Game 1: Bethune Cookman Game Discussion

• 67 replies

QuanMan

Re: Game 1: Bethune Cookman Game Discussion
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2016, 12:59:44 AM »
Great night all around. Take care of Binghamton, have a great week of practice, and then let's really make some noise @Minnesota next Friday night. I can't wait to see this group head up there, we have a competent, unselfish, multi talented unit.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2016, 07:43:20 AM »

Foad

« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2016, 10:31:24 AM »

« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2016, 11:13:38 AM »
How nice it is to have guards. To think last year it was Mussini as lead guard with Mvouika and Johnson off the ball for majority of the year. (Ellison injured)

This year you trade Mvouika and Johnson for Lovett and Ponds. I think you saw the difference in the way they can handle, score off the bounce, shoot, and pass. Two of the best plays last night I saw them make didn't lead to baskets. Both were passes to Freudenberg in the corner where they got past their man, drew help, and made laser passes.

I also loved watching Ellison last night. Ready to catch and shoot and also identified that he could get to the rim at will. Finished strong at the rim and looked way more confident doing so.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

paultzman

« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2016, 11:18:10 AM »
How nice it is to have guards. To think last year it was Mussini as lead guard with Mvouika and Johnson off the ball for majority of the year. (Ellison injured)

This year you trade Mvouika and Johnson for Lovett and Ponds. I think you saw the difference in the way they can handle, score off the bounce, shoot, and pass. Two of the best plays last night I saw them make didn't lead to baskets. Both were passes to Freudenberg in the corner where they got past their man, drew help, and made laser passes.

I also loved watching Ellison last night. Ready to catch and shoot and also identified that he could get to the rim at will. Finished strong at the rim and looked way more confident doing so.

Ellison finishing so much better is testament to working on his strength & conditioning & of course normal maturation.

MCNPA

« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2016, 12:32:24 PM »
Yeah, not only one capable guard, but 4.  It will make us competitive for he foreseeable future.

« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2016, 01:57:58 PM »
Having 4 guards who can spot up and shoot is such a pleasure to see.  It really is going to make defenses come out and guard further away from the paint, which is really going to help us.  I really liked the ball movement last night as well.  Guys all looked ready to catch and shoot.  The interior offensive play is still a work in progress, but that will come as the bigs get used to playing with the guards.  Overall it was a fantastic opener.  Lots to be excited about as many others have said.

« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2016, 02:11:49 PM »
What was the crowd like?

desco80

« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2016, 02:29:49 PM »
I still want to see Lovett and Ponds shoot that well for multiple games.  It's not necessarily their forte.  So iI wouldn't take the 4 guards who shoot well as a guarantee just yet. 

desco80

« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2016, 02:31:20 PM »
What was the crowd like?

4k and change.  Top sections weren't filled.   Courtside and the middle level was though.   Avg crowd.  Not great.  Not embarrassing though considering last season, the late game time, and it was vs a terrible opponent.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2016, 02:37:31 PM »
Interesting to see who the odd man out is going to be next year when Simon enters the fold. I guess we have an entire season to evaluate that, but right now Lovett, Ponds, Ellison, and Mussini all look good, and I wouldn't want to lose any of them. Not sure if there are going to be enough minutes to get all 5 guards playing time. If I really had to choose Mussini would be my choice to go overseas or transfer... Ellison looks really good, Ponds has huge potential and Ellison looks very good so far.

Same goes for the front court. Will there be enough minutes to play Richie F, Yakwe, Sima, Tariq, Clark and Brown? Good problem to have I guess.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 02:39:38 PM by thetruth8734 »

« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2016, 08:15:05 PM »
Every good program figures this stuff out. I really don't give it much thought.

« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2016, 08:52:45 PM »
- I'm not one to gush...but we're improved.

- Mullin doesn't start Love it or lube.  Submitted to drug testing after the game.

- Facility improvements:
a) New jumbo screens behind each basket.  Nice!

b) New barbeque food stand when you walk in and other additional concession stands reducing half-time rush hour traffic.

- It's not every day we hit the century mark.

- Bethune Cookman is bad in basketball but I bet their marching band kicks butt.

- Crowd was 3000 - 3500 max.  60% full as an estimate would be generous.

- Binghampton stinks.  2 and 0 baby!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 09:06:12 PM by carmineabbatiello »

Poison

« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2016, 11:04:30 PM »
Interesting to see who the odd man out is going to be next year when Simon enters the fold. I guess we have an entire season to evaluate that, but right now Lovett, Ponds, Ellison, and Mussini all look good, and I wouldn't want to lose any of them. Not sure if there are going to be enough minutes to get all 5 guards playing time. If I really had to choose Mussini would be my choice to go overseas or transfer... Ellison looks really good, Ponds has huge potential and Ellison looks very good so far.

Same goes for the front court. Will there be enough minutes to play Richie F, Yakwe, Sima, Tariq, Clark and Brown? Good problem to have I guess.

We know that everyone was ready for Bethune. Let's see who is ready for Michigan State before thinking about a logjam.

« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2016, 11:27:55 PM »
Another side note is Ponds looked like he belonged in the starting lineup. No moment seemed too big for him. Scrappy on defense and didn't force it too much.

« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2016, 11:43:36 PM »

We know that everyone was ready for Bethune. Let's see who is ready for Michigan State before thinking about a logjam.

Miles Bridges is a problem. Kid can play

Poison

« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2016, 12:13:37 AM »
Another side note is Ponds looked like he belonged in the starting lineup. No moment seemed too big for him. Scrappy on defense and didn't force it too much.

Again, this is Bethune Cookman. A kid like Ponds played tougher competition in middle school.

« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2016, 12:25:55 AM »

Again, this is Bethune Cookman. A kid like Ponds played tougher competition in middle school.

Opponent doesn't impact his effort, energy, decision making. He checked a lot of boxes for me.

Poison

« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2016, 12:41:11 AM »

Opponent doesn't impact his effort, energy, decision making. He checked a lot of boxes for me.

It doesn't impact his effort and his energy, but when you're facing Michigan State's press, decisions will have to be made much faster. Bethune Cookman couldn't guard Ron Mvouika. Ponds, and actually all of our guards seemed like they were well coached and confident. I've come to that conclusion not just because of their scoring, but because of their passing ability and overall decision making. Credit to the staff. So far so good.

« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2016, 08:40:15 AM »
... Ellison looks really good, Ponds has huge potential and Ellison looks very good so far.

And if he keeps improving that quickly hell be extremely good by your next post. Seriously though, it does look like his maturation has caught up to his confidence.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.