Mitch Richmond needs to go!

• 75 replies

Marillac

Re: Mitch Richmond needs to go!
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2016, 06:37:01 PM »
When you have a staff that has only one year of coaching experience, the expectation is that they will improve each year. Let's hope that happens here.

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2016, 06:44:37 PM »
Six games for you all to come unglued. Impressed.

TONYD3

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2016, 07:48:18 PM »
Six games for you all to come unglued. Impressed.
Maybe i overreacted a bit. But in game coaching is a problem. As is game preparation. As is player development. Season just started. Need to beat the awful teams . Need to beat Fordham, Penn state, and Tulane. Hoping we play Syracuse tough. Need to compete in big east. 

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2016, 11:11:33 PM »
The title of the thread is extreme but the question of him occupying the vacant assistant spot is fair. I've expressed concern over it before the transition. I think all the great things Mitch brings to the table was possible in his old role. Not sure it was the best possible move making him an assistant over a clipboard xo coach preferably with previous head coaching experience.

I think St. Jean is a great young basketball mind but there are certain elements to coaching on the bench that comes with experience. How to react when certain things happen in game and how to fix it.

Just as the players there will be growing pains with this staff.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2016, 11:13:50 PM »
The 1coach who actually did have head coaching experience is still on the payroll. But Napoleon took care of that

A barber could cut hair for 10 years doesn't mean he gives a good haircut. Slice was a recruiter who didn't recruit. He wasn't adding anything to scouting, game planning, in game.

Poison

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2016, 11:32:50 PM »
I am fine brining in an entire new staff but that is not going to happen. We don't need  an X's and O's coach, we need a basketball coach. Bring in a young guy who has COACHED before, doesn't have 50 million in the bank, wants to work, is not just the friend of the head coach, will tell the head coach no that's a bad idea at times, and who runs so sort of offense.  Let st. Jean assist him .Mullin can be the face of the program.  Maybe he will learn something. If our head coach was anyone else every fan would agree. This team has been awful since day one when they couldn't handle the press from a division 2 team.

We were not prepared in our non conference games last year. We got out coached vs Minnesota who isn't good. We came in 8th place here . Plenty of talent to NEVER win!

Minnesota housed Arkansas. For a team that isn't good, they keep winning games.

SJUFAN

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2016, 12:34:08 AM »
Wow. This is the result of delusion. I'm still waiting to see the talent everyone here speaks of. I believe that is the problem, not the coaches, but the fans. I don't know when it happened, but somehow every player that dons a STJ uniform is an NBA player. That non sense needs to stop and along with it unrealistic expectations. Think its too early to write off the staff, not with this roster. This staff will consistently bring in more talented players than this program has seen in decades. The two best players on the team is our freshman guards. College basketball is a guard oriented game. We will build around them and then judge the staff accordingly.

Poison

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2016, 01:05:55 AM »
Wow. This is the result of delusion. I'm still waiting to see the talent everyone here speaks of. I believe that is the problem, not the coaches, but the fans. I don't know when it happened, but somehow every player that dons a STJ uniform is an NBA player. That non sense needs to stop and along with it unrealistic expectations. Think its too early to write off the staff, not with this roster. This staff will consistently bring in more talented players than this program has seen in decades. The two best players on the team is our freshman guards. College basketball is a guard oriented game. We will build around them and then judge the staff accordingly.

I'll tell you when it happened, November 1994.

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2016, 01:08:37 AM »
The 1coach who actually did have head coaching experience is still on the payroll. But Napoleon took care of that

A barber could cut hair for 10 years doesn't mean he gives a good haircut. Slice was a recruiter who didn't recruit. He wasn't adding anything to scouting, game planning, in game.

A barbers cutting hair for 10 years it means he's doing something right

LoganK

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2016, 07:13:34 AM »

Many coach openings are filled with members of the Old Boys Club.  Knowing the right people doesn't make you good at your job.  Slice was a recruiter at his previous stops and his 5 year head coaching stint did not go well.

« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2016, 08:26:55 AM »

I see a lot of bad haircuts out there.

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2016, 08:44:55 AM »
Why cant people give him a chance - if he puts in time like he did as a player he will fine
Somebody posted the one man with heading coaching experience  quit - maybe Chris told him he had to start earning his 5ook salary
Slice was one of the few head coaches at Manhattan that had a losing record and didn't use the job as a stepping stone for a better job
If he knows so much about coaching and recruiting why did he have a losing record
Coach Cal seems like he is still recruiting alright without the recruiting guru.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 08:46:01 AM by Scheppy »

TONYD3

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2016, 09:14:35 AM »
I said there is talent. Not all big east talent. But enough talent to win an occasional game. Old odominion would kill for yakwe, ponds, Lovett and others on the roster. I don't think Minnesota, VCU, or undermanned Michigan state were that much more talented then us.
In the big east besides the top, I think our talent is comparable to many of the teams. Besides DePaul, who are we beating?

ras

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2016, 11:17:06 AM »
Our talent is still young. Can't compare a 4 star Freshman w a simalarly rank  Junior. On the other hand, would like to see improvement from our Sophmores.

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2016, 11:28:41 AM »

Not really.  I personally know a barber whose been cutting for longer than that, and he can't cut worth a damn.

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2016, 12:38:57 PM »
I dont think Mitch is the problem. The area where I was worried about where he might not have the impact is putting in the time recruiting kids. Too early to tell on that so not fair to criticize him since our recruiting has been fine so far even if it is Matt doing the heavy lifting.  More important in year 2 by the end of the season is player development and how the guys are playing and executing on the court together

« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2016, 12:56:53 PM »
Effort stat:  OD outrebounded us by 20.  There was no effort off the boards... Our defensive effort is poor at best... We don't run many plays.  I could go on.  There's a tremendous amount of sucktion here.  Suffice it to say, that's on the coaches. 

Poison

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2016, 12:58:47 PM »
I agree, this thread should at least have a new title. Why are people blaming Richmond for our terrible front court? Our guards aren't costing us games. Our big men clearly are.

Dan

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2016, 01:21:51 PM »
The problem is more that the 2nd year players looked to have regressed.  That's scary.

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2016, 12:29:55 AM »
The problem is more that the 2nd year players looked to have regressed.  That's scary.

This thought process is extreme but shared by many. 3/4 new starters, 4 of 6 games on the road (neutral), and guys are hitting the panic button. Some things have been better than I thought while others are somewhat disappointing but its so so so early. Wait till end of out of conference to take this stance.