Game 4: Michigan State Game Discussion

• 256 replies
Re: Game 4: Michigan State Game Discussion
« Reply #220 on: November 24, 2016, 01:32:08 AM »
With our forwards so bad on offense, going to need to work Freudenberg into more
Court time.  I know he's been a bit deer-in-headlights, but he's talented offensively and tall.  More potential moving forward.

I definitely agree with you.

Yakwe, Sima, or Owens can't score or rebound

Marillac

« Reply #221 on: November 24, 2016, 01:37:54 AM »
How is it possible that this team gets no fastbreak points two games in a row? We were the worst last year as well. Something is up.

« Reply #222 on: November 24, 2016, 01:43:05 AM »
How is it possible that this team gets no fastbreak points two games in a row? We were the worst last year as well. Something is up.

I was hoping NIT, but if the bigs don't improve then that's not happening.

« Reply #223 on: November 24, 2016, 07:40:50 AM »

especially with how quick most of our guys are. I don't understand it

« Reply #224 on: November 24, 2016, 07:45:08 AM »
I would have put some full court pressure on last night. Especially with Michigan St. guards not being elite offensive players. Probably could have created some turnovers and got the transition game going. If you play a halfcourt game against Izzo his teams will just grind you down.

« Reply #225 on: November 24, 2016, 08:40:25 AM »
Take it as small thing, as Sima and Yakwe are the problem (Owens gets pass ftom me as he has less experience and is just so skinny)

Ahmed still playing JUCO / streetball.  I think that will ease up.

But while a neutral setting, Michigan St. had many more fans, seemed to treat them like home team (playing their fight song). 

The relatively small SJU contingent is small but loud and tried to make up for it w/ NY attitude.

Mullin was on the refs all game.  Even Dan Matic got into it with a ref during  a time out. 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 08:42:18 AM by RedStormNC »

« Reply #226 on: November 24, 2016, 09:15:54 AM »

Need to rebound the ball to get out on the break

TONYD3

« Reply #227 on: November 24, 2016, 09:25:54 AM »
CJ CJ wherefore art thou CJ
Christian jones played 4 years contributed to 0 big east wins! Felix could have been a 5th year player but he sucked also.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 09:31:53 AM by TONYD3 »

TONYD3

« Reply #228 on: November 24, 2016, 09:32:50 AM »

Need to rebound the ball to get out on the break
Forcing a bad shot or turning the other team over might help.

Johnny23

« Reply #229 on: November 24, 2016, 09:33:12 AM »
Owens plays hard but needs to foul less. Gives us some good minutes though. Sima plays small but is our tallest guy out there. He needs to stop playing timid and attack the hoop harder at 6'11. Yakwe knows how to block shots but not much else right now. We should get Freud more minutes to see if he can be that offensive spark with size. Ahmed needs to calm down out there, he's in overdrive at all times.

A flawed frontcourt indeed.

hnk

« Reply #230 on: November 24, 2016, 09:35:01 AM »
FWIW, I think Lovett played way better than against Minnesota.  Only one blocked shot as opposed to three or four.  Only one or two out of control shots compared to many more.  And  the team improved as well.  Way fewer fast break points.  Though, rebounding was atrocious.

Next year, we'd probably have two w's.

It will be fun to watch this team grow as we wait for Clarke, Brown and Simon....and '18s.

paultzman

« Reply #231 on: November 24, 2016, 09:40:12 AM »
Owens plays hard but needs to foul less. Gives us some good minutes though. Sima plays small but is our tallest guy out there. He needs to stop playing timid and attack the hoop harder at 6'11. Yakwe knows how to block shots but not much else right now. We should get Freud more minutes to see if he can be that offensive spark with size. Ahmed needs to calm down out there, he's in overdrive at all times.

A flawed frontcourt indeed.

Agree on Ownens fouls, but surprisingly he has been our best inside guy to date.

Poison

« Reply #232 on: November 24, 2016, 10:28:07 AM »
It's very simple. Sima and Yakwe need to find their balls. They play like scared little bitches.

Poison

« Reply #233 on: November 24, 2016, 10:30:58 AM »

Ellison brings the ball up often. It would be great if he stopped doing that. I had hoped that he would have worked hard on his game this past summer, but he actually looks much worse as do Yakwe and Sima.

« Reply #234 on: November 24, 2016, 10:48:34 AM »

Ellison brings the ball up often. It would be great if he stopped doing that. I had hoped that he would have worked hard on his game this past summer, but he actually looks much worse as do Yakwe and Sima.
I agree he brings it up to much when you have this amount of quickness in the backcourt but other than the Minny game I thought his shooting has looked much better especially from the outside

« Reply #235 on: November 24, 2016, 10:59:24 AM »

Yea this is my biggest concern. Team can't take advantage of quickness factor and make up for lack of interior scoring. A little zone would help us get out and run.

[/quote]
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #236 on: November 24, 2016, 11:01:13 AM »
No way should Sima and Yakwe be on floor same time that is playing 3 against 5 on offense

« Reply #237 on: November 24, 2016, 11:03:29 AM »
No way should Sima and Yakwe be on floor same time that is playing 3 against 5 on offense
Agree that can't happen for large stretches of the game. Bashir needs to move to the 4 and Ellison or Mussini need to be on the floor too and hope their offense makes up for losing height

TONYD3

« Reply #238 on: November 24, 2016, 11:18:34 AM »
Agree that can't happen for large stretches of the game. Bashir needs to move to the 4 and Ellison or Mussini need to be on the floor too and hope their offense makes up for losing height
Yakwe will also look better vs the other teams center . He will have a huge quickness edge.

« Reply #239 on: November 24, 2016, 11:35:24 AM »
While there were some clear glaring flaws in this game(lack of Offense from bigs and rebounding) we still have some great young pieces. We just lost to a Izzo coached team by 11 and we already are seriously questioning everything from IQ to coaching to talent. Everyone needs to relax, next year we add simon, clark, and Zach brown(the big man we desperately need). Give the staff more time and stop jumping to conclusions 4 games into a season with one of the youngest teams in the country.

Michigan st has 9 players who are freshmen and sophomores
Thank you!