Mitch Richmond needs to go!

• 75 replies
Re: Mitch Richmond needs to go!
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2016, 07:11:38 PM »
Tonyd  is right. Can someone tell me what he brings to the table?

Why don't you state your own opinion?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2016, 07:15:58 PM »
Anyone who laughs at Chris Mullin is a joke.

And Matt A recruited his tail off at Iowa St and has done well here. So if they don't like him maybe it's for personality reasons (don't know him) or maybe because he kicked their arse on the trail.

« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2016, 07:19:27 PM »
I'm out on the recruiting trail and spend time with 900+ college coaches. Every coach thinks he's the smartest coach in the gym and rarely do they have positive things to say about their peers.

Look at this guys who does he think he is?
No shot he knows anything about coaching.
I wonder if he can name 1 player on the floor?

Just some of the things I hear about Mullin. So Baldi is right people do speak negatively about him but it mostly comes from a place of ignorance and insecurity.

As for Matt he's one of those guys you hate because he's not on your team. Love him if he is.

« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2016, 07:25:08 PM »
Oh i know Baldi is right on that front. My point is that coach has accomplished more in the game of basketball and life than most.  Putting ones accomplishments against his when it comes to hoops is a tall comparison. Obviously as a colllege head coach the jury is out.

Johnny23

« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2016, 07:26:32 PM »
I've been pretty critical on the lack of coaching that I see taking place during games. With that said, we've been in a lot of close games so far this year so give the staff and the players at least a few months before burning them at the stake. From what I've seen, the results won't be much better by then as there's no real offensive system that has been implemented, it's more streetball style. However we'll see in a few months. 

« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2016, 07:35:47 PM »
Not surprising to hear that some coaches talk boldly in private, but then you get other coaches like Jay Wright who have publicly praised Mullin.

http://nypost.com/2016/01/31/why-jay-wrights-amazed-by-how-chris-mullins-losing/

Mullin has Wright’s endorsement. This figures to be the first year of many on-court and recruiting battles between the two.

“He’s a Hall of Famer,” Wright said. “You can see there’s no ego. He’s sticking with his kids. His kids stick together. They never quit on him. They play hard for him. It’s really impressive as a coach, and all of us coaches are looking at it that way.”

Wright was 10-18 his first year at Hofstra all those many years ago. He knows about the process of building. He likes what he’s seeing from Mullin and St. John’s even while the rest of us see only a losing streak.

“It shows everybody that guys are going to want to come here, and these guys are going to be good,” Wright said.

Then he added something about the Red Storm season that Mullin should remember.

“If you can handle this, you can handle anything.”

« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 07:36:30 PM by RedStormNC »

ras

« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2016, 08:21:41 PM »
I don't think the bigs have regressed I just think they are what they are. I posted earlier that they are long athletic shot blockers which puts them out of position to rebound thus preventing fast break opportunities and utilizing the strength of the team (speed  of guards) and got ripped for my observation. They play hard and  give max effort but are skinny with awful hands and no natural feel for the game. You could bring in the best big man coach in the world  and they will still be limited offensively. They are to be commended for maximizing what they have but they need to bring in more skilled post players (Reid). 
I don't think the bigs have regressed I just think they are what they are. I posted earlier that they are long athletic shot blockers which puts them out of position to rebound thus preventing fast break opportunities and utilizing the strength of the team (speed  of guards) and got ripped for my observation. They play hard and  give max effort but are skinny with awful hands and no natural feel for the game. You could bring in the best big man coach in the world  and they will still be limited offensively. They are to be commended for maximizing what they have but they need to bring in more skilled post players (Reid). 

Well said 79. In addition to your points, Anthony Livingston would've alleviated a lot of the front court's deficiencies. The staff knew what they were missing and looked for a traditional 4 man, Livingston would've covered a lot of ground. He's now averaging 12.7ppg/5rpg down at Texas Tech. Unfortunately he's not on campus and Amar kept his scholarship.

Yes. Anthony LivinGston doing a great job against the likes of of  Utah St, North Texas, Eastern r Kentucky, Utah St, Idaho St and in the loss to Powerhouse Auburn.

I think he would have been just what the doctor ordered:  someone with hands on offense
that can catch a pass and covert while also not being backed down on the other end.

But this is a throwaway season in terms of wins and losses anyway, so might as well let the kids get experience. I see no way around playing RF at the four now since nobody else
gives us anything on offense but him.
Based on the way RF has played so far he deserves to be behind Amar in our rotation. Maybe he had the jitters, maybe he has been unlucky. To skinny and inexperienced to defend the 4 position and his shooting has been terrible. Unless that changes he should be playing no more than 10 min. a game. Re, Mitch, I like him, but he may not be the best coach to compliment Mullin. Sure would like to have a guy like Dunlap on the bench. Of course the Slice buy out hampers our ability to pay up for another assistant.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 08:26:53 PM by ras »

Poison

« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2016, 08:21:54 PM »
It's way too soon to judge Mullin's body of work. However, I wish everyone would stop with the he's accomplished so much everywhere he's been. He's All-World basketball player, and every STJ fan of course loves him, but we all know that while great players sometimes make great coaches, it would be naive of us to think that his coaching success will come just because of his accomplishments as a player.

Again, if you are secretly rooting for him to fail because you love the I told you so, you may get your wish, but from what I can see all is not lost on Nov 28th. The team still went toe to toe with two very good Big Ten teams. We were a good game from Ellison or Yakwe away from winning a couple in Atlantis.

Let's give it some time to see what our players and our staff is really made of.

« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2016, 09:09:11 PM »

My own opinion? I've been posting Live during every game, to myself at times. When the so called die harda are nowhere to be found

« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2016, 10:02:51 PM »

My own opinion? I've been posting Live during every game, to myself at times. When the so called die harda are nowhere to be found

I must have missed it. Can you post again please?

bk8664

« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2016, 10:27:38 PM »
I am fine brining in an entire new staff but that is not going to happen. We don't need  an X's and O's coach, we need a basketball coach. Bring in a young guy who has COACHED before, doesn't have 50 million in the bank, wants to work, is not just the friend of the head coach, will tell the head coach no that's a bad idea at times, and who runs so sort of offense.  Let st. Jean assist him .Mullin can be the face of the program.  Maybe he will learn something. If our head coach was anyone else every fan would agree. This team has been awful since day one when they couldn't handle the press from a division 2 team.

We were not prepared in our non conference games last year. We got out coached vs Minnesota who isn't good. We came in 8th place here . Plenty of talent to NEVER win!

No.

desco80

« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2016, 10:27:57 PM »
Im in the minority, but I do see some semblance of an offensive system.  We run a lot of high pick n rolls with Yakwe/Sima and Lovett.  We run some screens to post and repost Sima on the low block. 
There are multiple options on most sets.

I'm not saying it looks textbook.  But I think there's a scheme.

I think we fall short in execution.  And not just in the obvious ways like catching and finishing in the lane.
We often set shitty picks.  Our nonballhandlers  (aka everybody but Lovett and Ponds) hold the ball too long.  Ponds and Lovett aren't always looking to pass once they put their heads down.  Sima and Yakwe dont do a grwat job of pushing their asses into the defender and sealing off when they are catching an entry pass. Etc

I don't want to make excuses for the staff, they need to develop the players.  But everyone keeps saying there's too much freestyle.  I don't see that.  I see plays and sets that break down because of a crappy pick, or a poor post up.... and then the shot clock runs down and we have to jack up a contested 3.
These are problems not uncommon to young players.  And I expect they will improve.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 10:29:58 PM by desco80 »

« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2016, 07:38:17 AM »
They are laughed out by other staffs - says who - maybe they would never credit to two Hall of Fame players.
By who the Iona staff - the same guy that couldn't start on any of Chris Mullin SJU teams.
They could be jealous because they couldn't play the game like two hall of fame players
Do you go to practice and see what Richmond does.
And if the overpaid slice worked one  tenth as hard as Napoleon maybe he would have gotten some recruits instead of collecting a big fat pay check for doing nothing.
If the other staffs aren't Kentucky, Kanas and Duke - how many nationals recruits do they get and how many NCAA championships did they win.
Maybe instead of laughing at SJU staff they should be more concerned about there own programs.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 07:46:01 AM by Scheppy »

« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2016, 10:27:37 AM »
They are laughed out by other staffs - says who - maybe they would never credit to two Hall of Fame players.
By who the Iona staff - the same guy that couldn't start on any of Chris Mullin SJU teams.
They could be jealous because they couldn't play the game like two hall of fame players
Do you go to practice and see what Richmond does.
And if the overpaid slice worked one  tenth as hard as Napoleon maybe he would have gotten some recruits instead of collecting a big fat pay check for doing nothing.
If the other staffs aren't Kentucky, Kanas and Duke - how many nationals recruits do they get and how many NCAA championships did they win.
Maybe instead of laughing at SJU staff they should be more concerned about there own programs.

Who said anything about the IONA staff?

The fact is, is that the staff needs to work harder at coaching. It's noticeable

« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2016, 11:00:35 AM »
Do you think it is possible after six games with all the new faces that he is still trying to figure out what they are capable of dong

They play hard for him and that is a good start
Name just one staff that is laughing at SJU
If you are going to make statements like that and least back it up with some proof
You also never give Matt any credit for working his ass off still dreaming that Slice was so wonderful
Cal seems like he didn't miss a beat without his recruiting
Have you been to any practices and seen how Mitch is coaching.
People that know the game don't have to scream to get there point accross
have to admit you were right about Richardson he is tearing up the D-league
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 11:06:22 AM by Scheppy »

SJU79

« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2016, 12:35:32 PM »
Can I agree with everyone? Yes Dave is correct, EVERY coach in EVERY gym at EVERY level thinks they are the smartest in the room(yes even and especially AAU guys and the Tiny's of the world) so Baldi is correct their is a lot of criticism about the SJU staff. Not atypical, especially since many feel a few of the staff didn't pay there "dues". Others are right that the in game adjustments have also been criticized any probably rightfully so. But those defending the staff and the program are also correct, its a work in progress, he inherited a team devoid of talent and he's on the right track. Lets just hope the staff continues to improve as well as the player. Now if we can get Luther and Naz.....