Mitch Richmond needs to go!

• 75 replies

TONYD3

Mitch Richmond needs to go!
« on: November 26, 2016, 10:24:32 AM »
I am fine brining in an entire new staff but that is not going to happen. We don't need  an X's and O's coach, we need a basketball coach. Bring in a young guy who has COACHED before, doesn't have 50 million in the bank, wants to work, is not just the friend of the head coach, will tell the head coach no that's a bad idea at times, and who runs so sort of offense.  Let st. Jean assist him .Mullin can be the face of the program.  Maybe he will learn something. If our head coach was anyone else every fan would agree. This team has been awful since day one when they couldn't handle the press from a division 2 team.

We were not prepared in our non conference games last year. We got out coached vs Minnesota who isn't good. We came in 8th place here . Plenty of talent to NEVER win!

Foad

Re: Mitch Richmond needs to go!
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 10:28:29 AM »
I am fine brining in an entire new staff but that is not going to happen. We don't need  an X's and O's coach, we need a basketball coach. Bring in a young guy who has COACHED before, doesn't have 50 million in the bank, wants to work, is not just the friend of the head coach, will tell the head coach no that's a bad idea at times, and who runs so sort of offense.  Let st. Jean assist him .Mullin can be the face of the program.  Maybe he will learn something. If our head coach was anyone else every fan would agree. This team has been awful since day one when they couldn't handle the press from a division 2 team.

We were not prepared in our non conference games last year. We got out coached vs Minnesota who isn't good. We came in 8th place here . Plenty of talent to NEVER win!

Shit post of the year.

QuanMan

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 10:32:42 AM »

Shit post of the year.

Dave please remove this thread.
Section 3
Section 116

TONYD3

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 10:40:35 AM »
Disagree. The last coach was bashed worse after wins! And he was bashed because he wasn't a very good basketball coach and the team didn't play up to expectations. Their is no expectation of this team except to lose, not play defense, and have guard jack up 3's.

Poison

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 10:46:14 AM »
Disagree. The last coach was bashed worse after wins! And he was bashed because he wasn't a very good basketball coach and the team didn't play up to expectations. Their is no expectation of this team except to lose, not play defense, and have guard jack up 3's.

This team is pretty clueless. That's true. Still, that doesn't mean that Lavin knew what he was doing. There is only constant that always gets it wrong, and that's St.John's.

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 11:05:34 AM »
Do you take Steve Pikell and his staff over ours 6 games into the year right now?

desco80

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2016, 11:06:22 AM »

This team is pretty clueless. That's true. Still, that doesn't mean that Lavin knew what he was doing. There is only constant that always gets it wrong, and that's St.John's.

It's really tiresome hearing you bash the University.   We get it, it's a young team that is underperforming.    That doesn't mean the school is a disaster at decision making, or that the coaches need to go. 

« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 11:08:47 AM by desco80 »

Poison

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2016, 11:08:46 AM »

It's really tiresome hearing you bash the University.   We get it, it's a young team that is underperforming.    That doesn't mean the school is a disaster at decision making, or that the coaches need to go. 

It is more tiresome that they need to be bashed 25 years after Coach retired. Sorry if you don't like it. Doesn't mean I'm wrong.

desco80

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 11:10:33 AM »
It is impossible to know at this stage whether Mullin is a good coach or not.    The sample size is so unbelievably small and he's working with  one of the youngest teams in the country.

Poison

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2016, 11:17:51 AM »
It is impossible to know at this stage whether Mullin is a good coach or not.    The sample size is so unbelievably small and he's working with  one of the youngest teams in the country.

That is fair, but my point about the University is undeniable.

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2016, 11:22:10 AM »
The 1coach who actually did have head coaching experience is still on the payroll. But Napoleon took care of that

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2016, 11:53:09 AM »

That is fair, but my point about the University is undeniable.

SJU is changing for the better even though it may not seem like it. The previous regime was here for over 20 YEARS!!! It will take more then a few years to fix two decades worth of stuff....This includes a historic basketball team that has barely been revelant in for 16 years.

This tournament was disappointing because of the almost victories that turned into loses. Is this because of inexperience players/coach or just bad coaching. I don't know....The difficult things with these type of tournaments is that the amount of games you play in a limited time.  What big adjustments can be made? What bad habits can be stopped? Winning and losing streaks are funny things. Once they get rolling they can be hard to stop. This tournament was a disappointment but there are lessons to be learned by the players and the staff.

I still think this it's too early to judge SJU as a whole, and I am rooting for the people that wanted to comeback to SJU, to make it great again. From the President on down, we have people that are fighting to make this university better and they want to be here. It will just take time with plenty mistakes along the way. Mullins is the first big decision made by Dr. Gempishaw, I would judge this decision starting from last year and leave out the old SJU history to the old regime.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2016, 04:19:06 PM »
Do you take Steve Pikell and his staff over ours 6 games into the year right now?

Wack thread, but can't say, "yay" or "nay," to Pikell's staff versus ours at this moment.  He might be a decent coach, but I doubt he wins at Rutgers.  Besides, Rutgers hasn't played anyone yet.  They've struggled in their last two games against weak opponents, and they'd probably have the same record as the Johnnies, if they'd played the same schedule. 

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2016, 04:48:29 PM »
Give Richmond a chance - by the way the one assistant that we got rid of Slice had a losing record at Manhattan.

Most good coaches win at Manhattan and use it as a stepping stone to better jobs.
Slice is one of the few that couldn't do that

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2016, 05:03:15 PM »
 what I saw in Atlantis of Richmond impressed me.

Mid day yesterday, we noticed Richmond sitting in a corner semi shaded spot near one of the pools across from us.  A few minutes later I see Bashir Ahmed come up next to him.. they were there for what seemed at least an hour or more.

I have no idea what was said, but it was pretty clear that Richmond was coaching him as he routinely had his hands, arms etc up in demonstrative positions and speaking to him in a very direct way.   Bashir seemed to just watch and listen the entire time. 

Short while later a "hug/handshake" and they walked back off.

If anything, it's this kind of thing that players gravitate to and respect as I don't think another mid level x & o coach would get that same type of mindshare.

I give Richmond and credit.  He doesn't need this and what he and zMullin may lack in coaching experience they might make up for in respect.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 05:06:20 PM by RedStormNC »

Johnny23

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2016, 05:14:48 PM »

Mid day yesterday, we noticed Richmond sitting in a corner semi shaded spot near one of the pools across from us.  A few minutes later I see Bashir Ahmed come up next to him.. they were there for what seemed at least an hour or more.

I have no idea what was said, but it was pretty clear that Richmond was coaching him as he routinely had his hands, arms etc up in demonstrative positions and speaking to him in a very direct way.   Bashir seemed to just watch and listen the entire time. 

If anything, it's this kind of thing that players gravitate to and respect as I don't think another mid level x & o coach would get that same type of mindshare.

I give Richmond and credit.  He doesn't need this and what he and zMullin may lack in coaching experience they might make up for in respect.

Serious post? Dude, players gravitate to coaches who can put them in the best situation to win, bottom line. He's not doing this program a favor. He's getting paid to do a job. If you think his attitude is he doesn't "need" this job, then he shouldn't be coaching this team.

TONYD3

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2016, 05:24:41 PM »

Cool story. I am sure Richmond is a good man. I was wrong to blame him like that I was angry after watching the game this morning. . I also think Mullin is a great man. At the same time I don't think this staff as is can compete at this level. Some thing needs to change.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 05:33:56 PM by TONYD3 »

Tha Kid

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2016, 05:41:04 PM »
Typical tony spouting off nonsense based on absolutely nothing.  Wish we could just delete this thread.  Threads about frustration about the start are more than fine but how do you even begin to act like you know this is on Richmond?
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2016, 05:54:50 PM »
I get your point Johnny23, that wasn't my intent that he's doing us a favor...

Rather that no coach is perfect, experienced or not and it's showing that our guys need to do a lot more listening and learning....and hearing it from a guy who had been there doesn't hurt.

It's painful to watch but more to be encouraged by than throwing arms up and saying get a new staff and players
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 05:55:32 PM by RedStormNC »

Johnny23

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2016, 06:00:42 PM »
I get your point Johnny23, that wasn't my intent that he's doing us a favor...

Rather that no coach is perfect, experienced or not and it's showing that our guys need to do a lot more listening and learning....and hearing it from a guy who had been there doesn't hurt.

It's painful to watch but more to be encouraged by than throwing arms up and saying get a new staff and players

Gotcha. I'm pulling for them too.