• 296 replies

NYCoffey

Re: Mid-year transfers?
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2016, 06:53:40 PM »
Or  a 5th year senior that is eligible immediately

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2016, 09:49:51 PM »
Much better option. Not a fan of mid year eligibility as most coaches have trouble integrating a new player into the rotation mid season.

Marillac

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2016, 10:39:37 AM »

We can get one of them too. Someone is going to leave after the season with Simon and Clarke waiting in the wings.

paultzman

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2016, 10:55:15 AM »
Not a mid year transfer, but watch out for possibility of pursuing Derrick Walker, 2017 PF from MOKAN AAU program, same one as Marvin Clark.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 11:01:23 AM by paultzman »

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2016, 11:19:41 AM »
What they really need is a player that can crash the offensive board and score the tough points inside.
Ahmen goes up strong but his drives to the basket is out of control if somebody can teach him to be more in control he could average at least 5 more points a game.
Recruit at least one player that can play like Ty Grant or even Billy Singleton not superstars but good tough basketball players.

ras

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2016, 11:31:45 AM »
What they really need is a player that can crash the offensive board and score the tough points inside.
Ahmen goes up strong but his drives to the basket is out of control if somebody can teach him to be more in control he could average at least 5 more points a game.
Recruit at least one player that can play like Ty Grant or even Billy Singleton not superstars but good tough basketball players.
Agree. The antithesis of Amar and Freud. Junkyard dogs w an inside game and a nose for the ball.

goredmen

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2016, 12:10:35 PM »
Not a mid year transfer, but watch out for possibility of pursuing Derrick Walker, 2017 PF from MOKAN AAU program, same one as Marvin Clark.

Interesting. Looks like only midwestern mid-majors on him right now. Hopefully a nice diamond in the rough type kid

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2016, 12:23:15 PM »

Interesting. Looks like only midwestern mid-majors on him right now. Hopefully a nice diamond in the rough type kid

Georgia and Tennessee recently offered, as well.

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2016, 02:27:57 PM »
Who was the kid sitting next to Amir  at the LIU game? # 25?  mid season red shirt?

Johnny23

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2016, 02:32:42 PM »
Give Freud a break. The kid has barely played any minutes in his young college career and he does some good things. His skill level looks to be high but he just needs to be more confident and not look to defer so much.

« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2016, 02:48:42 PM »
Give Freud a break. The kid has barely played any minutes in his young college career and he does some good things. His skill level looks to be high but he just needs to be more confident and not look to defer so much.

+1. I believe he will be a good one, given time and playing time. Not a Hooper disappointment.

« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2016, 03:07:37 PM »

+1. I believe he will be a good one, given time and playing time. Not a Hooper disappointment.

He is currently behind Yakwe, Owens, Ahmed, Ellison who will see time at the 3 now, Williams and AliallIdoismissthreesovich. In other words if he could play at all he would be playing. Again not every recruit we bring in will be good or deserve time. All programs have projects and roster fillers. The problem is some of you don't understand that RF is one of those and nowhere near a difference maker.

Marillac

« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2016, 03:10:08 PM »

Anyone expecting more from him by this point was not being reasonable.  I'm bullish on him to end the season and I think he'll look like a different player next season. 

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2016, 03:14:21 PM »

Anyone expecting more from him by this point was not being reasonable.  I'm bullish on him to end the season and I think he'll look like a different player next season. 

His shot is weird and he has no lateral movement. If he had a nice shot but questionable athleticism it might work out but would take awhile.  With a weird looking shot and below average athletic ability, what exactly are we looking at?

Johnny23

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2016, 03:19:05 PM »

He is currently behind Yakwe, Owens, Ahmed, Ellison who will see time at the 3 now, Williams and AliallIdoismissthreesovich. In other words if he could play at all he would be playing. Again not every recruit we bring in will be good or deserve time. All programs have projects and roster fillers. The problem is some of you don't understand that RF is one of those and nowhere near a difference maker.

You seem to be the one who doesn't understand what position he plays or what his strengths are. He doesn't play the same position as Yakwe, Owens or Williams. He is a tall wing with very good skills. He has a good handle and a good shot. Did you watch him come in cold off the bench and sink hist first 3 attempt last game? Clearly you did not. He barely shoots or drives to the rim because he always looks to defer to other players who are much less skilled than him.  The probably is he's not being used properly and hasn't played a lot of minutes but it seems like Mullin is trying to get him more burn now.

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2016, 03:26:20 PM »

You seem to be the one who doesn't understand what position he plays or what his strengths are. He doesn't play the same position as Yakwe, Owens or Williams. He is a tall wing with very good skills. He has a good handle and a good shot. Did you watch him come in cold off the bench and sink hist first 3 attempt last game? Clearly you did not. He barely shoots or drives to the rim because he always looks to defer to other players who are much less skilled than him.  The probably is he's not being used properly and hasn't played a lot of minutes but it seems like Mullin is trying to get him more burn now.

He is a three or a "stretch 4" supposedly. All those guys play one of those positions he can supposedly play. Our front court stinks. If he could play at all he would. Mullin is trying to play anyone who could do anything up front. Hell he just dusted off Williams who played his way ahead of RF. This is nothing personal. He looks like Zack Morris and I loved Saved by the Bell. Some kids are recruited to be projects or roster filler. He will be one of those. My point is to people that keep claiming he is some kind of answer. If he is I just don't understand the question.

Johnny23

« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2016, 03:33:30 PM »

He is a three or a "stretch 4" supposedly. All those guys play one of those positions he can supposedly play. Our front court stinks. If he could play at all he would. Mullin is trying to play anyone who could do anything up front. Hell he just dusted off Williams who played his way ahead of RF. This is nothing personal. He looks like Zack Morris and I loved Saved by the Bell. Some kids are recruited to be projects or roster filler. He will be one of those. My point is to people that keep claiming he is some kind of answer. If he is I just don't understand the question.

Yakwe could never play the 3. He has some of the worst hands and ball handling skills in Division 1. Owens is a true post player albeit skinny. Williams looks light years ahead of Yakwe all around and he's only played 1 real game so that's an indictment on Yakwe more than anything. Also no one is saying that Mullin has been masterful with his lineup adjustments (he's been far from it) but he seems to be getting a little better as the season goes on. I think if you watch Freud get more minutes and more comfortable with the ball in his hands he may surprise you. He is much more skilled offensively than Yakwe or Owens and you can see that by just watching him for a few minutes. I think you may be shortchanging his ability a bit but he needs at least one full season before any kind of report card can be given on him. He also needs enough PT where a fair assessment can be made. We will see.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 03:34:39 PM by Johnny23 »

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2016, 03:38:27 PM »
I think we should give Freudenberg big minutes. Let's see what we got.

« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2016, 03:46:34 PM »

Yakwe could never play the 3. He has some of the worst hands and ball handling skills in Division 1. Owens is a true post player albeit skinny. Williams looks light years ahead of Yakwe all around and he's only played 1 real game so that's an indictment on Yakwe more than anything. Also no one is saying that Mullin has been masterful with his lineup adjustments (he's been far from it) but he seems to be getting a little better as the season goes on. I think if you watch Freud get more minutes and more comfortable with the ball in his hands he may surprise you. He is much more skilled offensively than Yakwe or Owens and you can see that by just watching him for a few minutes. I think you may be shortchanging his ability a bit but he needs at least one full season before any kind of report card can be given on him. He also needs enough PT where a fair assessment can be made. We will see.

RF is a 4 or 3.
Yakwe / Owens / Ahmed / Alimissthreeovich and Williams  can play the 4 and are ahead of him at the 4
Ahmed and Ellison are ahead of him at the 3. In fact throw Mussini in there as you will probably see some midget ball, defense and rebounding be damned once Lovett comes back.   
That is like 8 guys ahead of him, none of whom outside of maybe Ahmed are any good.

Listen I give Mussini a hard time, but if he is open and has time I expect his shot to go in. His deficiencies are  mostly things he can blame on his parents.
Freud has those same family issues with his athletics but at least has size. The problem is his jumper takes too long is is a line drive. He actually almost winds up before he shoots. I am just not seeing the things some of you claim with him. Or any really.

TONYD3

« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2016, 04:12:49 PM »
What position does fredenburg play? He is not physical or quick? He plays like a 3 who won't be able to guard other teams 3's. Not trying to bash this kid. But he is not helping us this year. How much faster and quicker is he going to get ?