Mid-year transfers?

• 296 replies

TONYD3

Re: Mid-year transfers?
« Reply #200 on: December 27, 2016, 01:20:07 PM »
M
Gee, I kinda remember  someone predicting the next step in this process was Baldi throwing transfer rumors around....

Ding ding ding.....lol...same shit, different season...

A tedious read, once again....enjoy the BE season..

Like I said,  I'm not the only 1 hearing it. Thanks for adding to the conversation though

In fairness to Bluto for a losing program, we sure do seem to lose our better players. This is part of the problem why we will never be consistently  good. When we do get building block players they never seem to stick around long enough for better players to join them.

I think they will but that takes some head coaching consistency.  It's why we can't be turning over coaches any more.  Mullin needs a few years to get a stable roster together, get an experienced team built and see where it goes.   Our offense has been quite good under Mullin.  Let's see where things go as this gets built.  Can't be done overnight.

MCNPA- what do you think about the defense?

Defense has been overall poor, but better recently.  We are the second youngest team in the country though so I expected some high school defense early on.  We also don't have much interior defensive ability,  but that is more about the roster.   We need a guy or two that can body up inside, which we don't have. 
Mullin needs to prove that he is not the worst coach in the country if he wants more years. Freshman make mistakes. We are not playing all freshman. Playing man to man defense isn't the most complicated skill in the world. The players have limitations but they are athletic. Highly rated freshman should be able to Compete and in many cases dominate athletes rated considerably lower then them.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 01:21:39 PM by TONYD3 »

« Reply #201 on: December 27, 2016, 01:23:24 PM »
M
Gee, I kinda remember  someone predicting the next step in this process was Baldi throwing transfer rumors around....

Like I said,  I'm not the only 1 hearing it. Thanks for adding to the conversation though

In fairness to Bluto for a losing program, we sure do seem to lose our better players. This is part of the problem why we will never be consistently  good. When we do get building block players they never seem to stick around long enough for better players to join them.

I think they will but that takes some head coaching consistency.  It's why we can't be turning over coaches any more.  Mullin needs a few years to get a stable roster together, get an experienced team built and see where it goes.   Our offense has been quite good under Mullin.  Let's see where things go as this gets built.  Can't be done overnight.

Defense has been overall poor, but better recently.  We are the second youngest team in the country though so I expected some high school defense early on.  We also don't have much interior defensive ability,  but that is more about the roster.   We need a guy or two that can body up inside, which we don't have. 
Mullin needs to prove that he is not the worst coach in the country if he wants more years. Freshman make mistakes. We are not playing all freshman. Playing man to man defense isn't the most complicated skill in the world. The players have limitations but they are athletic. Highly rated freshman should be able Compete and in many cases dominate athletes rated considerably lower then them.

Norm Roberts was the worst coach in the country and was given 6 years He also was given a team with Darryl Hill and Lamont Hamilton.. Chris Mullin gets more than 2 years because he was given Chris Jones and Amar and he is Chris Mullin

« Reply #202 on: December 27, 2016, 01:39:10 PM »
Marillac, why would you let common sense get in the way of fan hysteria?

Wods317

« Reply #203 on: December 27, 2016, 01:45:59 PM »
M

Mullin needs to prove that he is not the worst coach in the country if he wants more years. Freshman make mistakes. We are not playing all freshman. Playing man to man defense isn't the most complicated skill in the world. The players have limitations but they are athletic. Highly rated freshman should be able Compete and in many cases dominate athletes rated considerably lower then them.

Norm Roberts was the worst coach in the country and was given 6 years He also was given a team with Darryl Hill and Lamont Hamilton.. Chris Mullin gets more than 2 years because he was given Chris Jones and Amar and he is Chris Mullin

Agree 100%.. Switching coaches every 3-5 years is not the answer. Mullin should and will have a long leash.

« Reply #204 on: December 27, 2016, 01:51:18 PM »
M

Agree 100%.. Switching coaches every 3-5 years is not the answer. Mullin should and will have a long leash.

Of course, Mullin is not going anywhere. This program needs him to be successful. At the same time, he is not above criticism

TONYD3

« Reply #205 on: December 27, 2016, 01:54:17 PM »
M

So the reason we should keep a coach who can't coach is because we did it once and it would only be fair? Does anyone think he can coach?

« Reply #206 on: December 27, 2016, 01:54:57 PM »
M

Of course, Mullin is not going anywhere. This program needs him to be successful. At the same time, he is not above criticism

Yeah only Norm was right Bluto?

« Reply #207 on: December 27, 2016, 02:01:45 PM »
M

My man, cousin Norm. He would've took SJU to the big dance with his seniors

MCNPA

« Reply #208 on: December 27, 2016, 02:17:21 PM »
M

So the reason we should keep a coach who can't coach is because we did it once and it would only be fair? Does anyone think he can coach?

Mullin is 2-0 against Syracuse, including their largest ever home loss.  Worst coaches aren't able to do that..  It's ridiculous.  We have holes for sure and plenty to improve on.  Judging Mullin's body of work based onl less than a season and a half when he inherited zero roster is absurd.  That said, our offense has already come a long way, to where we really can score.  I haven't seen our offense look this good since some of our best teams, and that's without any inside scoring threats.  Wait till we get a few bigs and PF's.

Our defense will improve, and we still don't have. A complete Big East roster after a season and a half. 
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 02:19:28 PM by MCNPA »

Wods317

« Reply #209 on: December 27, 2016, 02:25:35 PM »
M

Mullin is 2-0 against Syracuse, including their largest ever home loss.  Worst coaches aren't able to do that..  It's ridiculous.  We have holes for sure and plenty to improve on.  Judging Mullin's body of work based onl less than a season and a half when he inherited zero roster is absurd.  That said, our offense has already come a long way, to where we really can score.  I haven't seen our offense look this good since some of our best teams, and that's without any inside scoring threats.  Wait till we get a few bigs and PF's.

Our defense will improve, and we still don't have. A complete Big East roster after a season and a half. 

You are saying the jury is out on whether he can coach after 1 and a half seasons. Last year should hardly even count, that team was an absolute mess and next to no BE players and the ones we did have were freshman. This year has been disappointing but the offense has been very good for the most part. Young players always struggle playing defense and that is where we are at. Need a lot more time before we say he can't coach. Coaching isn't as hard as some seems to be making it. Good teams with veteran talent make a coach look good while the second youngest team in the country might make him look bad. This need for a complete overhaul of the roster is not on Mullin. If we still see the same problems next year and the year after then yea there is clearly something wrong.

TONYD3

« Reply #210 on: December 27, 2016, 02:42:21 PM »
I think we lose all remaining games vs teams that are not DePaul . I think most game are not close. I think we give up at least 40 points in the 1st half of every game. I think most teams could score 100 on us in every game. I don't believe we win 10 games on the season. I think the big east has some good teams with some excellent coaches . I think these coaches make our team look silly for the next 2 months. I absolutely believe a competent coach would do better under the current circumstances. I think we have a tournament team next year with a different coach. I do not believe we could ever win with this staff.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 02:46:12 PM by TONYD3 »

« Reply #211 on: December 27, 2016, 02:51:33 PM »
I think we lose all remaining games vs teams that are not DePaul . I think most game are not close. I think we give up at least 40 points in the 1st half of every game. I think most teams could score 100 on us in every game. I don't believe we win 10 games on the season. I think the big east has some good teams with some excellent coaches . I think these coaches make our team look silly for the next 2 months. I absolutely believe a competent coach would do better under the current circumstances. I think we have a tournament team next year with a different coach. I do not believe we could ever win with this staff.

After reading this you'd think we didn't just beat Syracuse by 30+. I get we're a bad team, but this post is absurd.

Poison

« Reply #212 on: December 27, 2016, 02:56:44 PM »
M

I don't think he would have. Norm had Hardy and Brownlee coming off the bench. Those were two best players on the team. His judgement as a coach was worse than anyone's I've ever seen in sports at any level. A starting 5 of Boothe, Horne, DJ, Evans and Coker makes the NIT.

Removing him saved those kids.

Poison

« Reply #213 on: December 27, 2016, 02:59:15 PM »

After reading this you'd think we didn't just beat Syracuse by 30+. I get we're a bad team, but this post is absurd.

SU is one game. We beat the snot out of them last year, too. During Norm's first season we beat #9 NC State, Pittsburgh and Georgetown. But a 9 win season was clearly nothing to get excited about despite the fact that people did anyway.

ras

« Reply #214 on: December 27, 2016, 03:05:53 PM »
Marillac, why would you let common sense get in the way of fan hysteria?
Because its hard to believe the S. FL. kid would want to come here to join Lovett, Ponds,Simon,Ellison and Mussini..Were not that great of a program. He is not going to give up 30 minutes a game PT at S.Fl. for 10 min a game here. Furthermore we have Bash and Clark at the 3, so talk of a 3 guard lineup is far from a forgone conclusion.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 03:09:49 PM by ras »

Foad

« Reply #215 on: December 27, 2016, 03:06:27 PM »
I think
I think
I think
I think
I think.
I think
I think 

You can say it as many times as you want, it's still not believable.

Wods317

« Reply #216 on: December 27, 2016, 03:07:16 PM »

I'm with you. We in a rush to judge everyone give him time. We would have tried to run some of the best coaches of this generation out of town if you want to fire them after less then two seasons. Mullin could be good or he could be bad, we don't know yet.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 03:07:51 PM by Wods317 »

Marillac

« Reply #217 on: December 27, 2016, 03:11:20 PM »
M

The progress in conference was undeniable:

2006/7 - 7-9
2007/8 - 5-13
2008/9 - 6-12
2009/10 - 6-12

Only a truly great coach could have won 6 games with 11 juniors and a 5th year senior like Mase Jr.  Just look at how he turned a 2-20 Queens College team into a 4-18 team his last
two years to up his winning % to 22%!

« Reply #218 on: December 27, 2016, 03:27:45 PM »

SU is one game. We beat the snot out of them last year, too. During Norm's first season we beat #9 NC State, Pittsburgh and Georgetown. But a 9 win season was clearly nothing to get excited about despite the fact that people did anyway.

I creamed my pants after each of those wins.  I thought we were on our way to a successful run.

The question is not whether Mullin can coach.  I think it is rather obvious that he can't (yet).  The issue is whether he will improve and how long should he be given to show that he is improving.  Why he has been able to destroy the Syracuse 2-3, I have no idea.  Maybe it goes back to what he learned when he played against them.  Unfortunately, that success hasn't carried over to other opponents and defenses.  At this point, I don't think anyone expects too many more victories this year.  He'll likely be given next year to demonstrate growth.  If there is no improvement then, he and the school will likely mutually agree to part ways.

« Reply #219 on: December 27, 2016, 03:29:46 PM »

Read Tony's post. Even the most pessimistic of people can't believe everything he just wrote there. If a couple things go our way, we could've won against Mich St., VCU, MINN, and even ODU. Those are decent teams to say the least. To suggest that every game from here on out will be a blowout is not only pessimistic, but it's not based on any evidence. I expect most of our BE games to be competitive, we will lose most of them, but I don't think our only wins will be against DePaul.