Mid-year transfers?

• 296 replies
Re: Mid-year transfers?
« Reply #220 on: December 27, 2016, 03:30:35 PM »
If he's shown you something pray tell what specifically is it?

1) A very convincing beat down win in the Carrier dome.

2) The recruitment of Love it and Ponds.

Poison

« Reply #221 on: December 27, 2016, 03:57:39 PM »
I think we lose all remaining games vs teams that are not DePaul . I think most game are not close. I think we give up at least 40 points in the 1st half of every game. I think most teams could score 100 on us in every game. I don't believe we win 10 games on the season. I think the big east has some good teams with some excellent coaches . I think these coaches make our team look silly for the next 2 months. I absolutely believe a competent coach would do better under the current circumstances. I think we have a tournament team next year with a different coach. I do not believe we could ever win with this staff.

After reading this you'd think we didn't just beat Syracuse by 30+. I get we're a bad team, but this post is absurd.

SU is one game. We beat the snot out of them last year, too. During Norm's first season we beat #9 NC State, Pittsburgh and Georgetown. But a 9 win season was clearly nothing to get excited about despite the fact that people did anyway.

Read Tony's post. Even the most pessimistic of people can't believe everything he just wrote there. If a couple things go our way, we could've won against Mich St., VCU, MINN, and even ODU. Those are decent teams to say the least. To suggest that every game from here on out will be a blowout is not only pessimistic, but it's not based on any evidence. I expect most of our BE games to be competitive, we will lose most of them, but I don't think our only wins will be against DePaul.

You are what your record is. The BE season hasn't started yet. There is time to turn this into a respectable season. What would need to happen in your eyes for this season to be a success? IMO, 2/3 wins in conference isn't acceptable. We've seen this movie before. If that happens, he needs to be removed.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 04:06:34 PM by Poison »

Poison

« Reply #222 on: December 27, 2016, 04:11:15 PM »

Syracuse is garbage this year. They've been taken to the woodshed by every high major opponent they've faced. LoVett and Ponds are promising talents. But two players isn't enough.

My biggest concern is that our coach hasn't instilled a sense of urgency. Hopefully, the result of the SU game came about because that connection was finally made. Before last Wednesday, I don't ever remember a St.John's team that played with such little fire.

MCNPA

« Reply #223 on: December 27, 2016, 04:17:24 PM »

Syracuse is garbage this year. They've been taken to the woodshed by every high major opponent they've faced. LoVett and Ponds are promising talents. But two players isn't enough.

My biggest concern is that our coach hasn't instilled a sense of urgency. Hopefully, the result of the SU game came about because that connection was finally made. Before last Wednesday, I don't ever remember a St.John's team that played with such little fire.

There's urgency I, sure, but not the entire bag of talent yet.  Yes Syracuse was bad, but look at how much Taurean Thompson means to their interior play?  I guarantee that if we had one guy like that on the interior, we'd be a very different team.  We'd still be young, but we are still a few pieces away.

boo3

« Reply #224 on: December 27, 2016, 04:26:32 PM »
Marillac, why would you let common sense get in the way of fan hysteria?

Marillac and Foad have become the most sane voices on here....thanks guys..

Mullin is going nowhere.....say it together now...amazing to think admin wouldn't let him complete at least one recruiting cycle...

Foad

« Reply #225 on: December 27, 2016, 04:34:04 PM »
Marillac and Foad have become the most sane voices on here

No feces. It's fvcking troubling.

lihoop

« Reply #226 on: December 27, 2016, 04:35:29 PM »
Mullin's house is for sale, does that mean he's going back to Cali? Or just a coincidence?

MCNPA

« Reply #227 on: December 27, 2016, 05:00:16 PM »
I'd add that Bashir Ahmed has also gotten a bit better.  Much more under control.  Shooting has improved as has decision making. 

wpc77

« Reply #228 on: December 27, 2016, 05:08:37 PM »
Mullin's house is for sale, does that mean he's going back to Cali? Or just a coincidence?

His daughter switched schools from manhasset high school to a private school in city.  Moving to make commute way for her

Foad

« Reply #229 on: December 27, 2016, 05:16:31 PM »

Good call.

sju89tr

« Reply #230 on: December 27, 2016, 05:48:39 PM »
Damn, the fans of this program are complainers. We have been for the most part mediocre at best for the past 25 years with some short flashes of winning basketball. I truly believe that if Mullin fails we are looking at a future like DePaul has. Dont be so quick to bash Mullin. Coaches are not lining up for this job.   

« Reply #231 on: December 27, 2016, 06:12:20 PM »
Damn, the fans of this program are complainers. We have been for the most part mediocre at best for the past 25 years with some short flashes of winning basketball. I truly believe that if Mullin fails we are looking at a future like DePaul has. Dont be so quick to bash Mullin. Coaches are not lining up for this job.   
Yes, nothing to see here or complain about. We already have DePaul's present and past.

Poison

« Reply #232 on: December 27, 2016, 06:12:38 PM »

You can call us complainers. Others would say we're realists. You just said that we've been mediocre at best for the last 25 years. Mediocre is a matter of opinion. Who are you comparing us to? The other teams in our conference? The only comparable program I can identify is DePaul. Their judgement has been even worse than ours.

Let me ask you this, since Lou Carnesecca retired, how many times have we even been the best team in the greater NY area? 6? 7? If that.

And in terms of who wants this job, maybe Billy Donovan isn't ready to leave the Thunder to come here, but don't you think a young coach like Danny Hurley who has already been through the growing pains of learning how to coach would have been a significantly better choice? Choosing Mullin is like throwing your hands up because you just can't do it. The reward is high should it work, but the risk is greater too.

I hope he figures out how to coach and shows everything something this season. Norm and Steve couldn't coach at this level, but they could motivate. Their players for the most part, gave their all. Why don't Mullin's players go all out? A mental error is one thing. It's often to youth, but effort?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 06:17:04 PM by Poison »

ras

« Reply #233 on: December 27, 2016, 06:20:09 PM »
This is where I agree w Poison. Although I don't think Mullin should be fired. We have sucked for most of the last 20 years and have had a lot to complain about. So I can't call the majority of the fan base complainers.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 06:21:17 PM by ras »

« Reply #234 on: December 27, 2016, 06:22:40 PM »
This is where I agree w Poison. Although I don't think Mullin should be fired. We have sucked for most of the last 15 years and have had a lot to complain about. So I can't call the majority of the fan base complainers.
Maybe we sucked for 10 out of 15 years. But we didn't suck for 5!

How many times to the tournament last 20 years?

TONYD3

« Reply #235 on: December 27, 2016, 06:26:49 PM »
This is where I agree w Poison. Although I don't think Mullin should be fired. We have sucked for most of the last 15 years and have had a lot to complain about. So I can't call the majority of the fan base complainers.

We sucked under norm. We suck under mullin. Those years shouldn't count. Lavin's years were fun. Every ogh r coach had positives.

sju89tr

« Reply #236 on: December 27, 2016, 06:54:13 PM »
Mullin is really our only chance to become relevant again. How can a guy like him not be able to coach?

ras

« Reply #237 on: December 27, 2016, 06:59:00 PM »

How many NCAA games have we won in 20 years? We were good Lavins first and last year.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 07:00:23 PM by ras »

TONYD3

« Reply #238 on: December 27, 2016, 07:02:24 PM »
Mullin is really our only chance to become relevant again. How can a guy like him not be able to coach?
Many of you believe this. Why?

goredmen

« Reply #239 on: December 27, 2016, 07:09:16 PM »

I disagree with that. We can be relevant with a bunch of coaches. Lavin made us relevant by bringing in highly rated recruits but just didn't know how to coach in games or run a stable/consistent program.

A guy like Danny Hurley would make us relevant. Any up and coming college coach that knows how to recruit, coach and run a college program could make and keep us relevant. Why can't we be a program like Butler and Xavier that maintains a consistent high level program year in and year out with guys that aren't considered high level coaches at the time they are hired.

Not saying Mullin can't or won't make us relevant again, but don't think it's fair to say he's the only one that can. Imagine if we got our hands on a guy like Archie Miller before Dayton did? If we find the next Archie we'd be very relevant