Mid-year transfers?

• 296 replies

Johnny23

Re: Mid-year transfers?
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2016, 04:17:06 PM »
Give Freud a break. The kid has barely played any minutes in his young college career and he does some good things. His skill level looks to be high but he just needs to be more confident and not look to defer so much.

+1. I believe he will be a good one, given time and playing time. Not a Hooper disappointment.

He is currently behind Yakwe, Owens, Ahmed, Ellison who will see time at the 3 now, Williams and AliallIdoismissthreesovich. In other words if he could play at all he would be playing. Again not every recruit we bring in will be good or deserve time. All programs have projects and roster fillers. The problem is some of you don't understand that RF is one of those and nowhere near a difference maker.

You seem to be the one who doesn't understand what position he plays or what his strengths are. He doesn't play the same position as Yakwe, Owens or Williams. He is a tall wing with very good skills. He has a good handle and a good shot. Did you watch him come in cold off the bench and sink hist first 3 attempt last game? Clearly you did not. He barely shoots or drives to the rim because he always looks to defer to other players who are much less skilled than him.  The probably is he's not being used properly and hasn't played a lot of minutes but it seems like Mullin is trying to get him more burn now.

He is a three or a "stretch 4" supposedly. All those guys play one of those positions he can supposedly play. Our front court stinks. If he could play at all he would. Mullin is trying to play anyone who could do anything up front. Hell he just dusted off Williams who played his way ahead of RF. This is nothing personal. He looks like Zack Morris and I loved Saved by the Bell. Some kids are recruited to be projects or roster filler. He will be one of those. My point is to people that keep claiming he is some kind of answer. If he is I just don't understand the question.

Yakwe could never play the 3. He has some of the worst hands and ball handling skills in Division 1. Owens is a true post player albeit skinny. Williams looks light years ahead of Yakwe all around and he's only played 1 real game so that's an indictment on Yakwe more than anything. Also no one is saying that Mullin has been masterful with his lineup adjustments (he's been far from it) but he seems to be getting a little better as the season goes on. I think if you watch Freud get more minutes and more comfortable with the ball in his hands he may surprise you. He is much more skilled offensively than Yakwe or Owens and you can see that by just watching him for a few minutes. I think you may be shortchanging his ability a bit but he needs at least one full season before any kind of report card can be given on him. He also needs enough PT where a fair assessment can be made. We will see.

RF is a 4 or 3.
Yakwe / Owens / Ahmed / Alimissthreeovich and Williams  can play the 4 and are ahead of him at the 4
Ahmed and Ellison are ahead of him at the 3. In fact throw Mussini in there as you will probably see some midget ball, defense and rebounding be damned once Lovett comes back.   
That is like 8 guys ahead of him, none of whom outside of maybe Ahmed are any good.

Listen I give Mussini a hard time, but if he is open and has time I expect his shot to go in. His deficiencies are  mostly things he can blame on his parents.
Freud has those same family issues with his athletics but at least has size. The problem is his jumper takes too long is is a line drive. He actually almost winds up before he shoots. I am just not seeing the things some of you claim with him. Or any really.

There is such a numerous list of "athletically deficient" players and teams at the D1 level who have schooled much more athletic players and teams through the course of college hoops history. We see it in March Madness almost every year. We agree to disagree on this one. Hey the beauty of it is we will see how Freud plays out over the next year and beyond.

« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2016, 04:23:31 PM »
Give Freud a break. The kid has barely played any minutes in his young college career and he does some good things. His skill level looks to be high but he just needs to be more confident and not look to defer so much.

+1. I believe he will be a good one, given time and playing time. Not a Hooper disappointment.

He is currently behind Yakwe, Owens, Ahmed, Ellison who will see time at the 3 now, Williams and AliallIdoismissthreesovich. In other words if he could play at all he would be playing. Again not every recruit we bring in will be good or deserve time. All programs have projects and roster fillers. The problem is some of you don't understand that RF is one of those and nowhere near a difference maker.

You seem to be the one who doesn't understand what position he plays or what his strengths are. He doesn't play the same position as Yakwe, Owens or Williams. He is a tall wing with very good skills. He has a good handle and a good shot. Did you watch him come in cold off the bench and sink hist first 3 attempt last game? Clearly you did not. He barely shoots or drives to the rim because he always looks to defer to other players who are much less skilled than him.  The probably is he's not being used properly and hasn't played a lot of minutes but it seems like Mullin is trying to get him more burn now.

He is a three or a "stretch 4" supposedly. All those guys play one of those positions he can supposedly play. Our front court stinks. If he could play at all he would. Mullin is trying to play anyone who could do anything up front. Hell he just dusted off Williams who played his way ahead of RF. This is nothing personal. He looks like Zack Morris and I loved Saved by the Bell. Some kids are recruited to be projects or roster filler. He will be one of those. My point is to people that keep claiming he is some kind of answer. If he is I just don't understand the question.

Yakwe could never play the 3. He has some of the worst hands and ball handling skills in Division 1. Owens is a true post player albeit skinny. Williams looks light years ahead of Yakwe all around and he's only played 1 real game so that's an indictment on Yakwe more than anything. Also no one is saying that Mullin has been masterful with his lineup adjustments (he's been far from it) but he seems to be getting a little better as the season goes on. I think if you watch Freud get more minutes and more comfortable with the ball in his hands he may surprise you. He is much more skilled offensively than Yakwe or Owens and you can see that by just watching him for a few minutes. I think you may be shortchanging his ability a bit but he needs at least one full season before any kind of report card can be given on him. He also needs enough PT where a fair assessment can be made. We will see.

RF is a 4 or 3.
Yakwe / Owens / Ahmed / Alimissthreeovich and Williams  can play the 4 and are ahead of him at the 4
Ahmed and Ellison are ahead of him at the 3. In fact throw Mussini in there as you will probably see some midget ball, defense and rebounding be damned once Lovett comes back.   
That is like 8 guys ahead of him, none of whom outside of maybe Ahmed are any good.

Listen I give Mussini a hard time, but if he is open and has time I expect his shot to go in. His deficiencies are  mostly things he can blame on his parents.
Freud has those same family issues with his athletics but at least has size. The problem is his jumper takes too long is is a line drive. He actually almost winds up before he shoots. I am just not seeing the things some of you claim with him. Or any really.

There is such a numerous list of "athletically deficient" players and teams at the D1 level who have schooled much more athletic players and teams through the course of college hoops history. We see it in March Madness almost every year. We agree to disagree on this one. Hey the beauty of it is we will see how Freud plays out over the next year and beyond.

Didn't see David Cain coming....but who did?
If RF becomes a rotation player on a good team, he will surpass Cain as the biggest pleasant surprise for me since I have been following the program.

Marillac

« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2016, 04:53:15 PM »

Anyone expecting more from him by this point was not being reasonable.  I'm bullish on him to end the season and I think he'll look like a different player next season. 

His shot is weird and he has no lateral movement. If he had a nice shot but questionable athleticism it might work out but would take awhile.  With a weird looking shot and below average athletic ability, what exactly are we looking at?

I don't see the below average athletic ability you describe.  Let's not forget this kid just turned 18 and is a true 6'9 with great length.  I am just ecstatic that he doesn't fall over while running and isn't a hacking machine like AA and Darien Williams at this stage.

Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk, from Kansas is a good comparison.  He had a rough first season (2.8 pts and 1.8 boards on just 28% 3 pt shooting), but now he's averaging 10 ppg with excellent shooting %s for the #3 team in the country.  I still believe we'll see RF declare for the NBA before his senior year. He just needs a little more time to catch up to the American game and 15-20 pounds to give him the ability be a menace to smaller players.  He's going to be trouble in the pick-and-roll when that happens.

As for his shot, he's rushing it right now.  He's a feel player, but we're asking him to come in cold and be a jump shooter.  That's not his game. 

« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2016, 06:12:33 PM »

Anyone expecting more from him by this point was not being reasonable.  I'm bullish on him to end the season and I think he'll look like a different player next season. 

His shot is weird and he has no lateral movement. If he had a nice shot but questionable athleticism it might work out but would take awhile.  With a weird looking shot and below average athletic ability, what exactly are we looking at?

I don't see the below average athletic ability you describe.  Let's not forget this kid just turned 18 and is a true 6'9 with great length.  I am just ecstatic that he doesn't fall over while running and isn't a hacking machine like AA and Darien Williams at this stage.

Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk, from Kansas is a good comparison.  He had a rough first season (2.8 pts and 1.8 boards on just 28% 3 pt shooting), but now he's averaging 10 ppg with excellent shooting %s for the #3 team in the country.  I still believe we'll see RF declare for the NBA before his senior year. He just needs a little more time to catch up to the American game and 15-20 pounds to give him the ability be a menace to smaller players.  He's going to be trouble in the pick-and-roll when that happens.

As for his shot, he's rushing it right now.  He's a feel player, but we're asking him to come in cold and be a jump shooter.  That's not his game. 

totally agree, I dont see this like others do here. If i remember correctly we had many former players who were solid rotational players in jr and sr year who struggled at first. Hes 18 going up against 21-22 year olds sometimes. Thats a HUGE body difference especially playing in the front court. Give him time and he will be fine. Not only that he has very good fundamentals on box outs and plays D .

« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2016, 08:04:59 PM »

He can't get on the court for us as a front court guy and he is going to declare for the NBA? Wow.
I think this will be the thing you regret most saying in your life. Which is saying something considering I once heard you say hey lets do body shots off of Baldi

Marillac

« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2016, 08:30:32 PM »

He can't get on the court for us as a front court guy and he is going to declare for the NBA? Wow.
I think this will be the thing you regret most saying in your life. Which is saying something considering I once heard you say hey lets do body shots off of Baldi

Hahaha I didn't have to twist your arm on those body shots, though. Besides, this statement doesn't have a Mussini chance in a dunk contest to break my top 100 most regrettable comments. 

Fast forward a decade and you'll be lambasting some poster for having the nerve to compare another freshman to the great Freudenberg of the Utah Jazz. 

« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2016, 12:07:28 PM »
Per Braziller

Hearing St John's will pursue USF transfer guard Jahmal mcmurray #sjubb

I like this kid...But we definitely don't need another 6 foot guard.

« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2016, 12:08:15 PM »
Per Braziller

Maybe we do

« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2016, 12:11:27 PM »
Per Braziller

Maybe we do
Who do you think leaves?

« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2016, 12:19:29 PM »
Per Braziller

Maybe we do
Who do you think leaves?

Don't know yet, but someone almost always does. At every program

« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2016, 12:36:47 PM »
If one of the two guys leave that would be the Death Blow for Mullin as far as expecting or hoping he can turn things around.

« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2016, 12:50:59 PM »
Lovett, Ponds,Mussini and Ellison. My opinion fwiw, I think 2 of the 4 leave
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 12:51:16 PM by Marco Baldi »

« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2016, 12:52:00 PM »

If it is the last two, cool

« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2016, 12:53:41 PM »

What's your gut telling you? Besides White Castle
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 12:53:58 PM by Marco Baldi »

« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2016, 12:56:21 PM »

Obviously I hope it's not Lovett or Ponds.

I know I'm in the minority but I don't mind Ellison.  He's improved offensively and he's not 6'0 170lbs...so he fills a void in the back court.

I love what Mussini brings offensively, but he is terrible on defense.

If one were to leave, I would say Mussini. 
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 12:57:10 PM by upstate32 »

« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2016, 01:20:27 PM »

What's your gut telling you? Besides White Castle

I miss White Castle
If one of those guys leaves it is over. He has to do whatever it takes to keep those two and Yakwe.

TONYD3

« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2016, 01:28:30 PM »
Lovett already sat a year. Where is he going? Ponds is having a great freshman season. I don't believe he is miserable. No one wants to sit.
We have simon coming in. Either mussini or Ellison could leave. Now that we are playing in the big boy part of the schedule mussini will play less. Maybe he goes.

Wods317

« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2016, 01:39:21 PM »
Lovett already sat a year. Where is he going? Ponds is having a great freshman season. I don't believe he is miserable. No one wants to sit.
We have simon coming in. Either mussini or Ellison could leave. Now that we are playing in the big boy part of the schedule mussini will play less. Maybe he goes.

Have to agree. Lovett I guess could transfer but sitting out again would be rough. He did consider transferring last year and went to like 3 high schools I think so you never know. Ponds is the one guy I just don't believe would go anywhere. He is the hometown kid and basically has free reign to do what he wants on the court. Ellison or Mussini are possible. Ellison might see the writing on the wall with Simon next year taking away more minutes.

QuanMan

« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2016, 01:46:09 PM »
If it were that obvious that a underclassman was transferring at this point in the season, why didn't he leave with Sima? His transfer opened up a 2017 scholarship, which can very likely be Derrick Walker, that puts a glut at PF (Yakwe/Clark/Walker). Tariq and ZB will easily split the Center minutes. So for the most part the frontcourt is finished. Add in the ability to put Bash or Rich at the 4 in smaller lineups. That has me thinking it's very likely Amar or Darien's scholarship for another guard to come in like this SFla. transfer.
Section 3
Section 116

Foad

« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2016, 02:00:04 PM »
If it were that obvious that a underclassman was transferring at this point in the season, why didn't he leave with Sima? His transfer opened up a 2017 scholarship, which can very likely be Derrick Walker, that puts a glut at PF (Yakwe/Clark/Walker). Tariq and ZB will easily split the Center minutes. So for the most part the frontcourt is finished. Add in the ability to put Bash or Rich at the 4 in smaller lineups. That has me thinking it's very likely Amar or Darien's scholarship for another guard to come in like this SFla. transfer.

Williams is a senior. Fire Extinguisher boy probably get asked to leave or they let him walk on. Missini should leave because he's not good enough to play even for Saint John's. The rest of them have no reason to. If Lovett transferred he'd be a 22 year old sophomore who's played one year out of the past three. I suppose he could go to Europe. Ponds is likely BE freshman of the year, does he want to sit a year coming off that? Ellison can play 20 minutes in the BE or 25 minutes in the MAAC.

I might believe this you can't even call it  rumor, if perhaps someone over heard Tony Chiles talking about it in a bar in Valley Stream while he was out day drinking. But he's in the French Quarter.