Rhode Island Scrimmage

• 61 replies

hnk

Re: Rhode Island Scrimmage
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2016, 08:36:56 AM »
Too bad it's not open.  Anxious to see the new Malik and how team does against real competition.

paultzman

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2016, 02:08:22 PM »

Told the St John's-Rhode Island scrimmage was very competitive. Yankuba Sima stood out for #sjubb

Per Zach B

paultzman

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2016, 02:11:10 PM »
Told Shamorie Ponds and Tariq Owens were also very good for #sjubb
Zach B

Poison

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2016, 02:12:12 PM »
Told Shamorie Ponds and Tariq Owens were also very good for #sjubb - Also from Zach B

Owens played well against a ranked team. Hmm.

paultzman

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2016, 02:17:10 PM »
Rhode Island won first half by 14, #sjubb won second half by 1
Zach B

redslope

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2016, 02:25:55 PM »
Zach B
Wow--wonder if second half turnaround is result of depth or was it a different player mix?

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2016, 02:28:55 PM »

Told the St John's-Rhode Island scrimmage was very competitive. Yankuba Sima stood out for #sjubb

Per Zach B

Like I said, he'll play in the league

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2016, 02:29:32 PM »
Zach B

Impressive. That's a top 25 team

paultzman

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2016, 02:35:26 PM »
Zagoria chimes in
Was told Marcus LoVett and Tariq Owens stood out for St. John's in scrimmage and Ahmed and Ponds were more quiet.

Told Jarvis Garrett, Jared Terrell, Hassan Martin and Kuran Iverson all played very well for No. 23 Rhody vs SJU
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 02:37:09 PM by paultzman »

paultzman

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2016, 02:40:07 PM »
Ellison did play apparently.

« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2016, 02:41:59 PM »
Funny to hear the contradicting takes on the guard play from two of the scribes who cover us (Lovett versus Ponds).

BTW, some negative chatter on Ponds on the Seton Hall board.  A poster there supposedly connected to the AAU/local hoops scene said he heard from a knowledgeable source that Ponds was not impressive at all against Baruch and that the source isn't impressed with Ponds in general.

paultzman

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2016, 02:45:35 PM »

Chris DiSano –  ‏@CDiSano44

Hearing URI played its starters between 18-24 mins in today's scrimmage v St John's and was up double digits before emptying bench late

Poison

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2016, 02:49:26 PM »
Still have to remember that this is an exhibition, not something we can point to that will predict our season. We have to know that it will take some time before we start consistently playing like a team.

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2016, 03:17:41 PM »
Funny to hear the contradicting takes on the guard play from two of the scribes who cover us (Lovett versus Ponds).

BTW, some negative chatter on Ponds on the Seton Hall board.  A poster there supposedly connected to the AAU/local hoops scene said he heard from a knowledgeable source that Ponds was not impressive at all against Baruch and that the source isn't impressed with Ponds in general.

Are you SJUBall?

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2016, 03:23:50 PM »

Link?

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2016, 03:27:05 PM »
Ha no.  I don't post on that board - just read it as I do the boards for the other Big East teams.  But I know the poster you are referring to.

Are you SJUBall?

ras

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2016, 03:54:24 PM »

I don't know how you can evaluate a Freshman by his first exhibition game.  Karr was awfull in his first game as a Fr. if I remember correctly and he won freshman of the year in the old BE. I thought Ponds looked good.

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2016, 04:27:45 PM »
URI was up big. Pulled starters after 19 min. Lovett and Owens were two guys who stood out to URI side. Will try to find out some more but this was a good test, measuring stick, reality check for guys.

URI is stacked with talent. If they aren't a sweet 16 team they underachieved.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2016, 04:28:54 PM »
Good chance Zags and I spoke to same person.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2016, 04:29:58 PM »

I don't know how you can evaluate a Freshman by his first exhibition game.  Karr was awfull in his first game as a Fr. if I remember correctly and he won freshman of the year in the old BE. I thought Ponds looked good.

I agree. Nothing has happened yet, and of the little we saw of Ponds, he seemed like a very good player. Quick and smooth. Kid is a scoring guard, not a Sean Kilpatrick type. More like Hatten actually than LoVett, who had been compared to Hatten.