Mid-year transfers?

• 296 replies

Poison

Re: Mid-year transfers?
« Reply #80 on: December 22, 2016, 09:46:20 AM »
Amar and Darien create two more scholarships in addition to Sima. Why is everyone flipping out? Amar is a goner.

I know everyone is so quick to dismiss Amar but I like him. Look at him vs RF right now.

Physical maturity helps. Amar as senior would be better than most freshman.

I just don't like the use of most of our lineups, players. This team should be much better.

I want Amar on the court when he learns to play from the neck up. The game is too fast for him right now. He's a junior and he thinks like a freshman. More than Freudenberg does and Freudenberg is improving. I think Amar is getting less minutes now. If I were coaching, I'd tell Amar we need you to board. We need you to think about boxing out. Cut the shit with popping out for a 3. We do not need Amar Alibegovic to take another 3 pointer. Ever.

- Put a body on an opposing player and box him out
- Grab the damn rebound
- Give the ball to a guard

That's it. Just give us that. We don't want him to even try to score.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 12:04:23 PM by Poison »

« Reply #81 on: December 22, 2016, 10:07:10 AM »
I I thought you meant Ahmad.
Amar might be better than German Fred Lyson but then again who cares, he stinks too

No, he was talking about Amar, who's averaging 2 points and 2 rebounds a game and shooting 33 percent from the floor, 18 percent from three and 40 percent from the free throw line. Much rather have the German, at least he can spell rebound.

Agree about Ahmed, many JUCOs get much better year two: Scott, Hardy, Brownlee etc.

All I'm saying is that Amar has some value. He can stretch a D, pick and pop, plays with energy, and you can use some experience for 1 more year.

This doesn't mean he plays 15 min a night but maybe it's 8. Maybe it's 8 every other game but I'd take experience and roll the dice on 2018 class instead of jettisoning and picking up 2017 scraps.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #82 on: December 22, 2016, 10:11:47 AM »
I personally would like to see RF and Williams eat up Amar's minutes. However do understand why Amar has played as much as he has.  Both RF and DW needed time to give meaningful minutes.  One coming off an injury and the other is a true frosh. 

Lets just run, run, run the rest of season and let the chips fall where they may with Williams and RF playing the PF.  Both can get out on the break much better and RF is 10x the shooter that Amar is, no matter what the stats say.

« Reply #83 on: December 22, 2016, 10:15:10 AM »
Amar might be better than German Fred Lyson but then again who cares, he stinks too

No, he was talking about Amar, who's averaging 2 points and 2 rebounds a game and shooting 33 percent from the floor, 18 percent from three and 40 percent from the free throw line. Much rather have the German, at least he can spell rebound.

Agree about Ahmed, many JUCOs get much better year two: Scott, Hardy, Brownlee etc.

Yeah that was Dave's fault. I won't even slightly blame myself for not reading carefully. Only a crazy person would compliment Amar. Never thought anyone would do that let alone Dave. He should immediately suspend himself for posting and take a drug test.

Maybe it's the coach in me. I think Amar's strengths maximized and his weakness minimized make him a serviceable player. I still hope he turns into a 4 and 2 player in 8-10 min. There is value to that.

Plays like a maniac for 4 min stretch maybe from 12 min to 8 min media timeout. Jacks up 1-2 shots preferably from 3 and hope he nails one. Then yank him before that energy dips.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2016, 10:21:14 AM »

Yeah that was Dave's fault. I won't even slightly blame myself for not reading carefully. Only a crazy person would compliment Amar. Never thought anyone would do that let alone Dave. He should immediately suspend himself for posting and take a drug test.

Maybe it's the coach in me. I think Amar's strengths maximized and his weakness minimized make him a serviceable player. I still hope he turns into a 4 and 2 player in 8-10 min. There is value to that.

Plays like a maniac for 4 min stretch maybe from 12 min to 8 min media timeout. Jacks up 1-2 shots preferably from 3 and hope he nails one. Then yank him before that energy dips.

Is a perfectly fine 12th man. Good bench guy and roots for his teammates. Plays in an emergency or we are getting killed. There is nothing wrong with that. Asking him to do more is asking for trouble.

« Reply #85 on: December 22, 2016, 10:28:20 AM »

Is a perfectly fine 12th man. Good bench guy and roots for his teammates. Plays in an emergency or we are getting killed. There is nothing wrong with that. Asking him to do more is asking for trouble.
Even if we have another transfer out, he's no more than our 10th man next year.

Marillac

« Reply #86 on: December 22, 2016, 10:44:39 AM »
There is nothing wrong with a guy like AA at the bottom
of the roster. The problem is we don't have legit guys at
the third, fourth, and fifth slots on the roster and our top two are freshmen.

ras

« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2016, 11:20:30 AM »
Amar and Darien create two more scholarships in addition to Sima. Why is everyone flipping out? Amar is a goner.

I know everyone is so quick to dismiss Amar but I like him. Look at him vs RF right now.

I just don't like the use of most of our lineups, players. This team should be much better.

I can see him having a really good Senior year. Sort of like James Scott situation. Right now he is really frustrating to watch.

Did you just compare Alibewith to James Scott, the one who played in the NBA? If Amar had a Donald Emanuel Kyle Cuffe senior year we should make a novena.

Yeah thought Dave meant Bashir. Not sure why Dave was complimenting Aliallidoismissthreesovich.  He is awful. I guess compared to Der Kommissar he is ok but that is like comparing horse and dog shit

I can't believe the way you write about amateur student athletes.  Come on.  You're better than that.   

Amar is not a good Major College basketball player. What are you supposed to say about him. Seems like a nice kid and it is not his fault he was put into a situation where he is forced to play. But he is still not good. Amateur athlete thing is phooey. How much is a college education at ST John's now a days? Heck I hit 185 or something in college. I felt like I stole my ride. If there was a forum for my college baseball team and someone said I stunk I would have hit that Thank You button than Redmen.com has. Then I would have went back to my dorm room had a beer toasted my free ride then gotten laid with my faithful pickup line" Hi I am on the baseball team." ;) I am sure Amar and RF are fine even if people like us say they stink on some forum.
The thing that puzzles me is he has a big body. Would love to see someone w that size block out, rebound and have an inside game. Thats what we need and its not Amars game. Freud is also 6 9 , is a better shooter and improving, gaining exp. and loosing the jitters.

TONYD3

« Reply #88 on: December 22, 2016, 11:46:41 AM »
Amar on the team hurts us. 12th guy should have a role. 3rd center 3rd PG. let him wave a towel don't let him play.

« Reply #89 on: December 22, 2016, 12:24:04 PM »

All I'm saying is that Amar has some value. He can stretch a D, pick and pop, plays with energy, and you can use some experience for 1 more year.

He can not stretch a D. There is a reason he takes wide open 3s, no one covers him out there cause they are happy to see him take that shot then they just hope they aren't hit with shards of glass when he shatters the glass on yet another widely off shot.

Foad

« Reply #90 on: December 22, 2016, 01:01:08 PM »
He can not stretch a D.

My first wife could stretch a D. I miss her.

« Reply #91 on: December 22, 2016, 01:37:00 PM »
He can not stretch a D.

Good one. More posts like this and we might actually become good friends (better than we are already).  :crazy2:

« Reply #92 on: December 23, 2016, 01:39:40 AM »

I can see him having a really good Senior year. Sort of like James Scott situation. Right now he is really frustrating to watch.

Did you just compare Alibewith to James Scott, the one who played in the NBA? If Amar had a Donald Emanuel Kyle Cuffe senior year we should make a novena.

Yeah thought Dave meant Bashir. Not sure why Dave was complimenting Aliallidoismissthreesovich.  He is awful. I guess compared to Der Kommissar he is ok but that is like comparing horse and dog shit

I can't believe the way you write about amateur student athletes.  Come on.  You're better than that.   

Amar is not a good Major College basketball player. What are you supposed to say about him. Seems like a nice kid and it is not his fault he was put into a situation where he is forced to play. But he is still not good. Amateur athlete thing is phooey. How much is a college education at ST John's now a days? Heck I hit 185 or something in college. I felt like I stole my ride. If there was a forum for my college baseball team and someone said I stunk I would have hit that Thank You button than Redmen.com has. Then I would have went back to my dorm room had a beer toasted my free ride then gotten laid with my faithful pickup line" Hi I am on the baseball team." ;) I am sure Amar and RF are fine even if people like us say they stink on some forum.

You do what you want but you're comparing 20 year old unpaid student athletes that are trying their best to excrement.  I on the other hand have had nary a negative word to say about any of our players since Ricky Torres.  Who do you think is getting to heaven faster?

« Reply #93 on: December 23, 2016, 09:11:51 AM »

You do what you want but you're comparing 20 year old unpaid student athletes that are trying their best to excrement.  I on the other hand have had nary a negative word to say about any of our players since Ricky Torres.  Who do you think is getting to heaven faster?

I think when you Baldi, Tha Kid and Marillac where doing those body shots off one another and trying to molest young Dave might give you a problem with the Big Guy upstairs. I am sailing in.

« Reply #94 on: December 23, 2016, 09:22:48 AM »

I think when you Baldi, Tha Kid and Marillac where doing those body shots off one another and trying to molest young Dave might give you a problem with the Big Guy upstairs. I am sailing in.

Valid point.

« Reply #95 on: December 23, 2016, 09:29:59 AM »

Valid point.

And again was a joke anyway. Merry Christmas!

QuanMan

« Reply #96 on: December 23, 2016, 10:30:32 AM »
With Sima's transfer and Darien graduating, don't we have room for a additional scholarship in addition to ZB? I understand the transfer talk bc of the abundance of guards, but why speculate when we already have the available scholarship to fill?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 10:50:03 AM by QuanMan »
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #97 on: December 23, 2016, 11:36:16 AM »

Valid point.

And again was a joke anyway. Merry Christmas!

And a very merry to you and yours as well my friend.

« Reply #98 on: December 23, 2016, 01:08:19 PM »
He can not stretch a D.

Her shot was called the kegel.

goredmen

« Reply #99 on: December 23, 2016, 02:00:49 PM »
Jeff Borzello ‏@jeffborzello  48s48 seconds ago
South Florida transfer Jahmal McMurray listed St. John's, Arizona State, Virginia Tech, Texas, New Mexico St., Western Kentucky, UNCW.

McMurray is a nice player that can score but turns the ball over a ton. Really doesn't make much sense for him or us unless one or two of our main guards are leaving. Can't see Lovett or Ponds leaving after this year and obviously Simon isn't going anywhere so don't really get why we'd be pursuing McMurray and why he'd be interested. Makes me uneasy