How to fix this team?

• 105 replies
Re: How to fix this team?
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2016, 07:57:20 PM »
Recruit better Big Guys

Thought we had great recruiters?

We have great recruiter.  Singular.  The problem is there aren't that many good big guys around---and fewer who want to come to St. John's right now. 

Ok. We have a recruiter who needs to recruit better players.  So he needs to get better at his job

I really hate agreeing with Bluto and I love the two guards but you can go anywhere to get better front court guys than what we have. Just need someone to catch the damn ball, dunk it occasionally and grab 7 boards. We recruited 3 guys that can only block shots and one guy who is less athletic than my keyboard.

First recruiting class for a new staff, with limited time to recruit them.  They did a fine job considering.

Did a great job. What place we finishing in?

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2016, 08:08:29 PM »
Had Anthony Livingston on a platter.  A bigger bodied big man.

Also Zach Brown on the way.

I still think this team has more than enough talent to win now.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

desco80

« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2016, 08:21:44 PM »
I may be the exception, but I think this team needs a tweener... not necessarily a "big".    Give me a combo forward who can rebound along with dribble a bit and shoot.  That's what teams use nowadays.
There are few teams with beefy 6'10 true centers. 

If we had another Ahmed or a Dom Pointer or even a Brownlee type we'd be fine.   We need rebounding defense and some reasonable offensive skill.  I'm not all that concerned with the size package it comes in as long as we get those attributes. 

Foad

« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2016, 08:26:39 PM »
Least experienced team?  Who cares? I'm sure the Big East will take it easy on us. We had 2 sophomore bigs, a transfer, and 2 juniors. We are young?

Yes. There are two division one schools with less experience than Saint John's.

Poison

« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2016, 08:28:20 PM »

I agree. They can score the ball. That's a sure sign of talent. This is one of the best shooting teams I've ever seen at STJ but a relatively cold night means we're gonna lose because that's all we do.

They need to learn how to play defense as a team. LIU unlike CS Northridge and Fordham made wide open shots. If you don't d up you can lose to anyone.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 08:29:44 PM by Poison »

desco80

« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2016, 08:34:57 PM »
Also, and this probably can't be overstated, a healthy Lovett cures a ton of problems. 

kjd01067

« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2016, 08:41:56 PM »
I may be the exception, but I think this team needs a tweener... not necessarily a "big".    Give me a combo forward who can rebound along with dribble a bit and shoot.  That's what teams use nowadays.

If we had another Ahmed or a Dom Pointer or even a Brownlee type we'd be fine.   We need rebounding defense and some reasonable offensive skill.  I'm not all that concerned with the size package it comes in as long as we get those attributes. 

You just described Marvin Clark Jr.

« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2016, 09:33:17 PM »
PT needs to be predicated on commitment to defense. Team needs to understand that it can be a means to an end and not something standing in the way of my next shot.

desco80

« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2016, 09:54:21 PM »

You just described Marvin Clark Jr.

Then we should be I'm good shape next year. 
I'm just not interested in one dimensional players anymore.  They sound good on paper but end up hurting you on the court.   

« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2016, 11:11:46 PM »

Agree.  I never expected an NCAA Tournament bid, this season.  But, I was expecting about 17 wins, and anywhere between 6th-8th place in the Big East.  All those are still possibilities, but I doubt we get to 17 wins, and we're looking more like an 8th--if not lower--place team (I know that is where we were picked preseason).

There just doesn't seem like a plan is in place, offensively, and too much reliance on a crappy-looking man defense.

« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2016, 11:48:22 PM »
I don't think Mullin is going to listen to any of the many interesting suggestions about going zone, and pressing all game, etc. He is still trying to explain to the players that you have to keep your hands up when playing defense. Once they grasp the basics, maybe he will move on the the more complex stuff, like catching a pass that hits you right in the hands, and not leaving your feet with no plan in mind.

Poison

« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2016, 12:40:46 AM »
I don't think Mullin is going to listen to any of the many interesting suggestions about going zone, and pressing all game, etc. He is still trying to explain to the players that you have to keep your hands up when playing defense. Once they grasp the basics, maybe he will move on the the more complex stuff, like catching a pass that hits you right in the hands, and not leaving your feet with no plan in mind.

Mullin needs to find other ways to get through to his players. He may not be the most articulate guy, and that can be fine, but then find a way to show them what you want them to do. Clearly, they don't know.

SJUFAN

« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2016, 03:44:55 PM »
Didn't we think we had some good front court players?

Only the delusional.

« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2016, 07:03:13 AM »
They need a player like Kyle O'Qiunn of the Knicks - a hard nosed player that does a little bit of everything to win.

Hopefully Clark can be that player.

Poison

« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2016, 10:18:11 AM »
They need a player like Kyle O'Qiunn of the Knicks - a hard nosed player that does a little bit of everything to win.

Hopefully Clark can be that player.

We've needed a player like Kyle O'Quinn since Ty Grant injured his hand. Still, the most puzzling part of this season is that the tough, incredibly athletic and relentless power forward was the one thing we thought we had. I didn't expect Yakwe to have the savvy playground big man skills that Grant brought to the table, but he looks like he just started playing basketball for the first time in November.

Johnny23

« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2016, 11:07:17 AM »
I think Clark can be an improvement in our front court but that won't be enough. We'll definitely need a healthy, in shape Zach Brown if we want to compete in the BE.

« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2016, 10:36:23 AM »
I think Clark can be an improvement in our front court but that won't be enough. We'll definitely need a healthy, in shape Zach Brown if we want to compete in the BE.

Just think we need guys to play better defense and take care of the basketball. String together more consecutive solid possessions and stops.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

derk

« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2016, 11:21:20 AM »

Can't remember but why did we lose Livingston ?

hnk

« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2016, 11:26:38 AM »
It was never clear who lost interest first....he went to Texas (a and M?)

« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2016, 06:09:47 PM »
1) Mend Love its ankle.

2) Wait for our players to get older.