What We Learned In Atlantis

• 75 replies
Re: What We Learned In Atlantis
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2016, 12:25:57 AM »
Very good post goredmen. Ellison is atrocious and needs to sit. I agree that Freudenberg has been playing tentative, but I would still like to see him get all of Ellison's minutes. He has a better understanding of the game now than Ellison will ever have. Also he is one of the few players who is not always looking for his own shot. He plays team basketball, moves the basketball well, and rarely tries to go one on one. He is being asked to play out of position at the 4. He does not have the strength to defend that position. He should be backing up Ahmed at the 3.

FYI Ellison is 2nd most efficient passer on the team (assists per minute). I think if Ellison made 5 more shots people would be asking for him to play more.

To reiterate I think he's played poorly over the first 6 games but I think it's entirely too early to make judgements on any of the guys.

If you want to throw KenPom stats at us, it's worth mentioning his offensive rating is 85.6 which is horrendous.

Maybe this was just a bad stretch and he will turn it around but I find that hard to believe. I think the staff has known for quite some time now that he's not good as evidenced by his lack of playing time. He got 11 minutes against Minnesota and no more than 21 in a game in Atlantis. If they thought this 6-6 guy with "point guard skills" was helping the team he'd be getting more minutes

Minutes per game:

Bash 21.7
Mussini 18.8
Ellison 17.3

Things have been pretty balanced outside of Lovett and Ponds. Again 6 games.

A 6-6 athletic kid with PG skills that could guard 1-3 on opposing teams should be getting a ton more minutes per game than an undersized guard who can only shoot and can't guard a fire hydrant.

Also, Bash's minutes in the Atlantis games were partially limited because of the foul trouble he was in

Well I think you've seen that coaches go to Ellison over Mussini a number of times. Both are right around # of min I expected. Hoping Bash gets more minutes at the 4 and reduces Yakwe and Owens mins.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

QuanMan

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2016, 09:28:11 AM »
Very good post goredmen. Ellison is atrocious and needs to sit. I agree that Freudenberg has been playing tentative, but I would still like to see him get all of Ellison's minutes. He has a better understanding of the game now than Ellison will ever have. Also he is one of the few players who is not always looking for his own shot. He plays team basketball, moves the basketball well, and rarely tries to go one on one. He is being asked to play out of position at the 4. He does not have the strength to defend that position. He should be backing up Ahmed at the 3.

FYI Ellison is 2nd most efficient passer on the team (assists per minute). I think if Ellison made 5 more shots people would be asking for him to play more.

To reiterate I think he's played poorly over the first 6 games but I think it's entirely too early to make judgements on any of the guys.

If you want to throw KenPom stats at us, it's worth mentioning his offensive rating is 85.6 which is horrendous.

Maybe this was just a bad stretch and he will turn it around but I find that hard to believe. I think the staff has known for quite some time now that he's not good as evidenced by his lack of playing time. He got 11 minutes against Minnesota and no more than 21 in a game in Atlantis. If they thought this 6-6 guy with "point guard skills" was helping the team he'd be getting more minutes

Minutes per game:

Bash 21.7
Mussini 18.8
Ellison 17.3

A 6-6 athletic kid with PG skills that could guard 1-3 on opposing teams should be getting a ton more minutes per game than an undersized guard who can only shoot and can't guard a fire hydrant.

Also, Bash's minutes in the Atlantis games were partially limited because of the foul trouble he was in

Well I think you've seen that coaches go to Ellison over Mussini a number of times. Both are right around # of min I expected. Hoping Bash gets more minutes at the 4 and reduces Yakwe and Owens mins.

It was Malik that closed out the ODU game, and he was pretty demonstrative during one of their last player meetings before a free throw. I think he has a chance to be one of the captains as he becomes a upper classman. Once he becomes more assertive and confident, I expect him to greatly improve as the season progresses.

CM is using Moose in spurts, looking for instant offense. He left him in the MSU game too long, but made the right call with him during the VCU and ODU tilts, where he hit big shots in critical situations.

Both of them are going to take time to get used to their roles and play off one another, as is the rest of the team and coaching staff. Nevertheless, I like the rotation at wing and think that the Bash, Malik and Moose tandem have a ton of potential together.
Section 3
Section 116

cjfish

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2016, 09:40:49 AM »
with Simon coming in, Malik will be the first transfer if he doesnt wake up

Marillac

« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2016, 11:09:07 AM »

Minutes per game:

Bash 21.7
Mussini 18.8
Ellison 17.3

Who is the 6'6 kid that can defend 1-3? Surely you don't mean Ellison. He makes  Mussini look like Gary Payton this year.

Foad

« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2016, 11:09:21 AM »
CM is using Moose in spurts, looking for instant offense. He left him in the MSU game too long, but made the right call with him during the VCU and ODU tilts, where he hit big shots in critical situations.

No he didn't. He hit two shots vs ODU, a three when they were down 14 and a 2 when they were down 11. Versus VCU he hit a three when they were down 9 and another three when they were down 8. There's nothing critical about any of that. OTOH he has proven himself an excellent garbage time shooter.

Also, don't ever call a game a "tilt" again. TIA.

QuanMan

« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2016, 11:25:08 AM »

No he didn't. He hit two shots vs ODU, a three when they were down 14 and a 2 when they were down 11. Versus VCU he hit a three when they were down 9 and another three when they were down 8. There's nothing critical about any of that. OTOH he has proven himself an excellent garbage time shooter.

Foad- When VCU made their biggest run and we were in the middle of a scoring drought, Moose hit back to back 3's during the 12th minute of the second half to cut the deficit in half from 11 to 5. Those threes kept us in the game and gave us the boost we needed to battle through the last 10 minutes. This is exactly where CM is going to look for production from him this season. Get your facts straight before you go on tangents.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 11:26:00 AM by QuanMan »
Section 3
Section 116

Foad

« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2016, 11:44:34 AM »
Foad- When VCU made their biggest run and we were in the middle of a scoring drought, Moose hit back to back 3's during the 12th minute of the second half to cut the deficit in half from 11 to 5. Those threes kept us in the game and gave us the boost we needed to battle through the last 10 minutes. This is exactly where CM is going to look for production from him this season. Get your facts straight before you go on tangents.

My facts were spot on. He hit two threes versus VCU, one down 11 (I said 9, that's even worse) the second one cut the lead from eight to five. That's exactly what I said. I also said there's was nothing critical about hitting a three when your team's down 10 points. If that were the case half the threes in college basketball would be in "critical" situations. A critical situation is when your team is down two with .01 on thew clock. Let me know when he buries one of those, I'll make a novena.

Here's a fact: Mussini is not very good at basketball. He does one thing and that one thing not even particularly well. He's not a dead eye shooter, he's not a clutch shooter, he's barely an adequate shooter. If Ellison wasn't just as awful he wouldn't see the floor.

QuanMan

« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2016, 11:51:57 AM »

My facts were spot on. He hit two threes versus VCU, one down 11 (I said 9, that's even worse) the second one cut the lead from eight to five. That's exactly what I said. I also said there's was nothing critical about hitting a three when your team's down 10 points. If that were the case half the threes in college basketball would be in "critical" situations. A critical situation is when your team is down two with .01 on thew clock. Let me know when he buries one of those, I'll make a novena.

Here's a fact: Mussini is not very good at basketball. He does one thing and that one thing not even particularly well. He's not a dead eye shooter, he's not a clutch shooter, he's barely an adequate shooter. If Ellison wasn't just as awful he wouldn't see the floor.

The game was hanging in the balance, VCU was about to really open things up. We disagree on what is a critical situation, let's move on.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 12:06:58 PM by QuanMan »
Section 3
Section 116

ras

« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2016, 11:54:33 AM »

Minutes per game:

Bash 21.7
Mussini 18.8
Ellison 17.3

So do I. But for that to happen Mussini or Ellison are going to have to step up.

« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2016, 12:21:45 PM »
Marrilac,  you are spot on. I can't believe there are people who think Ellison plays good defense. His defense is worse than his offense, and his offense sucks.

Johnny23

« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2016, 02:14:17 PM »
Ellison is putrid. Hopefully he frees up another scholly at year's end.

« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2016, 04:43:02 PM »
- Our post offense was bad at Atlantis.  Was frustrating to see our bigs working hard to establish good position down low and have our guards deliver it at just the right moment only to have no score to show for it time an time again.

- Badly out rebounded.  I think 20+ in the last two games.  Our bigs are going to have to toughen up.

- The two lead guards are as exciting and dynamic as advertised.  What entertainment we're going to get is gonna be from them.  Shame that Lovett's two mental lapses were contributing factors to the Vcu loss.

- Mussini played far better defensively in the Bahamas than he does in the continental US.  Don't know if our opponents scouting was just worse or what,  but he stayed between his player and the basket almost the whole time.

- Bash can score.  We know it.  He certainly knows it and we need a third scorer and he's going to be it. He's going to have to pass a little bit or his teammates are going to hate him.

- Ellison is going to play.  He's a 6' 6" athlete and there's nobody else.  Try to be patient.
Mussini is going to play. He's a 6' 2" shooter and there's nobody else.  Try to be patient.
Afterall, they'll be juniors next year.

- It was a great experience traveling with the team like that.  Met a lot of good people from the Johnny community and almost all were most gracious.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 04:44:10 PM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2016, 04:55:50 PM »
I'm curious as to what offense we can effectively run when our big guys can't shoot or even catch the ball. We have no interior scoring and will rely on the guards to score almost all our points. Pete Carrill couldn't run an efficient offense with our bigs. Almost at all times, we have 2 and sometimes 3 guys on the floor that are no threat to score.

TONYD3

« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2016, 05:38:49 PM »
We all watch the same games . We all think so different. I think Ellison is a million times better then he was . He was really lost last year . I think he can be an ok back up. playing sound defense and not coming in thinking he is a gunner should be stressed in practice. He should shoot if he is wide open, that is it. Maybe he won't be an all big east defender but playing man to man isn't that complicated.
Lovett, ponds, and Ahmed can all score. The forwards are what I expected . I am pleasantly surprised with Owens. He is not awful. Plenty skinny but he plays tough.
Yes we could have used a Livingston, was he the only PF out there? That is areal question. We found Lovett and ponds, there wasn't one juco tough guy out there ? I have no idea.
Harrison's sophomore and junior year didn't have this much offensive talent. Those teams competed and won games.
Our defense has been better, still has a way to go. We need to take care of the ball, figure out ways to take it from the other team, STOP allowing our bad players to shoot. (No 3's Amar and Ellison ) we need to get to basket and get easy shots and shoot free throws. We finally have a team that shoots free throws well.
Plenty of talent to make NIT or get close. That would be a fun season. That is reasonable. More would be GREAT. Less would be BAD
Why are all the mullin fans so afraid to put expectations on him? Last year SHOULD or could have been better. The start to the season SHOULD have been better. Season is not over. Hoping Coach starts winning and makes us all happy. Deleware state looks awful.
Looking foward to New Orleans . Will be a fun weekend and we should win. Can't wait to beat up Fordham. Need to take care of business vs penn state.

Poison

« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2016, 05:40:14 PM »
I'm curious as to what offense we can effectively run when our big guys can't shoot or even catch the ball. We have no interior scoring and will rely on the guards to score almost all our points. Pete Carrill couldn't run an efficient offense with our bigs. Almost at all times, we have 2 and sometimes 3 guys on the floor that are no threat to score.

Sima and Yakwe have been really disappointing, but let's give Freudenberg and Owens some time. Think about how many minutes of D1 ball they've played. The players are just starting to see what high major basketball is.

ras

« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2016, 08:36:14 PM »
I think one thing we learned is that Bash,Lovett and Ponds should get plenty of PT. The other 2 positions may depend on who develops the best or who has the hot hand. I think if Owens could control his fouling he should be given more PT.

« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2016, 08:56:27 PM »
Bashir's averaging 21.7 mpg so far... Despite his me first play style, he plays hungry and would prefer to see him pushing 25-30 vs. our other options unless he fouls out.. leaving him on the bench with fouls to spare doesn't help our offensive cause at his positions

Hopefully he's getting some guidance to look around a little more, and pull him only when really making a boneheaded decision.

I think Owen's will improve a bit more... He's far from a back to the basket pounder, but I think he can shoot a few feet from the basket, and I have more confidence in him hitting those than Sima or Yakwe.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 10:15:41 PM by RedStormNC »

« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2016, 09:46:28 PM »
Spot on R S NC.

goredmen

« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2016, 10:23:53 PM »

Minutes per game:

Bash 21.7
Mussini 18.8
Ellison 17.3

Who is the 6'6 kid that can defend 1-3? Surely you don't mean Ellison. He makes  Mussini look like Gary Payton this year.

That's precisely my point

« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2016, 11:08:43 PM »
We'll see. Looking fwd to some home games.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle