For the sake of conversation: What if Lavin had stayed

• 45 replies
Re: For the sake of conversation: What if Lavin had stayed
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2016, 10:49:42 AM »
He would have brought in enough guys to bring us a dozen wins...maybe fifteen.  We'd be back to the youngest team in America mantra. There would have been a number of dramas which would become increasingly excruciating as the season moved on.  We would have been in the mix for some good players in 2016 with posters extolling their tremendous upsides.

I'm not convinced Mullin can coach.  He's shown nothing when it comes to teaching defense.  Some of this year's losses against sub-par teams were chilling.  He's bringing in good players, but whiffing on five stars.  We may never achieve relevance again.

On the other hand, he'll never be accused of being lazy.  He'll keep us on the map by the weight of his personality as did Looie. There won't be big time drama.  We'll enjoy the ride as New York City's team more often than not.  We'll compete in the watered down Big East.  Forget Lavin.

Why should we expect to ever land a 5 star recruit? There are only so many to go around, and we're far from one of the top programs in the country, and not even in a power 5 conference. At least we're in the mix with some of the names. We have two of the top recruiters in college basketball, so you know if these kids aren't coming here, it's just not possible to get them here at all. I don't know how the expectation was that we would. I'm just happy that the level of talent being brought in should make us a very good team for the foreseeable future. And there is no lack of hard work here.

As for Mullin, it's clear he's acting more as a GM than a coach. And what's wrong with that? Was Lavin ever known to be an X's an O's guy either?
We've had five stars in the past...and we'll probably get some if Slice and/or A stick around.   I like the guys we've brought in so far.  If there's a concern, it's our total lack of defensive presence...zero coaching in that area.  Even Looie brought in defensive guru Al Lobalbo. 

If St Jean doesn't up his game coachingwise, it's time to bring in a real guru.  Pitino has Willard...Calhoun had George Blaney...etc, etc.  Lavin had Dunlop.  Coaches who may project to be a better GM need help.  Again, Lavin's gone...but we don't want years of high level mediocrity down the road.

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2016, 11:54:48 AM »
He would have brought in enough guys to bring us a dozen wins...maybe fifteen.  We'd be back to the youngest team in America mantra. There would have been a number of dramas which would become increasingly excruciating as the season moved on.  We would have been in the mix for some good players in 2016 with posters extolling their tremendous upsides.

I'm not convinced Mullin can coach.  He's shown nothing when it comes to teaching defense.  Some of this year's losses against sub-par teams were chilling.  He's bringing in good players, but whiffing on five stars.  We may never achieve relevance again.

On the other hand, he'll never be accused of being lazy.  He'll keep us on the map by the weight of his personality as did Looie. There won't be big time drama.  We'll enjoy the ride as New York City's team more often than not.  We'll compete in the watered down Big East.  Forget Lavin.

Why should we expect to ever land a 5 star recruit? There are only so many to go around, and we're far from one of the top programs in the country, and not even in a power 5 conference. At least we're in the mix with some of the names. We have two of the top recruiters in college basketball, so you know if these kids aren't coming here, it's just not possible to get them here at all. I don't know how the expectation was that we would. I'm just happy that the level of talent being brought in should make us a very good team for the foreseeable future. And there is no lack of hard work here.

As for Mullin, it's clear he's acting more as a GM than a coach. And what's wrong with that? Was Lavin ever known to be an X's an O's guy either?
We've had five stars in the past...and we'll probably get some if Slice and/or A stick around.   I like the guys we've brought in so far.  If there's a concern, it's our total lack of defensive presence...zero coaching in that area.  Even Looie brought in defensive guru Al Lobalbo. 

If St Jean doesn't up his game coachingwise, it's time to bring in a real guru.  Pitino has Willard...Calhoun had George Blaney...etc, etc.  Lavin had Dunlop.  Coaches who may project to be a better GM need help.  Again, Lavin's gone...but we don't want years of high level mediocrity down the road.
agreed, would love a coach to go along with the two recruiters.  I hope st. jean is that guy, bc it looks like who we've got for the near future, but if it isn't him I hope mullin will make the right moves as GM and bring in a good xo guy ala dunlap.

TONYD3

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2016, 12:37:23 PM »
I don't know how anyone of you watched last season and can blame st. Jean. This team needs a head basketball coach not A GM. All of you see slice as a positive? He has an amazing reputation as a recruiter but this team needs an experienced basketball coach as the associate head coach.
 Can't have 2 recruiters, a GM for a head coach and a 23 year old  coaching the the team and expect to compete in the big east.
The most important guy in Syracuse basketball is Jim Boheiem, no Carmelo Anthony or any other player. Without him. They lost to an awful St. John's team. With him that same team is in the final 4.
This isn't the NBA. In college Mullin needs to be the man and  assert himself . GM's sit upstairs in a box . Head basketball coaches  coach thier teams.
I find it a schocking how many of you don't agree with this .

Poison

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2016, 12:57:04 PM »
I don't know how anyone of you watched last season and can blame st. Jean. This team needs a head basketball coach not A GM. All of you see slice as a positive? He has an amazing reputation as a recruiter but this team needs an experienced basketball coach as the associate head coach.
 Can't have 2 recruiters, a GM for a head coach and a 23 year old  coaching the the team and expect to compete in the big east.
The most important guy in Syracuse basketball is Jim Boheiem, no Carmelo Anthony or any other player. Without him. They lost to an awful St. John's team. With him that same team is in the final 4.
This isn't the NBA. In college Mullin needs to be the man and  assert himself . GM's sit upstairs in a box . Head basketball coaches  coach thier teams.

Lavin was a salesman but not the tactician. Mullin is what then? A name? He may be doing more than we can see, but a college basketball coach fits into one of two roles: tactician, like Boeheim, or a salesman like Lavin. It's too soon to truly judge Mullin on his coaching or his role in recruiting. The team did start playing better as the season wore on, but you can't have it both ways. Can't say that Mullin gets a pass because there's no talent, and then turn around and commend the staff on landing so many great players. They landed projects who helped them field a team. Hopefully, they turn into BE players. Only one freshman played like a BE player. The rest were Northeast Conference talents.

Tha Kid

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2016, 01:03:51 PM »

So you are around the program enough to declare that Mullin does not assert himself?
"I drink and I know things"

Tha Kid

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2016, 01:06:28 PM »

Lavin was a salesman but not the tactician. Mullin is what then? A name? He may be doing more than we can see, but a college basketball coach fits into one of two roles: tactician, like Boeheim, or a salesman like Lavin. It's too soon to truly judge Mullin on his coaching or his role in recruiting. The team did start playing better as the season wore on, but you can't have it both ways. Can't say that Mullin gets a pass because there's no talent, and then turn around and commend the staff on landing so many great players.

3 of the players the staff was "commended" on didnt play or were injured for big chunks of time --- Lovett, Owens, and Sima.  When Sima got hurt was exactly when we were starting to really look like we were maybe improving.  The staff was "commended" for getting such a good class in such little time on the job.  You are acting like we brought in MCDAAs and Mullin couldnt coach them up.

Season is over.  Take a deep breath, enjoy your team in the Final Four...also, do you know Mullin is not a salesman?  Just because his post game interview or demeanor doesnt scream SALESMAN doesnt mean he isnt the closer for these recruits either....

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2016, 01:07:31 PM »
If Lavin had stayed:

Marcus Lovett would be the best penetrator since Chris Paul, Federico Mussini would be our best shooter since Max Hooper and Brandon Sampson would be the best offensive player since James Harden.

Poison

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2016, 01:52:13 PM »
If Lavin was still here, he would be on a tight leash with President G. All the stories that broke after he left, with transcript issues, and adultery with sex tapes involved. Jordan being ineligible, because he blew off spring semester of classes. What would have happend with CO?

There was plenty of drama around the program before you even got to rebuilding. A lot of this disappeared when Lavin was fired.  Maybe Lavin would have lasted one more year (Let say President G gave him a one year extension).  In the end I think he would have been fired, because he brings to much drama to the program and the new regime would not have put up with it.

The adultery is none of G's damn business, or anyone else. He brought enough legitimate drama to the program that there is no need to focus on what doesn't concern us.

TONYD3

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2016, 01:56:40 PM »

So you are around the program enough to declare that Mullin does not assert himself?
No. But I took my nephew who is 9 to a game. He knew that Ed Cooley was the head coach of providence and he couldn't figure out who our coach was. Did you see something different from him?

Tha Kid

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2016, 02:01:05 PM »

No. But I took my nephew who is 9 to a game. He knew that Ed Cooley was the head coach of providence and he couldn't figure out who our coach was. Did you see something different from him?

Your nephew is very perceptive and applaud him for noticing the different styles between the coaches.

I did not notice anything different than your nephew, but having 20+ years on him, I have seen enough coaches to know that not every coach nor every great coach takes the same exact approach, even if the approach your nephew identified as indicative of the head coach is definitely the more prevalent one.

Poison

« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2016, 02:01:19 PM »

Lavin was a salesman but not the tactician. Mullin is what then? A name? He may be doing more than we can see, but a college basketball coach fits into one of two roles: tactician, like Boeheim, or a salesman like Lavin. It's too soon to truly judge Mullin on his coaching or his role in recruiting. The team did start playing better as the season wore on, but you can't have it both ways. Can't say that Mullin gets a pass because there's no talent, and then turn around and commend the staff on landing so many great players.

3 of the players the staff was "commended" on didnt play or were injured for big chunks of time --- Lovett, Owens, and Sima.  When Sima got hurt was exactly when we were starting to really look like we were maybe improving.  The staff was "commended" for getting such a good class in such little time on the job.  You are acting like we brought in MCDAAs and Mullin couldnt coach them up.

Season is over.  Take a deep breath, enjoy your team in the Final Four...also, do you know Mullin is not a salesman?  Just because his post game interview or demeanor doesnt scream SALESMAN doesnt mean he isnt the closer for these recruits either....

Except they didn't get such a good class. They did ok, considering what was available. MCDAAs? No, but you would think we landed some. We don't need Jordan because we have Mussini. We don't need Obekpa because Sima is better. What a load of shit. People can think what they want.

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2016, 02:05:02 PM »

Except they didn't get such a good class. They did ok, considering what was available. MCDAAs? No, but you would think we landed some. We don't need Jordan because we have Mussini. We don't need Obekpa because Sima is better. What a load of shit. People can think what they want.

Did anyone ever say we didn't need Jordan and Obekpa because we had Mussini and Sima in the fold? 

We didn't need Jordan and Obekpa because they are not part of a culture of accountability, team work, and winning. I'm sure that was repeated a bunch.

Foad

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2016, 02:22:21 PM »
I took my nephew who is 9 to a game. He knew that Ed Cooley was the head coach of providence and he couldn't figure out who our coach was

Did he have any insight as to what's going on with Cooley's head?

desco80

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2016, 02:45:46 PM »
There was a Lavin sex tape scandal?   How did I miss this?

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2016, 02:54:35 PM »
There was a Lavin sex tape scandal?   How did I miss this?
Rico Suave

desco80

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2016, 02:56:40 PM »
Ooohh.  Yea.  I think I saw maven complaining about that on twitter.

TONYD3

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2016, 02:58:10 PM »
I took my nephew who is 9 to a game. He knew that Ed Cooley was the head coach of providence and he couldn't figure out who our coach was

Did he have any insight as to what's going on with Cooley's head?
Seats were good. But not good enough to see th spots. He would have commented if we watched on tv.

Poison

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2016, 03:03:54 PM »

Did anyone ever say we didn't need Jordan and Obekpa because we had Mussini and Sima in the fold? 

We didn't need Jordan and Obekpa because they are not part of a culture of accountability, team work, and winning. I'm sure that was repeated a bunch.

Yes, I read plenty of posts where people thought that Mussini would replace Jordan, and quite a few where Sima was better than Obekpa. Even some that suggested that Sima was better Obekpa right now, which I think is absurd. I agree that they had off the court problems. We all know that. I was referring to fans that built up the new recruits as far more than they are.

I look at Mussini, and I see Heath Orvis. I look at Sima, and I see a shorter Constantine Popa. They both have a ton of work to do. The good news is, and I don't think anyone would disagree with this, is that Sima is far more mature than Obekpa. He carries himself like an adult. Mussini, I'm not so sure. I see him complaining a lot. I really think he was completely overwhelmed playing in the BE.

SJUFAN

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2016, 03:36:01 PM »

Returnees would have been Myles Stewart, Jay Henderson, Christian Jones, Amer Ali and Adonis De la Rosa. Would Obekpa have come back after living an episode of "Oz" in the locker room shower, brought to you by the De La Rosa brothers?

Brandon Sampson would be here. Maybe Deshawn Freeman. Maybe Mussini. Doughty and Lovett would still be ineligible. No way Jordan could come back, he stopped going to school in Spring semester.

Starting five of Adonis, CJ, Stewart, Sampson  and, I guess, Deshawn. I don't know about that crew.

We would have had Deshawn, Sampson, and Mussini. Lovett and Doughty may have redshirt, Lovett for sure.
Would have had either Obekpa or De La Rosa, probably De La Rosa.
Also would have landed Yakwe and it was a very high probability that Diallo would have signed as well.

2016 we may have very well brought in Ponds and Ahmed as we were recruiting them.

Lavin may have gotten lazy, but he was still one of the best recruiters.

Between the imaginary recruiting Lavin does as a TV commentator and the imaginary recruiting he did in this post that's a hell of a roster. If all your fantasies and Lavin's had come true do you think his actual recruits Alibegovic and Balamou would have had to transfer or would they have been permitted to walk on.

Not a fantasy and nothing imaginary about signing Lovett and Sampson, a top 50 player. Think Louie was the one who recruited Mussini? Lavin was having dinner with Mussini's mother in Italy, not Mullin. We were in the lead for Yakwe and in good position with Diallo. It is not a stretch to think Diallo would have committed to us. Lavin built a good relationship with the OSNA program.  We had plenty of ships to offer. You may despise Lavin, and that's well within your right, but lets not use that to skew reality. Was Lavin hitting the recruiting trail hard like we would have liked? No. But he was selectively out there enough to land some highly rated kids and would have continued to do so if he was retained. I was opposed to letting Lavin go as I had little confidence in the administration making a good hire. I think they made the right choice in Mullin.

Foad

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2016, 05:15:50 PM »
Not a fantasy and nothing imaginary about signing Lovett and Sampson, a top 50 player. Think Louie was the one who recruited Mussini? Lavin was having dinner with Mussini's mother in Italy, not Mullin. We were in the lead for Yakwe and in good position with Diallo. It is not a stretch to think Diallo would have committed to us. Lavin built a good relationship with the OSNA program.  We had plenty of ships to offer. You may despise Lavin, and that's well within your right, but lets not use that to skew reality. Was Lavin hitting the recruiting trail hard like we would have liked? No. But he was selectively out there enough to land some highly rated kids and would have continued to do so if he was retained. I was opposed to letting Lavin go as I had little confidence in the administration making a good hire. I think they made the right choice in Mullin.

Lavin's last two recruiting hauls were Keith "parking lot transcript" Thomas, Amar Alibegowitch, Samir Doughy, Sammy Barnes Thompkins, and Brandon Sampson, who averaged a whopping 4 ppg and shot 26 % from three on a shitty NIT Team.  I'm willing to stipulate he spent his summer vacation in Italy shoveling macaroni and gravy into fat face and you're "well within your right" to give him credit for Diallo and anyone else you care to in your rich fantasy life, despite the fact that no non head case recruit anyone wanted ended up at SJU after Jakarr Sampson. The facts are that Lavin sucked at coaching and stopped  hitting the recruiting trail hard as like we would have liked gave up on recruiting in 2011. There is nothing to be said but good riddance.