Mid-year transfers?

• 296 replies

Marillac

Re: Mid-year transfers?
« Reply #100 on: December 23, 2016, 03:17:32 PM »
Jeff Borzello ‏@jeffborzello  48s48 seconds ago
South Florida transfer Jahmal McMurray listed St. John's, Arizona State, Virginia Tech, Texas, New Mexico St., Western Kentucky, UNCW.

McMurray is a nice player that can score but turns the ball over a ton. Really doesn't make much sense for him or us unless one or two of our main guards are leaving. Can't see Lovett or Ponds leaving after this year and obviously Simon isn't going anywhere so don't really get why we'd be pursuing McMurray and why he'd be interested. Makes me uneasy

He played with Marvin Clark in AAU. His turnovers really aren't so bad (2.6 per game for his young career). His defensive stats are a little more worrisome.

ras

« Reply #101 on: December 23, 2016, 04:55:14 PM »
Jeff Borzello ‏@jeffborzello  48s48 seconds ago
South Florida transfer Jahmal McMurray listed St. John's, Arizona State, Virginia Tech, Texas, New Mexico St., Western Kentucky, UNCW.

McMurray is a nice player that can score but turns the ball over a ton. Really doesn't make much sense for him or us unless one or two of our main guards are leaving. Can't see Lovett or Ponds leaving after this year and obviously Simon isn't going anywhere so don't really get why we'd be pursuing McMurray and why he'd be interested. Makes me uneasy

He played with Marvin Clark in AAU. His turnovers really aren't so bad (2.6 per game for his young career). His defensive stats are a little more worrisome.
W our current guards there seems no need for him. What's worrisome is if we are considering him , makes one think somebody else might be leaving the program. W zacks uncertainty, would rather see a big bruiser.

desco80

« Reply #102 on: December 24, 2016, 09:42:44 AM »
If he's coming it means the staff is concerned about somebody leaving.    That seems clear.

Don't want to see Lovett leave, but life will go on either way.   

And some may call me crazy, but I see Simon starting at PG next season.   He has the size, and was a top 20 or 30 recruit coming out of HS.   He didn't transfer "down" from Arizona to be a 3rd guard or 6th man.

TONYD3

« Reply #103 on: December 24, 2016, 10:17:45 AM »
If he's coming it means the staff is concerned about somebody leaving.    That seems clear.

And some may call me crazy, but I see Simon starting at PG next season.   He has the size, and was a top 20 or 30 recruit coming out of HS.   He didn't transfer "down" from Arizona to be a 3rd guard or 6th man.
Never saw Simon play. Think he plays 30 a game. Just like I said ponds and Lovett would play 30 a game this season .

Foad

« Reply #104 on: December 24, 2016, 10:40:23 AM »

Arrivederci by subtraction. #DamnThatWasAGoodOne
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 10:40:59 AM by Foad »

ras

« Reply #105 on: December 24, 2016, 10:42:16 AM »

Never saw Simon play. Think he plays 30 a game. Just like I said ponds and Lovett would play 30 a game this season .
Can't see Lovett transferring , sitting out , loosing a year at his age. The only thing that makes sense is if thinks he is too small for the NBA  and leaves to make money in Europe. Would hate to see it, though.  School isn't for everybody.Does anyone the specifics of the rumor that Lovett was thinking of transferring last year?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 10:47:25 AM by ras »

TONYD3

« Reply #106 on: December 24, 2016, 10:52:54 AM »
I can't see how any guard on this team could be unhappy. They have all has success. They are all allowed to do anything they want on the court.

QuanMan

« Reply #107 on: December 24, 2016, 12:12:35 PM »
Guys, the Sima transfer gave us a additional 2017 scholarship. If another player were to transfer, we would have to fill a additional scholarship in addition to the one we already have! Why speculate about kids who are proudly wearing the jersey and battling for this team through March when we already need to fill this newly opened scholarship to begin with?

2017 Backcourt-

PG- Marcus, Simon, ________
SG- Shamorie, Malik, Moose
SF- Bash, Rich

Seems pretty stacked and evenly distributed if you ask me.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 01:17:48 PM by QuanMan »
Section 3
Section 116

desco80

« Reply #108 on: December 24, 2016, 04:48:15 PM »
Guys, the Sima transfer gave us a additional 2017 scholarship. If another player were to transfer, we would have to fill a additional scholarship in addition to the one we already have! Why speculate about kids who are proudly wearing the jersey and battling for this team through March when we already need to fill this newly opened scholarship to begin with?

2017 Backcourt-

SF- Bash, Rich

I understand what you're saying, but the staff is out openly recruiting a starting pg.  That's a pretty clear indication something is brewing.

I agree that sometimes the fan base has a wild imagination.  But in this case, we're just discussing what's been put in front of our faces.

« Reply #109 on: December 25, 2016, 09:40:24 AM »
Doesn't the kid from South Florida have to sit out a year maybe they are preparing for the following year just in case Ponds or Marcus decide to go pro.

And they feel this kid is better than any kid there are recruiting for 2018

« Reply #110 on: December 25, 2016, 10:34:46 AM »
Doesn't the kid from South Florida have to sit out a year maybe they are preparing for the following year just in case Ponds or Marcus decide to go pro.

And they feel this kid is better than any kid there are recruiting for 2018

Would play second half of next year as a junior and then finish up as a senior the year after.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 10:35:14 AM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #111 on: December 25, 2016, 11:09:00 AM »
Don't know much about him but not too keen on the fact he was given a six game suspenion for undisclosed violation.

cjfish

« Reply #112 on: December 25, 2016, 12:01:40 PM »

We are already a team that looks good going small and pressing.  The Guards, particularly Ponds, rebound well which makes going small attractive.  SImon, Lovett, Ponds, Ellison and to a lesser extent Mussini gives us the depth necessary to press most of the game.  JHopefully no one transfers.....injury can happen anytime and this depth will keep 3 positions solid.

« Reply #113 on: December 25, 2016, 06:37:52 PM »

http://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/story/usf-transfer-has-virginia-tech-on-list-122416

Excerpt: Today he released the schools showing the most interest: St. John’s, Arizona State, Virginia Tech, New Mexico St, Western Kentucky and UNC Wilmington.

« Reply #114 on: December 25, 2016, 07:57:38 PM »
We need to recruit better players

Marillac

« Reply #115 on: December 25, 2016, 08:02:56 PM »

2017 Backcourt-

SF- Bash, Rich

I understand what you're saying, but the staff is out openly recruiting a starting pg.  That's a pretty clear indication something is brewing.

I agree that sometimes the fan base has a wild imagination.  But in this case, we're just discussing what's been put in front of our faces.

This kid isn't a PG nor is Simon. Every kid under 6'7 thinks they are a PG until told otherwise. I don't think recruiting a scoring combo (with ties to Clark) says anything.

goredmen

« Reply #116 on: December 25, 2016, 09:16:33 PM »

2017 Backcourt-

SF- Bash, Rich

This kid isn't a PG nor is Simon. Every kid under 6'7 thinks they are a PG until told otherwise. I don't think recruiting a scoring combo (with ties to Clark) says anything.

Jahmal McMurray is a PG

« Reply #117 on: December 25, 2016, 09:30:48 PM »
I'd hate to see Lovett leave.... hope not the case...

As for McMurray, This article says he was undersized shooter getting no D-1 interest and then persuaded tp switch to PG and USF took a chance on him

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/basketball/college/usf-bulls-freshman-jahmal-mcmurray-makes-a-point-of-staying-on-the-court/2262890
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 09:59:43 PM by RedStormNC »

Poison

« Reply #118 on: December 25, 2016, 11:07:42 PM »
I'd hate to see Lovett leave.... hope not the case...

As for McMurray, This article says he was undersized shooter getting no D-1 interest and then persuaded tp switch to PG and USF took a chance on him

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/basketball/college/usf-bulls-freshman-jahmal-mcmurray-makes-a-point-of-staying-on-the-court/2262890

What on earth makes you think LoVett would leave? He sat out last year. He's going to do it again? I don't think it's even crossed his mind.

« Reply #119 on: December 25, 2016, 11:14:43 PM »
I have no idea he will leave, and i definitely dont want to see that, but if he did, I'd see him leave for Europe/$, not another D-1 team.

Just odd SJU going after this SF guard w/ 6 game violation under his belt this season, given the HS targets we are after and the lack of size & depth for the F/C
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 11:16:12 PM by RedStormNC »