Disrespect from Bleacher Report

• 38 replies
Disrespect from Bleacher Report
« on: August 09, 2016, 08:23:11 PM »
How disrespectful is Bleacher Report for putting us 9 out of 10 in BE despite the additions and other teams' departures? We should be middle of the pack.

1. Nova
2. Xavier
3. Creighton
4. Georgetown
5. Butler
6. Marquette
7. Seton Hall
8. Providence
9. St. John's
10. DePaul

http://www.rumbleinthegarden.com/2016/8/8/12403098/early-projections-bleacher-reports-predicts-big-east-order-of-finish

bk8664

Re: Disrespect from Bleacher Report
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 08:40:19 PM »
How disrespectful is Bleacher Report for putting us 9 out of 10 in BE despite the additions and other teams' departures? We should be middle of the pack.

1. Nova
2. Xavier
3. Creighton
4. Georgetown
5. Butler
6. Marquette
7. Seton Hall
8. Providence
9. St. John's
10. DePaul

http://www.rumbleinthegarden.com/2016/8/8/12403098/early-projections-bleacher-reports-predicts-big-east-order-of-finish

Guilty...until proven innocent.

Poison

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 08:46:18 PM »

1. Nova
2. Xavier
3. Creighton
4. Georgetown
5. Butler
6. Marquette
7. Seton Hall
8. Providence
9. St. John's
10. DePaul

This is fine. No expectations here. Expectations do not often work out in our favor. If we play well, and kids like LoVett and Ponds are legit, we'll be the surprise of the BE. 

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 09:26:46 PM »
I get we are not expecting to finish top of the conference. But middle of the pack is not too much to ask in the least bit at least 5th or 6th. Too much talent finish that low at 9th or 10th. In addition to some of the solid players coming in to compliment the existing core. We have the top class in the BE coming in and our rivals have lost ALOT.

You need to have expectations for this team (albeit tempered to a degree). The redshirt year is over.  Middle of the pack this year and contention next year. No excuses. NIT birth should be lock with knocking on NCAA doors.

goredmen

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 09:45:33 PM »
Who cares about any of the content on Bleacher Report

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 09:49:42 PM »
Bleacher Report isn't the best site, most of the bloggers don't know a damn thing

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 10:17:17 PM »

Considering they are the 3rd largest sports site in the world (ESPN, Yahoo rank ahead) I'd say a lot.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 11:19:37 PM »

1. Nova
2. Xavier
3. Creighton
4. Georgetown
5. Butler
6. Marquette
7. Seton Hall
8. Providence
9. St. John's
10. DePaul

would rather have low expectations and outperform them. will be good pr

goredmen

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 11:46:07 PM »

Considering they are the 3rd largest sports site in the world (ESPN, Yahoo rank ahead) I'd say a lot.

Nobody visits that site for detailed analysis of college basketball conferences. They visit it to see a slideshow of the 15 hottest NASCAR wives

Poison

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 12:25:27 AM »
I get we are not expecting to finish top of the conference. But middle of the pack is not too much to ask in the least bit at least 5th or 6th. Too much talent finish that low at 9th or 10th. In addition to some of the solid players coming in to compliment the existing core. We have the top class in the BE coming in and our rivals have lost ALOT.

You need to have expectations for this team (albeit tempered to a degree). The redshirt year is over.  Middle of the pack this year and contention next year. No excuses. NIT birth should be lock with knocking on NCAA doors.

We are coming off a one win season. This isn't unreasonable at all. It's unreasonable to question it. As far as anyone knows right now we are a safe bet to be a bad team even if we improve a ton.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 12:26:08 AM by Poison »

LoganK

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 07:35:26 AM »

Nobody visits that site for detailed analysis of college basketball conferences. They visit it to see a slideshow of the 15 hottest NASCAR wives
The app is still useful for breaking news.  Customizable so you only get news about sports/teams you care about.  Also great for hottest wives...

tnice

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 08:46:23 AM »
I didnt check this article specifically, but 95% of the articles I've ever read on Bleacher Report are written by some kid a year or two out of college. Most of the pieces are poorly written and not well thought out. I mean, rock on, get that experience and all, but that doesnt mean I have to take your opinion seriously.

That said, you start out any year with expectations for a range of outcomes. If you think the Johnnies should be picked 6th, then 9th really isnt outrageous, its just the low end of expected outcomes. I agree that they'll probably finish higher than 9th. I knew some teams like Providence were losing major talent, but I didnt realize how many other teams were as well But we're going to be relying on a significant contribution from guys who have never played a minute of D-1 basketball. Totally fair for non SJU fans to take a wait and see attitude on expectations for our boys.

Foad

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2016, 08:47:26 AM »

Early criticism of Bleacher Report stemmed from the network's initial commitment to an open-source publishing model. Such critiques cited the fact that all registered B/R users were permitted to publish articles on the site

[...]

Since abandoning the open-source model in 2010, B/R has been the subject of continued criticism for its exploitation of unpaid contributors, its blanket policy prohibiting writers from breaking their own news, and its high-volume production of low-quality, search-optimized slideshow content. These critiques found their strongest voice to date in an October 2012 SF Weekly article, in which tech columnist and entrepreneur Vivek Wadhwa was quoted accusing B/R of "dumbing down of the web" with "custom-manufactured garbage."

[...]

Bleacher Report attempted to address the concerns of its early critics by making substantive reforms to its editorial and personnel policies in 2010 and 2011 ... detractors likened such changes "to spritzing a little room deodorizer after leaving a steaming deposit in the toilet and failing to flush,"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleacher_Report

Marillac

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2016, 10:49:29 AM »

1. Nova
2. Xavier
3. Creighton
4. Georgetown
5. Butler
6. Marquette
7. Seton Hall
8. Providence
9. St. John's
10. DePaul

Terrible as usual. First, we don't deserve respect after last season...it has to be earned. But what the hell is Marquette doing at six then? They were a bottom-dweller who we played close and they lost a first round draft pick. Seton Hall at 7 is a joke. Rodriguez, Sonago, Carrington, and Delgado are all top 15-20 players in the league and Jevon Thomas and the Wake transfer give them good experience at point. It's hard to envision a scenario where Providence can have a better season than SJU and I do expect  Bullock to breakout.

hnk

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2016, 10:53:00 AM »
The problem for us is the league is very strong.  We have a better, though unproven, roster, but almost everyone else has improved (with maybe the exception of Providence) and has gotten better as well and they all have a head start.

One step at a time.

LoganK

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2016, 11:40:51 AM »

1. Nova
2. Xavier
3. Creighton
4. Georgetown
5. Butler
6. Marquette
7. Seton Hall
8. Providence
9. St. John's
10. DePaul

Terrible as usual. First, we don't deserve respect after last season...it has to be earned. But what the hell is Marquette doing at six then? They were a bottom-dweller who we played close and they lost a first round draft pick. Seton Hall at 7 is a joke. Rodriguez, Sonago, Carrington, and Delgado are all top 15-20 players in the league and Jevon Thomas and the Wake transfer give them good experience at point. It's hard to envision a scenario where Providence can have a better season than SJU and I do expect  Bullock to breakout.
The only real "bottom-dwellers" were SJU and Depaul.  Marquette won 20 games last year and has arguably the best incoming class along with ours. 

I'd move G'Town down but that's just based on them being perennial underachievers.  I'd like to think we finish around 6th, ahead of them, Depaul, Providence, and....someone else...but I can't argue being picked anywhere from 5th-9th.  Butler seems to have lost a lot but I don't know much about the remaining team or their additions.  I also think Creighton might be getting a little too much respect, but who knows- that's why they play the games. 

This league could be anywhere from meh to very good next year (with the exceptions of Nova and Xavier who seem to be clearly ahead of the pack).

Marillac

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2016, 12:03:32 PM »

1. Nova
2. Xavier
3. Creighton
4. Georgetown
5. Butler
6. Marquette
7. Seton Hall
8. Providence
9. St. John's
10. DePaul

The only real "bottom-dwellers" were SJU and Depaul.  Marquette won 20 games last year and has arguably the best incoming class along with ours. 

I'd move G'Town down but that's just based on them being perennial underachievers.  I'd like to think we finish around 6th, ahead of them, Depaul, Providence, and....someone else...but I can't argue being picked anywhere from 5th-9th.  Butler seems to have lost a lot but I don't know much about the remaining team or their additions.  I also think Creighton might be getting a little too much respect, but who knows- that's why they play the games. 

This league could be anywhere from meh to very good next year (with the exceptions of Nova and Xavier who seem to be clearly ahead of the pack).

Marquette only had eight wins in conference and they beat us in three close games. Depaul and Marquette were the only games I thought we could have won last year. They lose 17 points and  and 10 boards a game from a 1st round pick and are headed by a coach that has objectively underperformed the last two years. I just don't see any justification for putting them ahead of Seron Hall -- a team that could very well be better than the 25-8 team they rolled out last year if  one of their transfers or recruits steps up big in the backcourt.

LoganK

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2016, 01:41:37 PM »

1. Nova
2. Xavier
3. Creighton
4. Georgetown
5. Butler
6. Marquette
7. Seton Hall
8. Providence
9. St. John's
10. DePaul

Marquette only had eight wins in conference and they beat us in three close games. Depaul and Marquette were the only games I thought we could have won last year. They lose 17 points and  and 10 boards a game from a 1st round pick and are headed by a coach that has objectively underperformed the last two years. I just don't see any justification for putting them ahead of Seron Hall -- a team that could very well be better than the 25-8 team they rolled out last year if  one of their transfers or recruits steps up big in the backcourt.
I don't necessarily disagree that SHU should be ahead of Marquette (though I think you're over-estimating the loss of Ellenson and under-estimating the loss of Whitehead) for this coming season, was just saying 20-13 and 8-10 in the BE is far from a bottom-dweller.

I'm fairly confident Nova and Xavier will be the top 2 and that Depaul will finish last.  Other than that, who the hell knows.

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2016, 05:43:46 PM »

Who cares???
The kids could use this as motivation, if they feel disrespected.   I'm not worried about what so called exprts predict.

Poison

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2016, 06:56:40 PM »
The players are going to feel the pressure no matter what anyone writes, but why would anyone want them to feel more of it? What good does it do if Bleacher Report says that we should finish 3rd? This team has zero credibility.