consider hosting at the Staten Island gym as 1,00 people will make that gym look packed.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 03:32:51 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 03:35:53 PM »
The team has no rudder.  Unless Jordan can do it.  Nobody else is a team leader seen that in the last 3 years

Marillac

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 03:37:27 PM »
I think adding two immediately eligible transfers is very realistic.  Mason and Lee would be amazing. 
Other than that:

Defense has to improve vastly
Rebounding mentality needs to change...especially on the offensive end
We need to create more mayhem

I expect Jordan to be a flatout stud...hopefully with a jumper because we desperately need that.  I hope Pointer transfers and/or Balamou takes all his minutes. 

Sampson needs to take the next step and eveyr player on this roster needs to hit the damn weightroom. 

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 03:40:36 PM »
I think the mayhem idea is a good one, our players excel at playing fast and we need to take advantage of that. I think though that comes back to having a dynamic leader who can ignite that.

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 03:43:59 PM »
I feel the Jarvis Freelance Offense coming back

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 04:01:04 PM »
Right now, the team is cupcake city, and that includes the coach.

Lavin should sit down with Knight, Pitino or even gonzo to learn how to make them play 40 minutes of rock hard basketball.  He's soft and the team gets its lead from him.

They have to learn footwork...bring in Jayson Williams to teach the bigs how to rebound.  You don't like Williams, then bring in Mel Davis, one of our all time great rebounders.  Hell, bring in Dennis Rodman. 

Bring in Chris Mullin to teach them how to make free throws.  The team should be working on that right now.

Start bringing star players who can carry the team.  Short of that, we'll always be looking at one or two and done's in the post season.  You win with stars and with a coach who can motivate.  Xs and Os have little to do with it.

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 04:05:18 PM »
I'd probably stay away from J-Will and Rodman from a PR standpoint...

Get Rick Barry to have them practice FT underhand.

goredmen

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 04:06:23 PM »

Lavin should sit down with Knight, Pitino or even gonzo to learn how to make them play 40 minutes of rock hard basketball.  He's soft and the team gets its lead from him.

They have to learn footwork...bring in Jayson Williams to teach the bigs how to rebound.  You don't like Williams, then bring in Mel Davis, one of our all time great rebounders.  Hell, bring in Dennis Rodman. 

Bring in Chris Mullin to teach them how to make free throws.  The team should be working on that right now.

Start bringing star players who can carry the team.  Short of that, we'll always be looking at one or two and done's in the post season.  You win with stars and with a coach who can motivate.  Xs and Os have little to do with it.

You only win with stars when you're one of the top 4 or 5 programs in the country like Duke, UK, Kansas etc. If you are a tier 3 or 4 program like we are you win consistently with experience, player development and coaching

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 04:19:34 PM »

You only win with stars when you're one of the top 4 or 5 programs in the country like Duke, UK, Kansas etc. If you are a tier 3 or 4 program like we are you win consistently with experience, player development and coaching

Good point, Duke and Kansas etc don't have good coaching or development.

Any team can win with stars, I don't know what you are talking about. All of the teams that are considered potential cinderallas this year are that way because they have a star or two that can take over and lead the team.

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 04:30:41 PM »

Any team can win with stars, I don't know what you are talking about. All of the teams that are considered potential cinderallas this year are that way because they have a star or two that can take over and lead the team.

Kansas has Norm...I guess that's what puts them over the top.

You make my point.  Any team can win with stars.  Every team comes up a loser without stars.

goredmen

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 04:39:44 PM »

You misinterpreted me. I never said Duke and Kansas dont have good coaching or development. Don't put words in my mouth. 

98% of "stars" that come into college basketball these days leaves after 1 or 2 seasons. That works for programs like Duke and Kansas because they have enough talent around those stars to really succeed. We wouldn't be great if we picked up 1 or 2 stars every couple years and had them leave after a year or 2 because they would be asked to do too much. VCU hasn't had any stars and they've been a great program recently thanks to experience, player development and coaching. Gordon Hayward was the only star to play for Butler and they made it to the national championship game the year after he left because of experience, player development and coaching. Wichita has very good players but I wouldn't consider any of them to be stars. They are undefeated because of experience, player development and coaching.

goredmen

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 04:42:07 PM »

Kansas has Norm...I guess that's what puts them over the top.

You make my point.  Any team can win with stars.  Every team comes up a loser without stars.

Name me all of VCU's stars that they've had in this current run of success. How about Virginia? San Diego State? BYU? Saint Louis? Yeah, all losers

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 05:17:56 PM »
I think the mayhem idea is a good one, our players excel at playing fast and we need to take advantage of that. I think though that comes back to having a dynamic leader who can ignite that.

I might be coming around to this way of thinking.  These guys are just terrible in half court offense and defense.  They give up a ton of open looks playing half court defense anyway (can't switch or fight through screens when playing man and cannot rotate when playing zone), so why not press all game?  This will generate the offense they also need desperately (although they have also shown an inability to finish at the rim lately, so...) 

The opposing viewpoint is this: teach them to play properly in the half court!  This staff may have proven that it cannot do that, though the team has looked good in spurts.  Basically I am throwing my hands up.  Who knows?

uwsfan

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 07:02:09 PM »
The  team needs a new coach.  period!

Bruins fans were right

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 09:14:42 PM »

Mel Davis was a monster on the boards the first day he walked on campus. Chris was a great shooter from  his first day here.  What is Mel, a little over 60?  There isn't a guy on this team that would have grabbed a single board from him in his prime, and perhaps even now. I would stick them in a ring with 60 year old Mel, and not give a single player a chance to walk out of there in one piece.  If these guys can't rebound or shoot free throws now, it's not happening next year or ever. I agree that it's the talent more than the Xs and Os that really matter. Unless you are Lavin. Then you need superstars. Mere stars may not be enough.