2015/16----Pick and Roll----Pick and Pop

• 7 replies

hnk

2015/16----Pick and Roll----Pick and Pop
« on: March 26, 2015, 06:34:55 PM »
How many times did we run one of these basic basketball plays successfully this year?  Very, very few.  I hope we can add them to the offense next year.

Ali is a perfect candidate to set a high screen and pop.   I think as he gets more comfortable his shooting will take off.  CO if he comes back and can catch the pass is perfect for the pick and roll.

Re: 2015/16----Pick and Roll----Pick and Pop
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 06:47:55 PM »
How many times did we run one of these basic basketball plays successfully this year?  Very, very few.  I hope we can add them to the offense next year.

Ali is a perfect candidate to set a high screen and pop.   I think as he gets more comfortable his shooting will take off.  CO if he comes back and can catch the pass is perfect for the pick and roll.
Good call.  We also should go to a motion offense.  Team work moving the ball was much better this year than last. 

TONYD3

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 06:49:09 PM »

He played ok at times this year. He also was awful at times. Hoping he can get better. I want him to be good, but he no where near good. He hit a few shots, bricked more.

goredmen

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 07:45:09 PM »

offensive plays are a foreign language to our current coaching staff

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 07:49:02 PM »

Offense ran a lot of pick and roll this season. Was really effective with Dom.

More times than not guards rejected screen and got to the basket or penetrated and kicked.

Amar was only pick and pop player.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

hnk

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 07:50:19 PM »
We had plenty of screens, but the guards rarely if ever used them...and even more rarely gave the ball to the screener.

cjfish

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 08:40:28 PM »

CO doesn't have the footwork for a pick and roll, has no finishing ability except dunking.  Ali would probably work it, European game is more team oriented

Marillac

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 10:52:16 PM »

Agree with this.  I thought it was almost criminal that we didn't use Amar more on offense.  He has a lot to learn on D, but his offense, for a freshman, was pretty refined.  Getting him the ball on a pick-and-roll was out of the question even though he was open more often than not and wide open several times.  Guards need to realize that you giving their big man those touches will keep the pressure off them later in the game.  After Amar set his usual nice, hard screens, both guys would scramble to the ball-handler without any worry about Amar rolling to the basket.

Also, I was impressed with his coordination and passing. There is no good reason why we couldn't get him the ball down low and at least let him pass out of it to space the floor. 

The kid should have got the ball 6-7 times every game with the chance to shoot an open jumper--out of that he should have selected the best 2-3 per game to take instead of shooting the 1 or maybe 2 he would get at all. 

Also, a small but important detail...did anyone notice the efficiency in which Amar went from screening to rolling to the basket?  No delay...not even a false step to be seen.  Most bigs need an "oh yeah" second before they roll or take a step back before going to the basket.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 10:53:51 PM by Marillac »