2008-2009 Preseason Big East Top 75:

• 28 replies
Re: 2008-2009 Preseason Big East Top 75:
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2008, 02:14:53 PM »
JB led the team in minutes played and field goal attempts...if he wasn't option 1 he was option 1A

Mase took 26 more shots in 70 less minutes during big east Play.
Mase did average more min/g, but missed a few games

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/stjo/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/bigeast.pdf

LW took more shots/min than JB

I expect Mase to be option #1, and DJ's shots & aggressiveness to go up.

But I really look forward to see growth from Evans & Booth (true frosh last year)

Last year JB was most seasoned of 3 incoming big Frosh (Coker & Evans)
I think its possible that Burrell's minutes go down this year playing less 5.
Coker & Evans mins increase & Wait gets some

« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 02:23:05 PM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2008, 02:28:40 PM »
like I said if he wasn't option 1 he was option 1A

When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2008, 02:32:41 PM »
like I said if he wasn't option 1 he was option 1A

I agree he was option 1A/2 last year.
I was just explaining why I think he might get less   shots this year
Molloy '71

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2008, 02:35:17 PM »
JB took fewer shots, but he was the defensive focus for every team (hence the double teams).  Burrell was option 1A, and you could make a case that he was option 1 but didn't get off the shots he could have because of the double teams.  JB had some possessions where he touched the ball but wasn't part of the final stat sheet outcome (take a shot/ get a rebound/ turn the ball over), but you can't say he wasn't an offensive focal point. 

Now Mason, of course, likes to end a possession by driving/ shooting/ driving and passing, and once he got the ball in his hands he was going to do something with it.  Same with LW, trying to score in his limited time.  But Mason and Burrell were the #1 options on the team.  Burrell didn't come off the court because Norm wanted to have him as the inside presence.  And when Mason was out?  How can you say Burrell wasn't tasked with carrying the team then?

I do hope that DJ's shots attempts and aggressiveness go up, and Boothe and Evans find a way to get the ball in the basket a little more.  I think Burrell will be better with a little less of the job of creating his own offense through two defenders on the block, and with a few offensive putbacks to pad his numbers.

pmg911

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2008, 03:03:37 PM »
All of your thoughts are correct..   BUT. .  the onus of carrying the scoring load was never expected of Justin Burrell last season...    it was just not the case...   the offense was not run through him...     and he probably didn't get the touches he should have...   sometimes it seemed like Geno was all but freezing the kid out... 

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2008, 03:23:39 PM »
All of your thoughts are correct..   BUT. .  the onus of carrying the scoring load was never expected of Justin Burrell last season...    it was just not the case...   the offense was not run through him...     and he probably didn't get the touches he should have...   sometimes it seemed like Geno was all but freezing the kid out... 

Didnt it seem like JB was turning the ball over when he got, or couldnt get himself in low post scoring postion at times? Maybe it wasnt as much as Geno's fault as Burrells

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2008, 04:53:51 PM »
All of your thoughts are correct..   BUT. .  the onus of carrying the scoring load was never expected of Justin Burrell last season...    it was just not the case...   the offense was not run through him...     and he probably didn't get the touches he should have...   sometimes it seemed like Geno was all but freezing the kid out... 

Didnt it seem like JB was turning the ball over when he got, or couldnt get himself in low post scoring postion at times? Maybe it wasnt as much as Geno's fault as Burrells

Would you think it was because of double teams?? Sometimes a bad point guard could throw everybody off....

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2008, 09:24:05 PM »
All of your thoughts are correct..   BUT. .  the onus of carrying the scoring load was never expected of Justin Burrell last season...    it was just not the case...   the offense was not run through him...     and he probably didn't get the touches he should have...   sometimes it seemed like Geno was all but freezing the kid out... 

Would you think it was because of double teams?? Sometimes a bad point guard could throw everybody off....

You have to have the ball in your hands to turn it over. Cant blame everything on Geno

kjd01067

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2008, 07:46:38 AM »
Anthony Mason Jr. checks in at #18.

http://cardshoops.wordpress.com/category/big-east-rankings/

18. Anthony Mason Jr., St. John’s, Sr., F

Mason is one of the best playmakers in the conference who can score in a variety of ways.  He can score on the perimeter or in the post and can create for his teammates as well.  He battled injuries last year, but when he was on the court he showed that he can be one of the best players in the conference.  He dropped 29 on both Pittsburgh and Louisville in back-to-back games.  Despite missing some time due to injury, he was named as an All-Big East Honorable Mention last year and is expected to be the Red Storm’s go-to guy in this upcoming season.