2016-2017 Schedule

• 254 replies

TONYD3

Re: 2016-2017 Schedule
« Reply #100 on: April 19, 2016, 07:11:22 PM »
I can't wait for Mullin/Neubauer Round 2. I sat in Rose Hill in December and watched Neubauer as he took a TO solely to put his starters back in at about the 2:30 mark. With the game well out of hand, it was obvious to the observant fan that it was not appreciated by Mullin.

ST Jean has to just file that away and use it for motivation.

"Stir Master" :)

Just having fun. As I said would make me feel better if Mullin looked more involved next year though

I think we'll see a very different Mullin. Basketball isn't rocket science, but college basketball today is very different from when he played and very different from the NBA he recently left.  He  had some catching up to do and growing pains to work through. He has a legendary work ethic and competitive drive.  I can't see him being okay with the coaches from Butler and Xavier being more successful than him.  I'd liken it to a really nasty gamer playing a game for the first time that others have been playing for a few years. 

At least, that is my hope.

That is everyone's hope. I can't wait to see it, but I am not assuming it will just happen.

paultzman

« Reply #101 on: April 20, 2016, 12:22:20 PM »
St. John's will play at Tulane next season, source told @CBSSports. Return game from Barclays Center event two years ago. #sjubb

Per Rothstein

Marillac

« Reply #102 on: April 20, 2016, 12:31:46 PM »
St. John's will play at Tulane next season, source told @CBSSports. Return game from Barclays Center event two years ago. #sjubb

Per Rothstein

That is a lot of games away from home.

Moose

« Reply #103 on: April 20, 2016, 02:23:53 PM »

Per Rothstein

Seems to be the Mullin way.  Less games and not marquee games at home.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #104 on: April 20, 2016, 02:30:21 PM »

Per Rothstein

This is a return game for a game played before Mullin was coach.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Moose

« Reply #105 on: April 20, 2016, 02:33:31 PM »

Per Rothstein

I'm referring to the lack of premier home games and lot of road games overall.

And also contracts for return games are broken all the time especially with coaching changes.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 02:41:01 PM by Moose »
Remember who broke the Slice news

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #106 on: April 20, 2016, 02:50:25 PM »

Per Rothstein

And also contracts for return games are broken all the time especially with coaching changes.

Per Rothstein

Hard to say that this will be an actual trend. It was a good call to have less games at MSG, and it maybe a good call this year.  The staff has gathered the piece and now they have to make them fit. I would expect more games in year three at MSG, that's when this team should be primed to do something great...I'm also ok with the team being good this year.
Cougar O' Malley

Marillac

« Reply #107 on: April 20, 2016, 03:23:02 PM »

Per Rothstein

Yeah, but I'd imagine Tulane doesn't  hold much leverage over us to demand it be this coming season. I wonder if Mullin has a clause where he gets a % of the cut for OOC road games? Maybe he's just setting up 2017-18 as THE year to have everything fall on place?

In any event, that is a tough schedule for a young team replacing half the roster from an 8- win team.  Good news is if they can pull out some wins on the road and neutral courts, they will get an RPI steriod injection.

« Reply #108 on: April 20, 2016, 04:48:13 PM »
Tulane???? So looking forward to this matchup

TONYD3

« Reply #109 on: April 20, 2016, 04:59:10 PM »
Tulane???? So looking forward to this matchup
would be a fun road trip

« Reply #110 on: April 20, 2016, 05:01:41 PM »

Per Rothstein

Maybe the decision was made by our AD, oh that's right we still don't have one.

paultzman

« Reply #111 on: April 20, 2016, 05:07:41 PM »

Per Rothstein

Maybe the decision was made by our AD, oh that's right we still don't have one.

But thought to be in contention for BE "Interim AD" of year. What a joke, SJU gives new meaning to the word "interim". In this complex & financially challenging era of college hoops, we go with the Ma & Pa Kettle approach. Is getting an experienced AD an alien concept there?

Poison

« Reply #112 on: April 20, 2016, 05:35:18 PM »
Any chance Tulane is good next year?

goredmen

« Reply #113 on: April 20, 2016, 05:36:56 PM »

Don't think so. They were pretty bad this year and lost their 2 best players

Poison

« Reply #114 on: April 20, 2016, 05:48:48 PM »

Well, it sounds like a warm up road game. Maybe it's not much different than Fordham last year. It was no accident that we had what we thought was a patsy for our first road game. Tulane isn't a pointless game. They are still considered a decent opponent, and they will be for a group that has never won a road game.

That said, I like to see the University honor a commitment. They came here, and we beat the hell out of them. I honestly felt badly for them. It's only fair that we play them in their house, and the from the sound of it, it's a game we can win.

I don't think they need to go too crazy scheduling tough pre season games. We already have @SU, Atlantis, a much improved Fordham team, Minnesota and now a CUSA team. That's not a bad start.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 05:50:24 PM by Poison »

goredmen

« Reply #115 on: April 20, 2016, 05:56:32 PM »

Well, it sounds like a warm up road game. Maybe it's not much different than Fordham last year. It was no accident that we had what we thought was a patsy for our first road game. Tulane isn't a pointless game. They are still considered a decent opponent, and they will be for a group that has never won a road game.

That said, I like to see the University honor a commitment. They came here, and we beat the hell out of them. I honestly felt badly for them. It's only fair that we play them in their house, and the from the sound of it, it's a game we can win.

I don't think they need to go too crazy scheduling tough pre season games. We already have @SU, Atlantis, a much improved Fordham team, Minnesota and now a CUSA team. That's not a bad start.

Tulane is in the AAC

« Reply #116 on: April 20, 2016, 08:46:14 PM »

Per Rothstein

That is an A plus road trip destination right there.

« Reply #117 on: April 20, 2016, 09:21:38 PM »
maybe the rematch was expedited with Mike Dunleavy becoming HC @ Tulane  if he and Mullin were close from NBA ties.

redslope

« Reply #118 on: April 20, 2016, 10:15:35 PM »
The Minn road game is also a home and home situation--last year we had a home game in the BE/B10 challenge; now our turn to go on the road

« Reply #119 on: April 20, 2016, 10:20:49 PM »
maybe the rematch was expedited with Mike Dunleavy becoming HC @ Tulane  if he and Mullin were close from NBA ties.
They grew up about ten blocks away from each other in Flatlands.  Dunleavy a lot older then Mullin obviously.  But Mullin also had Dunleavy's son out in Oakland.