ODU predictions

• 94 replies

Poison

Re: ODU predictions
« Reply #80 on: November 26, 2016, 09:56:46 AM »
Butler takes down #8 Arizona last night. The BE is looking very strong and competitive nationally. 8th place in the conference is sounding about right for this team. Who knows, maybe 6th or 7th place if this team ever gets really coached up.
Who is going to coach them up?

Maybe we do a straight up trade...Mitch Richmond for Mark Jackson.

Why are we blaming Richmond? The university hired Mullin. Why not blame the school that never gets it right.

cjfish

« Reply #81 on: November 26, 2016, 09:58:55 AM »
assist and rebound totals are anemic.  Assist problem will be corrected, Lovett and ponds too good for this to continue. Rebounding however could be devastating.  Soft.

Foad

« Reply #82 on: November 26, 2016, 10:22:23 AM »
Old Dominion recap: http://www.bigeastboards.com/

Johnny23

« Reply #83 on: November 26, 2016, 12:06:01 PM »
Butler takes down #8 Arizona last night. The BE is looking very strong and competitive nationally. 8th place in the conference is sounding about right for this team. Who knows, maybe 6th or 7th place if this team ever gets really coached up.

Why are we blaming Richmond? The university hired Mullin. Why not blame the school that never gets it right.

Sure there's enough blame to go around to all parties. My point is we need a good in-game coach and/or assistant and we currently have neither.

« Reply #84 on: November 26, 2016, 12:58:13 PM »
Mike Dunlap would do wonders with this talent and yes they would play better D and rebound

« Reply #85 on: November 26, 2016, 01:00:25 PM »

Sure there's enough blame to go around to all parties. My point is we need a good in-game coach and/or assistant and we currently have neither.

Maybe instead of blame we should be talking about how young/inexperienced the team is, how exhausted they are after 3 games in 3 days, and how ridiculously high expectations are.

I fail to see how changing an assistant or two can lead a team out of the cellar...

« Reply #86 on: November 26, 2016, 01:01:29 PM »
I can't buy the 3 games in 3 days excuse when every team plays the same amount .

Johnny23

« Reply #87 on: November 26, 2016, 01:07:51 PM »

Maybe instead of blame we should be talking about how young/inexperienced the team is, how exhausted they are after 3 games in 3 days, and how ridiculously high expectations are.

I fail to see how changing an assistant or two can lead a team out of the cellar...

Mich St has a lot of frosh and sophs on their roster too. The x factor? They have Izzo on the sidelines.  Coaching makes a huge difference, let's not kid ourselves.

desco80

« Reply #88 on: November 26, 2016, 01:29:10 PM »

Mich St has a lot of frosh and sophs on their roster too. The x factor? They have Izzo on the sidelines.  Coaching makes a huge difference, let's not kid ourselves.

They have some upper classmen, Tum Tum and Harris are Jr and Sr.
And more importantly, they have ridiculous talent.   Langford is a McDonalds All American and he's their 7th man.   

Johnny23

« Reply #89 on: November 26, 2016, 01:35:28 PM »

They have some upper classmen, Tum Tum and Harris are Jr and Sr.
And more importantly, they have ridiculous talent.   Langford is a McDonalds All American and he's their 7th man.

Like I said, they have Izzo. And we have Mullin, Richmond and St. Jean lol.

« Reply #90 on: November 26, 2016, 02:28:25 PM »
I don't buy the 3 games in 3 days stuff.  Tired guys might be causing guys to miss 3's, but then you tell them to stop taking as many.

1.  Lovett has played 6 games as a PG at the collegiate level.  Give him a chance to learn how to play the role of scorer and facilitator. 

2.  We picked a bad time to play our worst game of the year.  We play 3/4 of how we did against Mich St. or VCU and we beat ODU. 

3.  I expected us to be 3-3 at this point.  So, 2-4 is a disappointment.  We have talent - I think it will come together and it is up to both the staff to figure out how to maximize that.

4.  Can we please give this staff and these players some time to grow up?  With some of these comments, it is like you guys have never watched how long it has taken other programs to rebuild.  If you didn't think there was going to be a learning curve with the staff and all these new guys trying to find ways to mesh, you had unrealistic expectations.

This isn't the MAAC, where you can recruit talent level so much better than the opposition that you can go from a barren roster to an immediate league contender.

To compare one local program, since people have been giving Kevin Willard props lately, let's remember that it took Seton Hall 6 years in the Willard regime to make the NCAA tournament.  Let's also remember that Willard inherited a roster with Hazell, Pope, Robinson and Theodore as upperclassmen.  It won't take us that long, but a bit perspective here.

« Reply #91 on: November 26, 2016, 03:37:20 PM »
On the 3 games in 3 days point: if this were a regular mid week game against ODU we would've won. We play a different style than they do, back to back to back hurts us more than them

TONYD3

« Reply #92 on: November 26, 2016, 05:05:56 PM »

It is ridiculous to beat a mid level team from terrible conference with a roster full of top tier talent?

« Reply #93 on: November 28, 2016, 12:56:24 PM »
Our play was putrid!  Far...far...far and away our worst game of the tournament.  Nobody played well.

I sat there unable to cheer and unable to clap with my eye balls bleeding from watching this effort.  At one point a drunken kid was berating me for not supporting the team loudly enough.

Dr. Naismith was rolling over in his grave. 

ras

« Reply #94 on: November 28, 2016, 08:50:22 PM »
Our play was putrid!  Far...far...far and away our worst game of the tournament.  Nobody played well.

I sat there unable to cheer and unable to clap with my eye balls bleeding from watching this effort.  At one point a drunken kid was berating me for not supporting the team loudly enough.

Dr. Naismith was rolling over in his grave. 
I turned the TV off in the middle of the 2nd half. Although  we made a comeback at the end . The optimist would say we could have won all of the games. But, we have to play a more cohesive type of team BB.