2016-2017 Schedule

• 254 replies

desco80

Re: 2016-2017 Schedule
« Reply #80 on: April 18, 2016, 09:10:31 PM »
We will not be playing a marquee out of conference game at MSG this year.

We will start a home and home versus UCONN in 2017-2018 season, probably on road with Syracuse being home.
Why is that ? Getting a big time team would sell tickets and make money. Ohio state, Michigan, or an ACC team would do well.

Sell tickets for who?  The opponent?

I get that you can't stand the influx of Cuse fans when we play them at MSG.  And I have no doubt it will be the same thing when we restart the UCONN series.
But don't you want to see us play an exciting team we don't normally see in person?     Michigan State, Indiana, UCLA, Gonzaga... I don't care.   It's not like those teams will pack the place like Cuse does.

I don't get how trotting a premier opponent out there to season ticket holders does anything when at the end of the day they will just pack out the place.  See Cuse and Duke.  I'm sure it will be the same when we play Uconn.

Sure let's schedule someone else but doesn't seem like teams are knocking down doors to come here.  besides they can play at MSG how many other days a season and not involve us.

I'm ok with not commiting to "premier" opponents who will bring more fans.   But there are other quality teams who will play at the garden over winter break before conference play starts.

I look at it the same way I do the Giants schedule ... the Eagles and cowboys are the games I circle on the schedule obviously.   But it's also cool to see the Steelers come to NY every few years, or the Ravens ir some other afc team I only ever see on tv.

The program could reach out to half a dozen teams in the big12 and find a simple home and away agreement.
Doesn't even need to be premier like Kansas.
Bring in Iowa st or Texas am.   Or even west virginia.

I think it just makes the schedule more interesting and appealing.  It's great to play in Maui or Atlantis .. but the only non big east teams we see at msg are fordham or rutgers.

I could even live with an interesting A10 opponent.  Let's play st Joe's, Temple, or Dayton.    Just tired of seeing cupcakes and then straight to conference games. 

« Reply #81 on: April 18, 2016, 09:15:07 PM »
From the standpoint of the average basketball/sports fan and most media types, there will never be a scenario in which it is "expected" or "ok" for us to lose to any local program aside from Seton Hall or Rutgers.  It has nothing to do with the quality of the other locals.  It has everything to do with perception, and only those of us who post on this board and others like it would understand that, with this past season's roster, it is not out of the question that we would lose to a Fordham (as we did), or Iona, or Monmouth.

I love many of the small school locals, particularly Iona, but at the end of the day I have no issue with playing them as long as we have enough high major out of conference games.  Need to schedule some cupcakes, for many many reasons.  And if we are going to play a local, I have no problem with it being Fordham because of tradition and because they are in the A-10.  Scheduling Niagara at Carnesecca versus Iona will have little impact from a fan attendance standpoint.  So if Niagara is the easier game, so be it.

goredmen

« Reply #82 on: April 18, 2016, 09:19:32 PM »
From the standpoint of the average basketball/sports fan and most media types, there will never be a scenario in which it is "expected" or "ok" for us to lose to any local program aside from Seton Hall or Rutgers.  It has nothing to do with the quality of the other locals.  It has everything to do with perception, and only those of us who post on this board and others like it would understand that, with this past season's roster, it is not out of the question that we would lose to a Fordham (as we did), or Iona, or Monmouth.

I love many of the small school locals, particularly Iona, but at the end of the day I have no issue with playing them as long as we have enough high major out of conference games.  Need to schedule some cupcakes, for many many reasons.  And if we are going to play a local, I have no problem with it being Fordham because of tradition and because they are in the A-10.  Scheduling Niagara at Carnesecca versus Iona will have little impact from a fan attendance standpoint.  So if Niagara is the easier game, so be it.

It's one thing to lose to a Fordham on a year like this when there was no preseason buzz or expectations. It's another for there to be buzz around the program leading up to the season and then dropping a game to a Fordham, Iona or Hofstra for the casual followers to lose interest immediately

ras

« Reply #83 on: April 18, 2016, 10:25:59 PM »
If losing to Iona knocks us off any bubble. We don't belong in any tournament. the benefits of playing local good teams in my mind far out weigh any negatives .

What exactly are the benefits?
Playing Binghamton has zero fan interest. Playing Iona would be better. Not amazing but better. Playing speedy Claxton and Hofstra gerarated some Interest. Playing Manhattan with Luis Flores were some good games. We lost more then We should have to those teams. But they didn't cost us anything. We lost because we weren't very good.
From a fan standpoint. I would rather play Manhattan then incarnate word.
All games would have to take place on campus. No reason to give any school a home game. No reason to embrass ourselves and play at MSG or Barclays .

I think playing the locals is a lose lose situation for St.John's. They are supposed to be better than the locals, even though this year, we were actually the absolute worst local for the first time in our history. I'm ok w playing the locals, but not until we get our shit together. No sense in getting housed by Iona or Hofstra. We've been there and it sends a clear message to local talent that we're a joke. If we avoid them, we can do a little better at hiding how bad we are.
if we loose to an Incarnate Wood, there is no hiding how bad we are.

QuanMan

« Reply #84 on: April 19, 2016, 12:10:49 AM »
I can't wait for Mullin/Neubauer Round 2. I sat in Rose Hill in December and watched Neubauer as he took a TO solely to put his starters back in at about the 2:30 mark. With the game well out of hand, it was obvious to the observant fan that it was not appreciated by Mullin.
Section 3
Section 116

Poison

« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2016, 12:36:31 AM »
I can't wait for Mullin/Neubauer Round 2. I sat in Rose Hill in December and watched Neubauer as he took a TO solely to put his starters back in at about the 2:30 mark. With the game well out of hand, it was obvious to the observant fan that it was not appreciated by Mullin.

They could beat us again.

Poison

« Reply #86 on: April 19, 2016, 12:37:40 AM »
If losing to Iona knocks us off any bubble. We don't belong in any tournament. the benefits of playing local good teams in my mind far out weigh any negatives .

What exactly are the benefits?
Playing Binghamton has zero fan interest. Playing Iona would be better. Not amazing but better. Playing speedy Claxton and Hofstra gerarated some Interest. Playing Manhattan with Luis Flores were some good games. We lost more then We should have to those teams. But they didn't cost us anything. We lost because we weren't very good.
From a fan standpoint. I would rather play Manhattan then incarnate word.
All games would have to take place on campus. No reason to give any school a home game. No reason to embrass ourselves and play at MSG or Barclays .

I think playing the locals is a lose lose situation for St.John's. They are supposed to be better than the locals, even though this year, we were actually the absolute worst local for the first time in our history. I'm ok w playing the locals, but not until we get our shit together. No sense in getting housed by Iona or Hofstra. We've been there and it sends a clear message to local talent that we're a joke. If we avoid them, we can do a little better at hiding how bad we are.
if we loose to an Incarnate Wood, there is no hiding how bad we are.

No, but I think the points being made about playing locals are focusing on the last 25 years. See avoid them after they beat us. It's our thing. It's completely obvious.

Moose

« Reply #87 on: April 19, 2016, 07:21:28 AM »

We win that game with Lovett.  No questions asked.
Remember who broke the Slice news

TONYD3

« Reply #88 on: April 19, 2016, 08:12:21 AM »

We lose that game with Dwight Hardy

« Reply #89 on: April 19, 2016, 09:16:55 AM »

ST Jean has to just file that away and use it for motivation.

QuanMan

« Reply #90 on: April 19, 2016, 09:19:05 AM »

We have three 4-star recruits and others joining our roster, where they lose Canty, Rhoomes, and Severe, cmon guys.
Section 3
Section 116

paultzman

« Reply #91 on: April 19, 2016, 09:19:30 AM »

"Stir Master" :)

« Reply #92 on: April 19, 2016, 09:22:56 AM »

Just having fun. As I said would make me feel better if Mullin looked more involved next year though

TONYD3

« Reply #93 on: April 19, 2016, 09:25:36 AM »

We have three 4-star recruits and others joining our roster, where they lose Canty, Rhoomes, and Severe, cmon guys.
I meant last year. We should not lose this year, or any years in future. Last year we got killed.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 09:26:12 AM by TONYD3 »

ras

« Reply #94 on: April 19, 2016, 10:53:24 AM »

Just having fun. As I said would make me feel better if Mullin looked more involved next year though
It would make me feel better if we win. I don't care if Mullin is sitting on the scorers table while winning.

Wods317

« Reply #95 on: April 19, 2016, 11:21:53 AM »

It would make me feel better if we win. I don't care if Mullin is sitting on the scorers table while winning.

If we win and make the tournament consistently I don't care if Mullin sleeps in his chair. This won't be an issue movin forward when we start winning.

« Reply #96 on: April 19, 2016, 12:12:47 PM »

Would think 8-24 is motivation enough.

« Reply #97 on: April 19, 2016, 12:35:31 PM »

If we win and make the tournament consistently I don't care if Mullin sleeps in his chair. This won't be an issue movin forward when we start winning.

Oh, it'll be an issue with some people, no doubt. ;)

ras

« Reply #98 on: April 19, 2016, 01:20:43 PM »

Would think 8-24 is motivation enough.
If last year doesn't provide motivation ,I don't know what does.

Marillac

« Reply #99 on: April 19, 2016, 06:43:16 PM »

I think we'll see a very different Mullin. Basketball isn't rocket science, but college basketball today is very different from when he played and very different from the NBA he recently left.  He  had some catching up to do and growing pains to work through. He has a legendary work ethic and competitive drive.  I can't see him being okay with the coaches from Butler and Xavier being more successful than him.  I'd liken it to a really nasty gamer playing a game for the first time that others have been playing for a few years. 

At least, that is my hope.