Mid-year transfers?

• 296 replies

Johnny23

Re: Mid-year transfers?
« Reply #140 on: December 26, 2016, 01:30:31 PM »
Does anyone know on good authority that one of our top 4 guards are not part of the staff's future plans or is looking to leave?

Without that, all this talk about McMurray taking someone else's spot is just mere speculation.

Wods317

« Reply #141 on: December 26, 2016, 02:27:03 PM »
The staff could think someone is leaving or they could just think this kid is that good. Obviously at this point we are not really in a position to turn away good kids. On top of that the staff seems to really be valuing transfers who they can take a year to work with before they see the court. We are in need of a big body that is clear but if that staff thinks this kid is the goods then why pass him up.

Marillac

« Reply #142 on: December 26, 2016, 02:40:48 PM »
Guys, the Sima transfer gave us a additional 2017 scholarship. If another player were to transfer, we would have to fill a additional scholarship in addition to the one we already have! Why speculate about kids who are proudly wearing the jersey and battling for this team through March when we already need to fill this newly opened scholarship to begin with?

2017 Backcourt-

PG- Marcus, Simon, ________
SG- Shamorie, Malik, Moose
SF- Bash, Rich

Seems pretty stacked and evenly distributed if you ask me.

I understand what you're saying, but the staff is out openly recruiting a starting pg.  That's a pretty clear indication something is brewing.

I agree that sometimes the fan base has a wild imagination.  But in this case, we're just discussing what's been put in front of our faces.

This kid isn't a PG nor is Simon. Every kid under 6'7 thinks they are a PG until told otherwise. I don't think recruiting a scoring combo (with ties to Clark) says anything.

Simon played PG all through hs + travel ball.

Well this isn't hs or travel ball. He played exclusively off the ball in Arizona.

Sure nor is it the NBA but he'd be a PG there too.

A lot of politics at UofA which is why he got out. Justin played for independent travel program. It was easy to burn bridge to Simon there vs other players from feeder teams.

He'll play off the ball here and on it too. Just like you see with Ellison at times. Can't wait for him to suit up.

Let's be clear, PG is the only option for him in the NBA due to his size and limited jumper. He's a 2/3 in college with the ability to run the offense here and there...just like Ellison. I don't think it's splitting hairs to not refer to either as a PG. They aren't. Ellison can't defend the position at all...I at least expect Simon to be able to do that well.  McMurray by all accounts is, at best, a combo guard. I'd assume him coming on board would affect Mussini the most since they are both undersized volume shooters.

I don't read anything into his recruitment.  I think Mullin just wants a solid 1-3 and is willing to roll out three guards to get it done. McMurray could be instant offense off the bench that can play a few positions. We are a mediocre team, so talent at any position will be welcome.

But McMurray wouldn't leave USF, a place where he'd be guaranteed to play as many minutes as he possibly could and have a constant green light to shoot to come to a place where he'd be competing for minutes and shots with 5 other guys. The fact he's considering us makes me believe he's been told that not all 5 guys will be here by the time he's ready to suit up

He's leaving USF because he thinks he's too good for the school and his recent suspension was the final nail in the coffin. He flirted with entering the draft after his freshman year so he's obviously not afraid of getting playing time on a team that is below .500.  I'm sure Marvin Clark gave him a fair assessment of his competition and our lack of defense.

He sounds like a pain in the ass for a school like USF, but kids like these lose a ton of leverage transferring to bigger schools.

« Reply #143 on: December 26, 2016, 02:43:16 PM »
Would rather save the Scholly, do t need someone else's problem

« Reply #144 on: December 26, 2016, 02:45:47 PM »
Would rather save the Scholly, do t need someone else's problem

I agree.

« Reply #145 on: December 26, 2016, 03:09:47 PM »
My question is if they think somebody leaving how come they didn't try harder with Duval

Wods317

« Reply #146 on: December 26, 2016, 03:18:23 PM »
My question is if they think somebody leaving how come they didn't try harder with Duval

Duval is a top 10 player nationally. Who says they didn't try hard? It's extremely tough to recruit a top 10 player to a school that won a single conference game, not about effort
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 03:19:04 PM by Wods317 »

« Reply #147 on: December 26, 2016, 03:20:32 PM »

Tweet Matt and ask

« Reply #148 on: December 26, 2016, 03:29:06 PM »
Yeah I will text him and tell what a phony two face you are

Maybe they thought he was going to Iona like Brodie did.
Why would this guy chose Seton Hall over the greatest team in the metro area I guess Iona didn't want to pay this guy

MCNPA

« Reply #149 on: December 26, 2016, 03:30:22 PM »
McMurray looks quite talented, with lots of big schools after him. Yes we need bigs, but it all depends on the options out there.  I have no problem having another talented scoring guard.  College basketball is guard-centric.  As far as simon goes, I'd generally categorize he and Ellison as wings.  I'm sure Simon can play pg, but I'd assume he would be most valuable as a wing/3rd guard on the floor. 

Could we be losing somebody ?   Sure we could.  Truth through is that right now we aren't yet good enough for it to make much of a difference unless it's Ponds, and I dont think that is the case.  I'd hate to lose either Lovett or Ponds,  but regardless it's the staff's job to keep the talent growing.   If they feel this kid is worth recruiting for whatever reason, then I'd assume he must be.  He can definitely put up lots of points in a hurry.  He tore up Tyler Ullis and scored 21 vs U.K.  McMurray is seriously talented, and I think he's probably good enough not to be passed up if we can land him.  His recruitment irrespectiv of other needs like big men.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 03:38:32 PM by MCNPA »

Foad

« Reply #150 on: December 26, 2016, 03:33:58 PM »
Does anyone know on good authority that one of our top 4 guards are not part of the staff's future plans or is looking to leave?

No. At the risk of repeating myself, only at SJU is the fact that the lead recruiter is out recruiting a sign of trouble.

goredmen

« Reply #151 on: December 26, 2016, 03:40:15 PM »
Guys, the Sima transfer gave us a additional 2017 scholarship. If another player were to transfer, we would have to fill a additional scholarship in addition to the one we already have! Why speculate about kids who are proudly wearing the jersey and battling for this team through March when we already need to fill this newly opened scholarship to begin with?

2017 Backcourt-

PG- Marcus, Simon, ________
SG- Shamorie, Malik, Moose
SF- Bash, Rich

Seems pretty stacked and evenly distributed if you ask me.

I understand what you're saying, but the staff is out openly recruiting a starting pg.  That's a pretty clear indication something is brewing.

I agree that sometimes the fan base has a wild imagination.  But in this case, we're just discussing what's been put in front of our faces.

This kid isn't a PG nor is Simon. Every kid under 6'7 thinks they are a PG until told otherwise. I don't think recruiting a scoring combo (with ties to Clark) says anything.

Simon played PG all through hs + travel ball.

Well this isn't hs or travel ball. He played exclusively off the ball in Arizona.

Sure nor is it the NBA but he'd be a PG there too.

A lot of politics at UofA which is why he got out. Justin played for independent travel program. It was easy to burn bridge to Simon there vs other players from feeder teams.

He'll play off the ball here and on it too. Just like you see with Ellison at times. Can't wait for him to suit up.

Let's be clear, PG is the only option for him in the NBA due to his size and limited jumper. He's a 2/3 in college with the ability to run the offense here and there...just like Ellison. I don't think it's splitting hairs to not refer to either as a PG. They aren't. Ellison can't defend the position at all...I at least expect Simon to be able to do that well.  McMurray by all accounts is, at best, a combo guard. I'd assume him coming on board would affect Mussini the most since they are both undersized volume shooters.

I don't read anything into his recruitment.  I think Mullin just wants a solid 1-3 and is willing to roll out three guards to get it done. McMurray could be instant offense off the bench that can play a few positions. We are a mediocre team, so talent at any position will be welcome.

But McMurray wouldn't leave USF, a place where he'd be guaranteed to play as many minutes as he possibly could and have a constant green light to shoot to come to a place where he'd be competing for minutes and shots with 5 other guys. The fact he's considering us makes me believe he's been told that not all 5 guys will be here by the time he's ready to suit up

He's leaving USF because he thinks he's too good for the school and his recent suspension was the final nail in the coffin. He flirted with entering the draft after his freshman year so he's obviously not afraid of getting playing time on a team that is below .500.  I'm sure Marvin Clark gave him a fair assessment of his competition and our lack of defense.

He sounds like a pain in the ass for a school like USF, but kids like these lose a ton of leverage transferring to bigger schools.

If he's too good for USF he's too good for us

« Reply #152 on: December 26, 2016, 03:42:34 PM »
Yeah I will text him and tell what a phony two face you are

Maybe they thought he was going to Iona like Brodie did.
Why would this guy chose Seton Hall over the greatest team in the metro area I guess Iona didn't want to pay this guy

No idea who or what you are talking about. But I don't think you should bring up who is paying who

Re: Mid
« Reply #153 on: December 26, 2016, 04:02:05 PM »
You are the same guy that calls Matt all kind of names and said that he was going to get SJU on probation with the way that he recruits

Without no proof you tried to ruin Matt reputation just because he works hard.
Maybe I heard the same rumor from the same person that you did
I just ask why they stop recruiting Duval hard and you gave the same wise ass answer like you always do
Show me proof that Matts recruiting going to get SJU in trouble

Seton Hall landed a Christmas Eve commitment from Darnell Brodie, a 6-foot-9, 250-pound Class of 2017 center from Putnam Science Academy (CT).
Brodie, a former teammate of Seton Hall forward Ismael Sanogo at Newark East Side, attended Seton Hall’s 72-61 win over Rutgers on Friday night at Prudential Center.
He also reportedly held offers from Iona, Temple, UMass, Monmouth, East Carolina and Saint Joseph’s.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 04:04:43 PM by Scheppy »

« Reply #154 on: December 26, 2016, 04:07:51 PM »
You are the same guy that calls Matt all kind of names and said that he was going to get SJU on probation with the way that he recruits

Without no proof you tried to ruin Matt reputation just because he works hard.
Maybe I heard the same rumor from the same person that you did
I just ask why they stop recruiting Duval hard and you gave the same wise ass answer like you always do
Show me proof that Matts recruiting going to get SJU in trouble

Seton Hall landed a Christmas Eve commitment from Darnell Brodie, a 6-foot-9, 250-pound Class of 2017 center from Putnam Science Academy (CT).
Brodie, a former teammate of Seton Hall forward Ismael Sanogo at Newark East Side, attended Seton Hall’s 72-61 win over Rutgers on Friday night at Prudential Center.
He also reportedly held offers from Iona, Temple, UMass, Monmouth, East Carolina and Saint Joseph’s.

The product of our recruiting efforts speaks for itself on the court and reflects in the standings. He's doing a fine job. Let's hope he can land someone off South Floridas scrap heap because another 1 of his recruits is leaving

Foad

« Reply #155 on: December 26, 2016, 04:44:45 PM »
The product of our recruiting efforts speaks for itself on the court and reflects in the standings.

Scheppy or schmoopie or whatever aside, the product of your recruiting efforts is that Iona is a second rate program slurping up the leftovers from programs like SJU, which program you pretend to be a fan of.  SJU would kick ass in the MAAC, you should hope we never make the logical move because your team would never win again, ever.

« Reply #156 on: December 26, 2016, 05:00:14 PM »
The product of our recruiting efforts speaks for itself on the court and reflects in the standings.

Scheppy or schmoopie or whatever aside, the product of your recruiting efforts is that Iona is a second rate program slurping up the leftovers from programs like SJU, which program you pretend to be a fan of.  SJU would kick ass in the MAAC, you should hope we never make the logical move because your team would never win again, ever.

Bring it on. Pretty sure no one fears St John's.

cjfish

« Reply #157 on: December 26, 2016, 05:13:53 PM »
Depth is good, injuries and transfers happen, I like having 5 competent guards

We have 3 competent guards now. Mussini hurts us more than he helps us.
You don't think butler will give mussini an open look?

He's only good against the shit teams. I hope he doesn't play on Thursday. His defense is an embarrassment.

As a spotted fourth guard he is fine.  He will get his shots because of the penetrating ability of the other 3.  With Simon coming in we will have 5 serviceable guards with 2 capable of playing some 3 within the smallball concept.  Hopefully no guard transfers. Don't need anymore guards, give a scholly to some beef. 

« Reply #158 on: December 26, 2016, 05:28:22 PM »
Depth is good, injuries and transfers happen, I like having 5 competent guards

We have 3 competent guards now. Mussini hurts us more than he helps us.
You don't think butler will give mussini an open look?

He's only good against the shit teams. I hope he doesn't play on Thursday. His defense is an embarrassment.

As a spotted fourth guard he is fine.  He will get his shots because of the penetrating ability of the other 3.  With Simon coming in we will have 5 serviceable guards with 2 capable of playing some 3 within the smallball concept.  Hopefully no guard transfers. Don't need anymore guards, give a scholly to some beef. 

Staff is preparing for 2 of the current 4 guards to be gone

« Reply #159 on: December 26, 2016, 05:57:33 PM »
They really should try to get more post men with that can score down low.

Foad or t6ad was right about Iona getting left over recruits like he use to get sloppy seconds.