Robert Morris Game Thread

• 79 replies

Johnny23

Re: Robert Morris Game Thread
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2014, 06:51:54 AM »
Some posters above hit the nail on the head. This isn't going to magically get better next year because the players are all a year older. It's bigger than that. It's the culture and the lack of high level x's and o's, in-game coaching that will doom this team as long as Lavin's here. The way a team plays is a direct reflection of their head coach. This team looks lost, confused and disjointed on the court as does Lavin on the sidelines.

« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2014, 08:20:05 AM »
I think Branch had nightmares all night of 3s drained in his face.

« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2014, 09:01:29 AM »
F Troop wasn't on but alas I had my NCAA tourney fantasy draft last night so I was still able to miss the game as oddly no one at my draft wanted to dedicate the one TV in the back of the bar to finding the ST John's game. From what I have heard there were more people in my kitchen last night than at the game. The NIT committee might want to rethink letting ST John's host the NIT 1st round game next season

« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2014, 11:25:15 AM »
only good thing about last night was that Adonis de la Rosa got excited when we got it to 8...

boo3

« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2014, 12:46:32 PM »
Jordan and his sore throat had no problem firing off 100 tweets until 3am last night after the game... Poor guy.

« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2014, 02:22:41 PM »
Why is everyone berating Jordan? Do we know he could have played? He was one of the lone bright spots for the majority of the year.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2014, 02:33:06 PM »
Why is everyone berating Jordan? Do we know he could have played? He was one of the lone bright spots for the majority of the year.

Becuase nothing could ever be Lavin's fault so lets blame everyone else

boo3

« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2014, 08:17:36 PM »

Don't see what one has to do with the other.  Has anyone here, if you played any sports, ever sat out because of a sore throat?

Now ,if your theory is that the sore throat is a cover up for something else and Lavin suspended him or some thing, then fine.  But again, it comes off like Mel Gibson in Conspiracy theory

« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2014, 10:47:36 PM »
One positive note from last night's game-we shot 80% from the foul line. On a down note we only got to the line 5 times. Question for fellow posters-if we took 5 free throws and hit 80% how many free throws did we make? Please show your work. Extra credit to those who can write that Lavin has not proven he deserves a contract extension that does not include a favorable buy out provision in case he continues to fail to deliver ncaa t invites over the next season or  two.

« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2014, 11:06:21 PM »

Don't see what one has to do with the other.  Has anyone here, if you played any sports, ever sat out because of a sore throat?

Now ,if your theory is that the sore throat is a cover up for something else and Lavin suspended him or some thing, then fine.  But again, it comes off like Mel Gibson in Conspiracy theory

No idea, but Lavin got credit for sitting him in an important game after he had already played a game because of his family thing. I didn't understand that either. Maybe he had strep, maybe he was really suspended who knows. NIT is useless anyway so he cares.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 11:07:11 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2014, 12:51:43 AM »
What has this group accomplished that should have them sticking their noses up in the air at an NIT bid?  They've won nothing...they've done nothing...they've been taking regular a$$ whoopins for three years running and the NIT is beneath them?

The players quit on Hollywood yesterday!

Coaches, players, staff, fans and the entire university were disgraced by this shameful display. 

« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2014, 02:37:55 AM »
What has this group accomplished that should have them sticking their noses up in the air at an NIT bid?  They've won nothing...they've done nothing...they've been taking regular a$$ whoopins for three years running and the NIT is beneath them?

The players quit on Hollywood yesterday!

Coaches, players, staff, fans and the entire university were disgraced by this shameful display. 
Carmine my advice to you is to get a tall drink of water-it will help you swallow the excuses better!

« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2014, 09:21:54 AM »

Lavin did use the absence of Jordan for one of his excuses for the teams poor play.  I guess having top 50 high school star Jamal Branch wasn't good enough.  Mighty Robert Morris didn't look so tough last night losing to Belmont by 11.

Poison

« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2014, 10:37:36 AM »

This is one thing Lavin has in common with Norm. Nothing was ever Norm's fault. I blame this on Lavin. Every ounce of it. If he doesn't make the NCAAs next season, he's done here. I might fire him anyway. He stood in the way of the team's success. HE is the reason they didn't make it.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 10:38:09 AM by Poison »

« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2014, 11:00:57 AM »
Norm was the worst of the worst when it came to coaching, but the kids always played hard for him.

We cant say the same about the current regime.

« Reply #75 on: March 22, 2014, 11:52:16 AM »
Norm was the worst of the worst when it came to coaching, but the kids always played hard for him.

Norm's kids played hard for Lavin also no?

The kids on our roster now are as much at fault for not playing hard as the coaching staff.

I doubt the current roster would have played hard for Norm losing games by 20+ PTs night in and night out.

« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2014, 11:27:43 AM »

Welcome Hitman.

« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2014, 11:38:38 AM »

This is one thing Lavin has in common with Norm. Nothing was ever Norm's fault. I blame this on Lavin. Every ounce of it. If he doesn't make the NCAAs next season, he's done here. I might fire him anyway. He stood in the way of the team's success. HE is the reason they didn't make it.
Ironically, according to some, (for different reasons) both Norm and SL might be best suited as being lead assistant coaches.   

desco80

« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2014, 11:56:21 AM »
Some posters above hit the nail on the head. This isn't going to magically get better next year because the players are all a year older. It's bigger than that. It's the culture and the lack of high level x's and o's, in-game coaching that will doom this team as long as Lavin's here. The way a team plays is a direct reflection of their head coach. This team looks lost, confused and disjointed on the court as does Lavin on the sidelines.

Did anyone see Calipari's interview right after the UK- Wichita St game yesterday?   
They asked him if this is what he was waiting for? (meaning his team to come together)   and he said something along the lines of...

"Well, this is what you can't accept as a coach, and you have to be mean about it:  bad body language, lack of effort, selfish play, lack of focus - and people will say well he's yelling and screaming at them, well no kidding,  but you can't accept any of that as a coach - and what these guys have done is continued to grow and now you see none of that."

I thought that was pretty good.  Because even though they were younger, and much more heralded recruits, it was obvious UK was facing a lot of the same issues our team was this year.   They had the talent, but they weren't always on the same page and the effort wasn't always there.    Too many guys used to being the star and they didn't always make the extra pass etc.   
So anyway, I just thought that was an interesting perspective.    Hopefully Lavin is saying the same things a year from now.

edit: here's the link.   nothing special, but it struck home for me
http://www.cbssports.com/video/player/collegebasketball/204478019999/0/calipari-on-win-over-wichita-state
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 11:58:45 AM by desco80 »

Marillac

« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2014, 11:06:00 PM »

Norm's kids played hard for Lavin also no?

The kids on our roster now are as much at fault for not playing hard as the coaching staff.

I doubt the current roster would have played hard for Norm losing games by 20+ PTs night in and night out.

Lavin even turned Norm's kids into sissies.  Look at the rebounding #s from 2009-2010 to 2010-2011.  Rebounding is not big deal to Hollywood.  Get everyone too toos for next season.