• 256 replies
Re: Game 4: Michigan State Game Discussion
« Reply #180 on: November 23, 2016, 09:22:38 PM »
SJU 33 rebounds.

MSU 54

MCNPA

« Reply #181 on: November 23, 2016, 09:23:02 PM »
People are a bit overboard here.  We are super young, and lost a narrow one to a top 25 team.... baby steps..,

We were within 2-5 til last 5 minutes..
11 points is narrow? I guess it is now

« Reply #182 on: November 23, 2016, 09:24:37 PM »
Need to go with smaller lineup

Exactly what I was saying.. Going to get killed on boards anyway.

Yup, get out and run., press all day. We have no offense and no rebounding. Gotta steal baskets
where is the thank you button because Baldi has been on fire

« Reply #183 on: November 23, 2016, 09:26:49 PM »
This is what I'll say....  If things are looking similar at the end of the season, then a veteran college coach should be on the off-season list.

It's certainly early, but something ain't quite right, if you ask me.

« Reply #184 on: November 23, 2016, 09:27:28 PM »
Need to go with smaller lineup

Exactly what I was saying.. Going to get killed on boards anyway.

Yup, get out and run., press all day. We have no offense and no rebounding. Gotta steal baskets
where is the thank you button because Baldi has been on fire

I said that already.  LOL

boo3

« Reply #185 on: November 23, 2016, 09:28:50 PM »
 Only 7 assists...as a team!  A lot of that is our bigs can't finish ...

Marillac

« Reply #186 on: November 23, 2016, 09:30:45 PM »
It's frustrating watching your team not even compete for offensive boards. The only battle I saw was from Alibegovoc coming away with one. MSU pinned everyone every shot. Those guys are well coached. It's getting a little old watching boys go up against men every year. Ward made Owens look like a child. What was the deal with Darien Williams on Bridges for six straight pts? I'd rather see Ponds on him to be honest. At least there is a chance for a strip.

« Reply #187 on: November 23, 2016, 09:31:34 PM »

Sima and Yakwe took a combined 11 shots

Marillac

« Reply #188 on: November 23, 2016, 09:33:27 PM »

Sima and Yakwe took a combined 11 shots

No inside-out play, no backdoors, no give-and-goes...just ISO and wild jumpers. It's going to be a long year.

« Reply #189 on: November 23, 2016, 09:34:43 PM »
It's frustrating watching your team not even compete for offensive boards. The only battle I saw was from Alibegovoc coming away with one. MSU pinned everyone every shot. Those guys are well coached. It's getting a little old watching boys go up against men every year. Ward made Owens look like a child. What was the deal with Darien Williams on Bridges for six straight pts? I'd rather see Ponds on him to be honest. At least there is a chance for a strip.

We need to start recruiting smarter players from better programs. We have talent, but yet again a low hoops IQ.  Our guards pass the ball to our bigs while they are running up the court, our bigs are never ever in the right place to rebound, no nose for the ball. This should all be learned years ago, not at the college level
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 09:35:13 PM by Marco Baldi »

boo3

« Reply #190 on: November 23, 2016, 09:39:31 PM »
Bright side........could be Georgetown...lol.. Lost by 27 today....ha

« Reply #191 on: November 23, 2016, 09:40:05 PM »
The criticism of this game is fair, but I'm not sure this board has realistic expectations for this team. I definitely see a much improved team that's a year and a key piece or two away.

Sima and Yakwe were frustrating again today but I don't think it's the staffs fault that they can't catch a quick pass or show touch around the rim. Sima's footwork is actually good, and he gets good position with his back to the basket. Needs to finish.

Johnny23

« Reply #192 on: November 23, 2016, 09:41:21 PM »
Lack of in-game adjustments from the sideline, not enough ball movement and offensive sets, lack of bball IQ, not knowing how to be in proper position to take charges. The guard play is a huge improvement over last year but other than that the whole team is a major work in progress.

« Reply #193 on: November 23, 2016, 09:43:22 PM »

We need to start recruiting smarter players from better programs. We have talent, but yet again a low hoops IQ.  Our guards pass the ball to our bigs while they are running up the court, our bigs are never ever in the right place to rebound, no nose for the ball. This should all be learned years ago, not at the college level

We do not have a low bbqll iq roster. Our recruiting has been fine in that department.

If Sima had a good feel for the game heading into college, he would have been a top 50 recruit and not available to us 4 months before the season last year.  Guy is a project who is getting better.

« Reply #194 on: November 23, 2016, 09:44:01 PM »
Against Minny our defensive balance was terrible.  Tonight, rebounding sucked, as did our shooting in general.  With a young team, different issues are going to crop up game to game.  We should have finished the first half with a healthy lead, but we shot 25%. That's 25!

Let's see what tomw brings against VCU. 

This team needs to play more games.  And, clearly, they need to get better at so many facets of the game.  But there is a core here to build around, and they do have the potential to get better.  It's way too early to give up on this team.  Lovett and Ponds alone make this team worth watching this year -- and it's still to early to know what we're going to get out of Ahmed.

MCNPA

« Reply #195 on: November 23, 2016, 09:46:31 PM »
Lack of in-game adjustments from the sideline, not enough ball movement and offensive sets, lack of bball IQ, not knowing how to be in proper position to take charges. The guard play is a huge improvement over last year but other than that the whole team is a major work in progress.

And proper perspective is just that... A work in progress.  We need more experience, more talented frontcourt players etc.  we are a ton better. It not there yet.

« Reply #196 on: November 23, 2016, 09:51:23 PM »

We do not have a low bbqll iq roster. Our recruiting has been fine in that department.

If Sima had a good feel for the game heading into college, he would have been a top 50 recruit and not available to us 4 months before the season last year.  Guy is a project who is getting better.

I disagree. The only players who maybe get a pass for being green are Ponds and Freudenberg. Lovett has been with the program for a year and half. The rest have game experience, no excuse for repeated stupid mistakes that should have been fixed at the JV level in high school. 

If we want to make the Tourny every 4 years, this is fine.   If we wanted to be in contention consistently, get smarter players

« Reply #197 on: November 23, 2016, 09:53:25 PM »
While there were some clear glaring flaws in this game(lack of Offense from bigs and rebounding) we still have some great young pieces. We just lost to a Izzo coached team by 11 and we already are seriously questioning everything from IQ to coaching to talent. Everyone needs to relax, next year we add simon, clark, and Zach brown(the big man we desperately need). Give the staff more time and stop jumping to conclusions 4 games into a season with one of the youngest teams in the country.

« Reply #198 on: November 23, 2016, 09:53:49 PM »

I don't think the team has a low hoops IQ, either.  It looks like they are attempting to operate an NBA-style of play minus overall NBA-level talent.  That's where the issues lie, IMO. 

« Reply #199 on: November 23, 2016, 09:58:47 PM »
While there were some clear glaring flaws in this game(lack of Offense from bigs and rebounding) we still have some great young pieces. We just lost to a Izzo coached team by 11 and we already are seriously questioning everything from IQ to coaching to talent. Everyone needs to relax, next year we add simon, clark, and Zach brown(the big man we desperately need). Give the staff more time and stop jumping to conclusions 4 games into a season with one of the youngest teams in the country.

Michigan st has 9 players who are freshmen and sophomores