Chief Blackjack & SJU

• 44 replies
Re: Chief Blackjack & SJU
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2016, 10:31:44 AM »
With PC movement dying and hopefully the execution of SJWs let's go back to the Redmen as part of our rebrand. It's not like we have to use Chief Blackjack but I do have 3 chief shirts 😀

Poison

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2016, 11:01:25 AM »
With PC movement dying and hopefully the execution of SJWs let's go back to the Redmen as part of our rebrand. It's not like we have to use Chief Blackjack but I do have 3 chief shirts 😀

The PC movement isn't dying in the private sector. St.John's can't afford to be the a rear of a donkey anymore even if many of their fans don't know any better.

cjfish

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2016, 11:11:53 AM »
When redmen was abandoned the program tanked.....when we briefly went to the REDMAN I thought PC was satisfied given the true origin of the nickname

ras

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2016, 11:24:54 AM »
When redmen was abandoned the program tanked.....when we briefly went to the REDMAN I thought PC was satisfied given the true origin of the nickname
Unfortunately the tanking of the program and the dropping of the Redmen name was a coincidence. That's why we like it so much . We associate it w winning. Dropping Orangemen didn't hurt SU. Recruits didn't pass on us because we were called the Redstorm.

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2016, 11:30:21 AM »
Redstorm is a shit name with no creativity what so ever. Poison I believe next few yrs you will start to see pushback in private sector as well.

« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2016, 11:55:44 AM »
I agree but there is no going back. But nothing about Chief Blackjack was ever done as racist. I always associated it with firercness and winning.

Poison

« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2016, 12:38:06 PM »
Redstorm is a shit name with no creativity what so ever. Poison I believe next few yrs you will start to see pushback in private sector as well.

Why is that?

Poison

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2016, 12:40:45 PM »
I agree but there is no going back. But nothing about Chief Blackjack was ever done as racist. I always associated it with firercness and winning.

You don't think it's racist, and that's the problem.

« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2016, 01:32:40 PM »

What alternatives do you suggest ?

« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2016, 01:47:15 PM »

Keep in mind that this is a University with women's teams. Another reason for the name change, was to have one name for all teams.

ras

« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2016, 03:07:13 PM »
The name Crimsontide is just as shitty. Hasn't hurt Alabama w FB recruiting. The more the program wins the better the nickname sounds.

« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2016, 05:02:59 PM »

How bout we just change the color from red to yellow.  Here's the new mascot of the "Yellowmen":

King Yellowman
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 05:04:10 PM by carmineabbatiello »

cjfish

« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2016, 05:30:51 PM »
Unfortunately the tanking of the program and the dropping of the Redmen name was a coincidence. That's why we like it so much . We associate it w winning. Dropping Orangemen didn't hurt SU. Recruits didn't pass on us because we were called the Redstorm.

I agree Redstorm is an absurd name.  Our Mojo was ruined by adopting it....God doesnt like a quitter and SJU quit, giving in to a good concept gone insane.  Athletics are basically a civilized war and having a warrior (though this wasn't the original intent of the name) as a mascot honors the Native American culture in any sane world.   THe Big Indian is up there smiling at this thread.

Poison

« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2016, 05:47:11 PM »

I agree Redstorm is an absurd name.  Our Mojo was ruined by adopting it....God doesnt like a quitter and SJU quit, giving in to a good concept gone insane.  Athletics are basically a civilized war and having a warrior (though this wasn't the original intent of the name) as a mascot honors the Native American culture in any sane world.   THe Big Indian is up there smiling at this thread.

This is a Catholic university. If it's a warrior they want so badly, let them look inside their own church for one.

« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2016, 08:45:10 PM »
You old guys are hilarious.

« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2016, 10:16:36 PM »
Poison - that comment on loIkjng within cracked me up...too funny (and point is fair).  Same for ras' Crimson Tide observation. 

The name change was a big loss for anyone a student/fan before the change.  I loved Redmen, but grew to accept Red Storm.

The school did the right thing and the name could have been a ton worse.

Even the Thunderbird, while a bit corny is still way better than the unicorn we first had, or the other options they came up with (these were really bad)

http://www.redstormsports.com/ot/mascot-search.html

I agree it Red Storm also works for the female teams.

Tons of teams named Tigers, Wildcats, Bulls etc...  at least Red Storm is a bit unique even if bland.

Redmen will always have a place in many of our memories but looking back 20+ years, Red Storm has held up and the Native American mascot would not survive at SJU in the times of social media which didn't exist in early 90's, and increasingly diverse student body in largest city.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 10:25:10 PM by RedStormNC »

Marillac

« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2016, 01:59:16 PM »
The St. John's Coach Slayers has a good ring to it.

It'd be fun to have dueling baseline chants alternating all the names of the victims of our unrealistic expectations:  "Fire Mahoney!" "Fire Fraschilla!" "Fire Jarvis!" "Fire Roberts!" "Fire Lavin!" "Fire Mullin!"

At halftime we could have Marco Baldi throw shit at a wall until something  sticks or until Scheppy asks to stop being thrown at a wall. 

« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2016, 02:04:36 PM »

It'd be fun to have dueling baseline chants alternating all the names of the victims of our unrealistic expectations:  "Fire Mahoney!" "Fire Fraschilla!" "Fire Jarvis!" "Fire Roberts!" "Fire Lavin!" "Fire Mullin!"

At halftime we could have Marco Baldi throw shit at a wall until something  sticks or until Scheppy asks to stop being thrown at a wall. 

The St Johns Scheppys

« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2016, 03:00:46 PM »

Only one chanting Fire Fraschilla was Harry (not that Fran didn't help screw things up for himself).

Marillac

« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2016, 06:59:33 PM »

The St Johns Scheppys

SJU Trolls. Have Scheppy and TonyD walking around MSG like the Bushwhackers stopping
and offering their opinions on everything and  annoying the shit out of opposing fans so they leave. Roll them down the stairs like the Orange mascot of Syracuse.