2016-2017 Schedule

• 254 replies
Re: 2016-2017 Schedule
« Reply #180 on: May 17, 2016, 05:09:47 PM »
Hosting Delaware state per rothstein

The team with still no coach

No, that is Delaware. Historically State is worse. Quite a lousy record last year lol.
http://www.dsuhornets.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=12900&SPID=5813&SPSID=82264

My bad I can't read

Guess this schedule is to give the players confidence after last? who knows. But why these school.,
Why not local schools?

redslope

« Reply #181 on: May 17, 2016, 06:43:41 PM »
Hosting Delaware state per rothstein

The team with still no coach

No, that is Delaware. Historically State is worse. Quite a lousy record last year lol.
http://www.dsuhornets.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=12900&SPID=5813&SPSID=82264

My bad I can't read

Guess this schedule is to give the players confidence after last? who knows. But why these school.,
Why not local schools?

look at virtually every major college and you will see they don't play mid major locals as it is more embarrassing to lose to a local than someone from Delaware.  Michigan doesn't play Detroit/Wright State/Oakland.  Hoyas don't play American/GWU/ G Mason; they played MD last year but that was in BE/B10 challenge.  These games are one offs where the big school does not have to commit to a home and home in a 1,500 seat arena.  Locals might like a return game such as FU. 

That said, I would rather play some locals so I can have some "dialog" with friends.  The only place you see the locals play is Philly with "The Big Five"; would love something similar here in NYC--say us, FU, MC, Col. and one of the NE schools (sorry Baldi but NYC only).

« Reply #182 on: May 17, 2016, 06:44:04 PM »
Seems as though the plan is to eat enough early season cupcakes to have a realistic shot at a .500 record and the NIT.  I don't have a problem with that. Having this young team play extra games anywhere would be a very good outcome. You have to walk before you can run. We won 8 games last year.

Foad

« Reply #183 on: May 17, 2016, 07:49:19 PM »
But why these school

Maybe Mullin's a Clifford Brown fan

« Reply #184 on: May 17, 2016, 08:37:28 PM »
This makes sense as to why they are scheduling such cupcakes.  The Big East has quickly become one of the best conferences in the country. And with only 10 teams and a true round robbin format you have to get the cupcakes when you can.

In the ACC you have the lower teams like a Boston College and Wake Forest, etc.

Big East you have Depaul and that's about it.
Creighton is going to good next year, Butler is going to be solid next year. Georgetown is Georgetown. Marquette is going to be solid, Villanova and Xavier are going to be elite. Seton Hall and Providence are up in the air because of the draft but could be good. 

Thats 16 games against great competition, Big East has enough respect now that these teams can afford to schedule Delaware State and still end the season with a solid SOS.

« Reply #185 on: May 18, 2016, 12:56:18 AM »
But why these school

Maybe Mullin's a Clifford Brown fan

He sure should be.

Poison

« Reply #186 on: May 18, 2016, 01:38:34 AM »
This makes sense as to why they are scheduling such cupcakes.  The Big East has quickly become one of the best conferences in the country. And with only 10 teams and a true round robbin format you have to get the cupcakes when you can.

Creighton is going to good next year, Butler is going to be solid next year. Georgetown is Georgetown. Marquette is going to be solid, Villanova and Xavier are going to be elite. Seton Hall and Providence are up in the air because of the draft but could be good. 

Thats 16 games against great competition, Big East has enough respect now that these teams can afford to schedule Delaware State and still end the season with a solid SOS.

I think the BE needs its success to go beyond Nova to be one of the best conferences in the country. Big 12, Big Ten, ACC and Pac 12 are still stronger IMO. The BE does have DePaul, but they also have us, and we were as bad any high major program, except Rutgers. Our conference could be among the top 3, or even 1 but STJ and DePaul need to tow the line.

paultzman

« Reply #187 on: May 18, 2016, 08:31:02 AM »
Per Rothstein, "St. John's will host Bethune Cookman as part of its 16-17 non-conference schedule, source told @CBSSports. #SJUBB"

Guam State next?

« Reply #188 on: May 18, 2016, 08:41:41 AM »

I think the BE needs its success to go beyond Nova to be one of the best conferences in the country. Big 12, Big Ten, ACC and Pac 12 are still stronger IMO. The BE does have DePaul, but they also have us, and we were as bad any high major program, except Rutgers. Our conference could be among the top 3, or even 1 but STJ and DePaul need to tow the line.

SJU?  So after one bad year suddenly SJU is DePaul?  Marquette has missed the Tourney 3 straight years, SHU missed it 9 straight years (07-2015), Georgetown has missed it 2 out of the last 3 years.

Everybody understands those conferences are better and everybody understands what needs to be done (SJU and Georgetown and Marquette in particular need to be regular powers). 

« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 08:46:32 AM by fordham96 »

« Reply #189 on: May 18, 2016, 08:45:20 AM »
Per Rothstein, "St. John's will host Bethune Cookman as part of its 16-17 non-conference schedule, source told @CBSSports. #SJUBB"

Guam State next?

I think some of you guys need to stop following Rothstein.  The guy is tweeting every game he finds out about, like Virginia vs Yale etc.  In other words if you found out about the schedule, THE ENTIRE SCHEDULE, including the bigger opponents on one tweet or link my guess is most of you would not make that big of a deal about the smaller opponents. 

But debating each and every opponent as it drips out from a Rothstein tweet is sort of mindless. jmho

« Reply #190 on: May 18, 2016, 09:06:10 AM »

Guam State next?

Losing to Guam St. Is better than losing to a good local. Or so I'm told here

Poison

« Reply #191 on: May 18, 2016, 09:28:15 AM »

SJU?  So after one bad year suddenly SJU is DePaul?  Marquette has missed the Tourney 3 straight years, SHU missed it 9 straight years (07-2015), Georgetown has missed it 2 out of the last 3 years.

Everybody understands those conferences are better and everybody understands what needs to be done (SJU and Georgetown and Marquette in particular need to be regular powers). 

Since the early 90s, how many high major programs have contributed less to college basketball than Depaul and St.John's. I think the two programs have a lot in common. Were we better than them last few years, sure. Mostly, we were the taller dwarf aside from 2 NCAA seasons under Lavin.

Getting back to the schedule, I think after one win, you schedule a lot of shitty teams, because you're still a shitty team. They need time to figure out how to assemble this team. It could be a wide range of combinations in terms of line ups.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 09:30:53 AM by Poison »

« Reply #192 on: May 18, 2016, 09:56:33 AM »

Since the early 90s, how many high major programs have contributed less to college basketball than Depaul and St.John's. I think the two programs have a lot in common. Were we better than them last few years, sure. Mostly, we were the taller dwarf aside from 2 NCAA seasons under Lavin.

Getting back to the schedule, I think after one win, you schedule a lot of shitty teams, because you're still a shitty team. They need time to figure out how to assemble this team. It could be a wide range of combinations in terms of line ups.

What?  Plenty and you could chalk up most of the BE to that list.

You post such nonsense.  The entire BE outside of maybe Villanova has a lot to prove.

« Reply #193 on: May 18, 2016, 09:57:10 AM »

You post such nonsense.  The entire BE outside of maybe Villanova has a lot to prove.

And BTW you are going back 25 years now, come on.  Nobody was talking about that.

Poison

« Reply #194 on: May 18, 2016, 12:47:04 PM »

Most? No. Not even close. Tell me smart guy, since 2000, how does STJ's body of work compare to that of GTown, Creighton, Marquette, Xavier, Providence and Butler?

Marillac

« Reply #195 on: May 18, 2016, 01:04:04 PM »
There is no comparing DePaul and St. John's. We've had hard times, but they've been embarrassing. DePaul has made one tournament (2003-2004) in a season that started this millennium.  They haven't won more than 12 games in a season since 2006-2007.

Poison

« Reply #196 on: May 18, 2016, 01:23:29 PM »
There is no comparing DePaul and St. John's. We've had hard times, but they've been embarrassing. DePaul has made one tournament (2003-2004) in a season that started this millennium.  They haven't won more than 12 games in a season since 2006-2007.

I don't disagree. But that is who we've outperformed. Maybe you can make for Seton Hall, but that's it. Everyone else is way ahead of us.

« Reply #197 on: June 15, 2016, 07:10:23 PM »
Is Niagara on the schedule?

paultzman

« Reply #198 on: June 17, 2016, 01:56:41 PM »

Per Rothstein

St. John's will return a game at Long Beach State during the 17-18 season, source told @CBSSports. Part of home-and-home series. #SJUBB

goredmen

« Reply #199 on: June 21, 2016, 12:15:51 PM »
Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein  5m5 minutes ago
St. John's will play pickup against Iona on Sundays this summer, sources told @CBSSports. Red Storm will play Hofstra during week. #SJUBB

Somehow I don't think this will satisfy Baldi