2008-2009 Preseason Big East Top 75:

• 28 replies
2008-2009 Preseason Big East Top 75:
« on: July 16, 2008, 05:30:32 PM »
Found this link on the east coast bias thanks to peter

http://cardshoops.wordpress.com/2008/07/13/2008-2009-preseason-big-east-top-75-70-66/

http://cardshoops.wordpress.com/2008/07/12/big-east-top-75-75-71/

66. DJ Kennedy, St. John’s, So., G

Kennedy started almost every game for the Red Storm as a freshman, averaging about 8 and 6 a game.  He’s strong and athletic, and showed the ability to get to the basket.  He also has tremendous versatility, having the ability to play the 1, 2, and 3.

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
Re: 2008-2009 Preseason Big East Top 75:
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 06:31:57 PM »

66. DJ Kennedy, St. John’s, So., G

Kennedy started almost every game for the Red Storm as a freshman, averaging about 8 and 6 a game.  He’s strong and athletic, and showed the ability to get to the basket.  He also has tremendous versatility, having the ability to play the 1, 2, and 3.

D.J. is still a "baby". He is only going to get bigger, stronger & better over the next couple years imo. If he becomes more consistant with his jumper he will continue to climb that list..  8) .. and i predict Horne will crack the top 75 next year..  ;) .. peace!

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 02:16:10 PM »
we definitely forget that these guys were Freshman...I think Kennedy and Burrell hit the freshman wall last year in Big East play.  I expect big improvement out of both of them.

I definitely see Kennedy improving in all areas...espcially being more of a stopper on defense and leading out in the break a little more.  He's going to be a 4 year stat stuffer.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 05:04:34 PM »
Justin has to come back and show something - he should be as good as Kentucky's Patrick Patterson, at least.  And DJ definitely, definitely hit the wall (and didn't take shots for a number of games when Mase came  back - like he didn't know how to integrate himself into the game).  And if Kennedy can hit the outside shot when he's open, he'll be pretty nice.

pmg911

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 07:54:27 PM »
Justin has to come back and show something - he should be as good as Kentucky's Patrick Patterson, at least.  And DJ definitely, definitely hit the wall (and didn't take shots for a number of games when Mase came  back - like he didn't know how to integrate himself into the game).  And if Kennedy can hit the outside shot when he's open, he'll be pretty nice.

Peter. . you are usually right on with your calls but Justin as good as Patrick Patterson...     that is nuts..    Patterson would have been sure fire 1st Round Draft pick if he hadn't gotten hurt...     Justin would not even have gotten a sniff in the 2nd Round...

Patterson is an elite player headed into next year...   Burrell, as you said, has a lot to show people...

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 10:02:54 PM »
Both guys has tons of potential...It will be interesting to see their development. I'm eager to see how Phil Wait(if good) and Burrell interact with each other...

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 11:59:43 PM »
Patterson averaged 17 pts, 7 boards. JB 11 and 6
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 12:03:11 AM by Marco Baldi »

kob24

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 02:22:48 AM »
no disrespect to anyone but look at patricks team and look at burrells. Justin is in the same class as him. Plus the boy hit a wall with a point guard who couldn't or wouldn't get him the ball. But it ain't a contest they both will be good this year.

pmg911

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 07:01:48 AM »
no disrespect to anyone but look at patricks team and look at burrells. Justin is in the same class as him. Plus the boy hit a wall with a point guard who couldn't or wouldn't get him the ball. But it ain't a contest they both will be good this year.

KOB..   I hope Justin is a 1st Team Big East player this year, the potential is definitely there but he is not in the same class as Patrick Patterson. . and that is not a knock on JB but more an acknowledgment of how good Patterson is...

You are right though..   JB played with an awful point guard last year and once the conference games started he was never getting the ball in the right place. This can also be attributed to sound game plans by opposing coaching staff and the defense of opposing players...

As for hitting "the wall". . it happens all the time...  the elite level Freshman didn't and don't usually hit it though...

I think JB has real NBA potential but he has a way to go..    Patterson would probably be in the NBA now if he had not gotten hurt...   the kid is stud...

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 08:55:20 AM »

I only saw Patterson a few times but I don't think he lives up to his hype...I think Burrell is pretty close to his level if not on it.

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 09:01:16 AM »

I only saw Patterson a few times but I don't think he lives up to his hype...I think Burrell is pretty close to his level if not on it.

Mass defections at Kentucky might hurt Pattersons production this year. I remember reading somewhere that alot of the kids cant stand Billy Gillespie which is probably the reason for the transfers. Patterson would be gone if not for the injury

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 09:44:42 AM »
I think Burrell can be about as good as Patterson.  He wasn't last year.  And Patterson might be a slightly better player, and was more prepared for the SEC (not that Justin wasn't prepared, but Patterson was ready to play at a high level... on a team with decent players).

Players run from Billy Clyde Gillespie... maybe it's something Bill Self taught his assistants. 

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 02:28:55 PM »
i don't know what it means "hit the wall" unless you all mean an emotional wall where a player is tired of losing and can't get up for the games anymore.

we've seen kids come out of high school to play 82 nba games plus playoffs.

it can't be physical.

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 03:04:00 PM »
believe it or not athletes are human...players hit the wall for many reasons some mental (exams, being away from home for the first time, you name it) some physical (playing 40 minutes a night agains Big East competition versus playing 3 or 4 games against elite talent in high school)...

not sure who you're talking about but I can't think of one kid that jumped to the NBA played 82 games plus playoffs without any sort of slump.

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2008, 05:04:08 PM »

As for hitting "the wall". . it happens all the time...  the elite level Freshman didn't and don't usually hit it though...

You could even say Donte Greene hit a wall last year as well and he was considered by all the be the most elite freshman in the Big East. I think Greene dropped 40 the other night in a summer league game.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2008, 06:09:22 PM »
believe it or not athletes are human...players hit the wall for many reasons some mental (exams, being away from home for the first time, you name it) some physical (playing 40 minutes a night agains Big East competition versus playing 3 or 4 games against elite talent in high school)...

not sure who you're talking about but I can't think of one kid that jumped to the NBA played 82 games plus playoffs without any sort of slump.

i agree players are human...and virtually everyone hits a slump in an 82 game season.  i thought we were talking about slumps in a 26 game college season.  extended slumps like that are an indicator that that player is far from being an nba-er.

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2008, 09:38:04 PM »
47. Justin Burrell, St. John’s, So., F

Burrell is one of the most promising young talents in the entire conference.  He is a super athletic power forward who can finish in the paint area, block shots, and rebound.  However many fans were disappointed with his play last year, as he didn’t cater to the lofty expectations of Red Storm fans.  He was asked to carry the team as a freshman, which is a daunting task even for the likes of a Derrick Rose or an OJ Mayo.  He should be the centerpiece of Norm Roberts’ offense this year, but will need to deal with opposing defenses being locked in on him.

pmg911

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2008, 11:24:24 AM »
47. Justin Burrell, St. John’s, So., F

Burrell is one of the most promising young talents in the entire conference.  He is a super athletic power forward who can finish in the paint area, block shots, and rebound.  However many fans were disappointed with his play last year, as he didn’t cater to the lofty expectations of Red Storm fans.  He was asked to carry the team as a freshman, which is a daunting task even for the likes of a Derrick Rose or an OJ Mayo.  He should be the centerpiece of Norm Roberts’ offense this year, but will need to deal with opposing defenses being locked in on him.

Seriously.. . who ever wrote this little blurb doesn't know St. John's well...

Burrell was never asked to carry this team last year...  and right or wrong he will NOT be the center piece of the offense this season..   it will be Anthony Mason Jr ...

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2008, 01:36:14 PM »
JB led the team in minutes played and field goal attempts...if he wasn't option 1 he was option 1A

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2008, 01:39:54 PM »
JB led the team in minutes played and field goal attempts...if he wasn't option 1 he was option 1A

Probably becuase of Juniors injury. Hopefully JB is working hard on his hands and post moves