Mid-year transfers?

• 296 replies
Re: Mid-year transfers?
« Reply #180 on: December 27, 2016, 10:18:41 AM »
Ponds is playing not good as a freshman but great.
Every teams in the country loses player to transfer even Kentucky once in a while.
Hopefully they can get the Walker and Brown to be eligible next year so they can have post players that can score.
Hopefully Chris and Mitch are working with Yawkee and Owens with turn around jump shots close to the basket.
Because once they get inside presence to score Ponds and Marcus can drive and to hoop and pass to these guys so they can score easy buckets.

Terrific analysis, in depth and very original. combo that with your high level grammer I have no doubt a pulitzer is sports journalism is in your near future

MCNPA

« Reply #181 on: December 27, 2016, 10:43:17 AM »
Depth is good, injuries and transfers happen, I like having 5 competent guards

We have 3 competent guards now. Mussini hurts us more than he helps us.
You don't think butler will give mussini an open look?

He's only good against the shit teams. I hope he doesn't play on Thursday. His defense is an embarrassment.

As a spotted fourth guard he is fine.  He will get his shots because of the penetrating ability of the other 3.  With Simon coming in we will have 5 serviceable guards with 2 capable of playing some 3 within the smallball concept.  Hopefully no guard transfers. Don't need anymore guards, give a scholly to some beef. 

Staff is preparing for 2 of the current 4 guards to be gone
. I'm hoping that's Mussini and Ellison then.  Not sure why either of the starters  would want to leave anyway, with tons of PT etc.  It seems illogical to be one of the starters.

1 of those 2
. Then the other has to be Lovett I'd assume,  because Ponds is local, gonna be freshman of the year, and it doesn't make any sense.  Frankly Lovett doesn't make any sense to me either as he has already sat out and has PT galore here and hasn't been playing well.  Best thing the staff can do is prepare.  Ma Murray would certainly replace a high level guard.

Poison

« Reply #182 on: December 27, 2016, 10:43:26 AM »
I don't believe you actually believe that taken literally.  Aside from the blue bloods, the good programs rely upon roster balance and a mix of solid upperclassmen with talented younger players.  If a group of freshman and sophs struggle, those kids may very well have success as juniors/seniors.  Need to give it time.

I'm preparing for your girlfriend Missini leaving by buying balloons and a party hat. What's staff doing besides recruiting someone better than him and by better than him I mean animate?

Could care less if Mussini or anyone else leaves. Everyone is replaceable on a last place team

What I'm saying is my world doesn't end if these kids choose to leave.
It's not like this is  a final 4 team.
But at this point, I'm not expecting Lovett, Ellison, Yakwe or Brown on the team next year

If LoVett leaves Mullin should fired a second later. Yakwe clearly put zero work in this summer. He's already left. We have no idea if Brown will even be eligible. The staff has gone from promising recruits to will they ever get jobs again, and if so, who would hire them?

MCNPA

« Reply #183 on: December 27, 2016, 10:52:11 AM »
I don't believe you actually believe that taken literally.  Aside from the blue bloods, the good programs rely upon roster balance and a mix of solid upperclassmen with talented younger players.  If a group of freshman and sophs struggle, those kids may very well have success as juniors/seniors.  Need to give it time.

I'm preparing for your girlfriend Missini leaving by buying balloons and a party hat. What's staff doing besides recruiting someone better than him and by better than him I mean animate?

Could care less if Mussini or anyone else leaves. Everyone is replaceable on a last place team

But at this point, I'm not expecting Lovett, Ellison, Yakwe or Brown on the team next year

If LoVett leaves Mullin should fired a second later. Yakwe clearly put zero work in this summer. He's already left. We have no idea if Brown will even be eligible. The staff has gone from promising recruits to will they ever get jobs again, and if so, who would hire them?

This is absurd.  Staffs shouldn't be subject to the whims of a recruit.  These are kids and nobody can control their stupid decisions sometimes.  This rebuild wasn't going to take one season, but good recruiting fixes much of that. 

« Reply #184 on: December 27, 2016, 11:01:19 AM »

Mussini is the logical guy being he is the worst player in the rotation. You threw in Lovett because you don't like him for reasons that I couldn't possibly fathom.

« Reply #185 on: December 27, 2016, 11:04:29 AM »

Mussini is the logical guy being he is the worst player in the rotation. You threw in Lovett because you don't like him for reasons that I couldn't possibly fathom.

Not at all. I'm not the only 1 saying Lovett is halfway out the door

« Reply #186 on: December 27, 2016, 11:10:09 AM »

Makes way more sense for Mussini to leave

« Reply #187 on: December 27, 2016, 11:17:37 AM »

Agreed. Guess now we see the staffs urgency for Murray

boo3

« Reply #188 on: December 27, 2016, 11:29:15 AM »
Gee, I kinda remember  someone predicting the next step in this process was Baldi throwing transfer rumors around....

Ding ding ding.....lol...same shit, different season...

A tedious read, once again....enjoy the BE season..
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 11:29:52 AM by boo3 »

ras

« Reply #189 on: December 27, 2016, 11:37:37 AM »
Baldi is a pot stirrer. But he posts what he hears. Much of it is correct ,even if we don't like what we hear. I said this before The S.Fl  kid isn't coming to sit on the bench, so logic would dictate 1 of our starters is contemplating leaving.

ras

« Reply #190 on: December 27, 2016, 11:41:52 AM »

I think Poison is getting a bit carried away. But I have to say, if you are right on all 4, we have big problems.

Poison

« Reply #191 on: December 27, 2016, 11:49:01 AM »

This is absurd.  Staffs shouldn't be subject to the whims of a recruit.  These are kids and nobody can control their stupid decisions sometimes.  This rebuild wasn't going to take one season, but good recruiting fixes much of that. 

Choose better people. Isn't that why Lavin was fired? Right about now the brsintrust looks pretty stupid giving the keys to Mullin. Many of Lavin's players had their their issues, but they were better than what we have now. At least they were BE players.

I don't need to wait for another recruit to get rid of Mullin. I never wanted him here in the first place. He's shown nothing that makes me believe he has any clue how to coach. If he's shown you something pray tell what specifically is it?

paultzman

« Reply #192 on: December 27, 2016, 12:00:34 PM »
Per Goodman

South Florida transfer Jahmal McMurray told ESPN he will visit St. John's Wednesday and Virginia Tech over the weekend. Also said he is considering Baylor. Averaged 20.3 points in 3 games this season.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 12:01:04 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #193 on: December 27, 2016, 12:06:25 PM »
Gee, I kinda remember  someone predicting the next step in this process was Baldi throwing transfer rumors around....

Like I said,  I'm not the only 1 hearing it. Thanks for adding to the conversation though

« Reply #194 on: December 27, 2016, 12:19:53 PM »

Like I said,  I'm not the only 1 hearing it. Thanks for adding to the conversation though

He is flaky, so maybe if rumor true he reconsiders. Would be dumb move on his part. Maybe someone should put him in touch with Rysheed Jordan.

« Reply #195 on: December 27, 2016, 12:23:07 PM »

In fairness to Bluto for a losing program, we sure do seem to lose our better players. This is part of the problem why we will never be consistently  good. When we do get building block players they never seem to stick around long enough for better players to join them.

MCNPA

« Reply #196 on: December 27, 2016, 12:36:03 PM »

In fairness to Bluto for a losing program, we sure do seem to lose our better players. This is part of the problem why we will never be consistently  good. When we do get building block players they never seem to stick around long enough for better players to join them.

I think they will but that takes some head coaching consistency.  It's why we can't be turning over coaches any more.  Mullin needs a few years to get a stable roster together, get an experienced team built and see where it goes.   Our offense has been quite good under Mullin.  Let's see where things go as this gets built.  Can't be done overnight.

TONYD3

« Reply #197 on: December 27, 2016, 12:40:42 PM »
M

I think they will but that takes some head coaching consistency.  It's why we can't be turning over coaches any more.  Mullin needs a few years to get a stable roster together, get an experienced team built and see where it goes.   Our offense has been quite good under Mullin.  Let's see where things go as this gets built.  Can't be done overnight.

MCNPA- what do you think about the defense?

MCNPA

« Reply #198 on: December 27, 2016, 12:47:40 PM »
M

MCNPA- what do you think about the defense?

Defense has been overall poor, but better recently.  We are the second youngest team in the country though so I expected some high school defense early on.  We also don't have much interior defensive ability,  but that is more about the roster.   We need a guy or two that can body up inside, which we don't have. 
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 12:50:02 PM by MCNPA »

Marillac

« Reply #199 on: December 27, 2016, 01:12:31 PM »

Agreed. Guess now we see the staffs urgency for Murray

McMurray is a SG! He was listed as such by ESPN, 247, Scout, and Rivals. He averaged 6.7 three-pt attempts per game...that's crazy. You don't replace a pure PG like Lovett (the player he is evolving into) with an undersized volume shooter.

When was the last time a guy playing big time minutes here transferreed? Obekpa and Jordan were run out and never played college ball again.  Qa'rran Calhoun? I'm probably missing someone, but the transfer game has been a net positive for us...it's the NBA draft, ineligibilities, and other stuff that have hurt us.

This roster has just three guards on it! Ponds, Lovett, and Mussini. Most teams have three point guards alone. Ellison can't defend guards....he goes under every screen. Simon is being eyed for big minutes at the three. Why in the world would looking at McMurray (Clark's friend and former teammate) say anything about someone leaving? Transfers are usually the weak or left out. There are plenty of minutes to start Lovett, Ponds, and Simon while having Moose/Ellison and McMurray coming off the bench and giving 10-15 mpg to Clark at the three. McMurray wouldn't even play the first dozen games next year and would then need 5-6 to get going.