Butler

• 328 replies
Re: Butler
« Reply #260 on: December 30, 2016, 09:18:05 AM »
Yakwe looked more like himself and did what he is needed to do.
Ellison outside of the turnovers was great.
Owens played the best 0 point game of all time.
Lovett made all his FT.
Williams made his presence felt when he was put in. Good jump hooks and used his length defensively.
Mullin used a timeout in first half. Sometimes I think he thinks he get bonus points if he keeps them.

Guys are starting to get into their roles.

Still plenty of areas to clean up.

Ball control
Having positive plays coming out of timeouts
Ball movement
Not taking plays off
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #261 on: December 30, 2016, 09:58:09 AM »
I was at the game and there was an odd exchange from Lovett and Mullin that worried me tonight.
Lovett got taken out and Mullin tried to talk to him or coach him up and Lovett just completely brushed him off and even moved Mullin's hands away from him and just sat down on the bench.

Could of just been regular frustration and nothing to make a note of but it was definitely an odd exchange and Mullin as soon as moved on from it the minute Lovett sat down as if it was a regular occurrence.

I dont want to start rumors or start speculating but I'm genuinely curious if anyone knows of some growing tension between Lovett and Mullin and/or coaching staff and if that has anything to do with the annoying rumors and chatter that he has one foot out the door.

I saw it too. Def caught my attention.

That said Mullin seems to have a habit of putting his hands on the player's chest as they come back to the bench. I've never like that

Something going on or else he would have started. He looked happy we won though. Hope he stays

desco80

« Reply #262 on: December 30, 2016, 10:17:54 AM »
I was at the game and there was an odd exchange from Lovett and Mullin that worried me tonight.
Lovett got taken out and Mullin tried to talk to him or coach him up and Lovett just completely brushed him off and even moved Mullin's hands away from him and just sat down on the bench.

Could of just been regular frustration and nothing to make a note of but it was definitely an odd exchange and Mullin as soon as moved on from it the minute Lovett sat down as if it was a regular occurrence.

I dont want to start rumors or start speculating but I'm genuinely curious if anyone knows of some growing tension between Lovett and Mullin and/or coaching staff and if that has anything to do with the annoying rumors and chatter that he has one foot out the door.

That said Mullin seems to have a habit of putting his hands on the player's chest as they come back to the bench. I've never like that

Something going on or else he would have started. He looked happy we won though. Hope he stays

agree.  I don't buy any of the strategic excuses for starting Ellison.   

Foad

« Reply #263 on: December 30, 2016, 10:19:22 AM »

TONYD3

« Reply #264 on: December 30, 2016, 10:24:11 AM »
Defense was still kind of bad. But effort and intensity was so much better on that end. When you play hard defense can be improved. Offense- honestly not a fan of so many 3's, but I like when the ball goes in the net. We win a few more games ponds and lovett will start getting some media attention, these 2 aren't going anywhere.

« Reply #265 on: December 30, 2016, 10:26:27 AM »

agree.  I don't buy any of the strategic excuses for starting Ellison.   

Even the point he came in was like exactly 5 minute mark. Like that was his punishment. Whatever, he seemed happy at the end.

Marillac

« Reply #266 on: December 30, 2016, 10:30:00 AM »

They just went big for the best defensive matchups. Ellison on Kelan Martin worked well for us. I have to say that I don't like this year's version of Martin. He's averaging way less rebounds he's gone away from what made him so good last year so he can float on the perimeter. I also think Holtman did a poor job by not running Ellison off screens. They screened Lovett and Ponds to death, but those are the only guys we have that can consistently handle them.

desco80

« Reply #267 on: December 30, 2016, 10:41:38 AM »

They just went big for the best defensive matchups. Ellison on Kelan Martin worked well for us. I have to say that I don't like this year's version of Martin. He's averaging way less rebounds he's gone away from what made him so good last year so he can float on the perimeter. I also think Holtman did a poor job by not running Ellison off screens. They screened Lovett and Ponds to death, but those are the only guys we have that can consistently handle them.

They screened our guards because we switch on everything, and so they got Widemand and Chrasbascz on one of our guards, and then reversed the ball to them in the post.

« Reply #268 on: December 30, 2016, 10:42:20 AM »
Came after marcus' offensive foul, he grabbed a water then sat down first seat behind coach, think nothing to it.

Johnny23

« Reply #269 on: December 30, 2016, 10:48:57 AM »
The Johnnies only had their biggest win on campus in 33 years  :)

What makes you say that?

Butler was the highest ranked team we beat on campus since 1983.

« Reply #270 on: December 30, 2016, 10:50:51 AM »

I don't know about all that. The defensive matchups have been noted and I also think it allowed him to fit his game into the offensive flow that had been created. He's obviously the fastest dude on the floor but he can't just run past the other team every possession. They're learning that.

« Reply #271 on: December 30, 2016, 10:59:16 AM »

Nope

« Reply #272 on: December 30, 2016, 11:01:33 AM »

I don't know about all that. The defensive matchups have been noted and I also think it allowed him to fit his game into the offensive flow that had been created. He's obviously the fastest dude on the floor but he can't just run past the other team every possession. They're learning that.

Chris Mullin does not think team is better with Ellison instead of Lovett. Minor team thing and Lovett looked happy at the end. Have to give Mullin credit for not making big deal out small punishment as some coaches(Lavin) would have done.

desco80

« Reply #273 on: December 30, 2016, 11:03:35 AM »
A lot of you guys are finding excuses to avoid the obvious:
Marcus Lovett is a pretty good basketball player.  If he wasn't being punished for something, he would be starting. 
Also, if he was certain to return next season a starting PG wouldn't be thinking of  coming here.

Maybe his infraction was a minor one.  And maybe he decides to return next season.  But don't ignore the smoke. 

« Reply #274 on: December 30, 2016, 11:07:43 AM »

Chris Mullin does not think team is better with Ellison instead of Lovett. Minor team thing and Lovett looked happy at the end. Have to give Mullin credit for not making big deal out small punishment as some coaches(Lavin) would have done.

At first it seemed like you were speculating, now you are presenting it as a fact. Which is it?

« Reply #275 on: December 30, 2016, 11:15:33 AM »

At first it seemed like you were speculating, now you are presenting it as a fact. Which is it?

I was speculating but have since heard Marcus would fit in with the Jet D-Line as far as his attendance for various things.
Not a big deal but as Desco and I both pointed out those of you who think Chris Mullin would start anyone else on this team instead of Marcus Lovett and or Ponds for basketball reasons is pretty ridiculous.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 11:27:13 AM by we are sju »

« Reply #276 on: December 30, 2016, 11:15:52 AM »
Marcus Lovett is a pretty good basketball player.  If he wasn't being punished for something, he would be starting. 
Also, if he was certain to return next season a starting PG wouldn't be thinking of  coming here.

Maybe his infraction was a minor one.  And maybe he decides to return next season.  But don't ignore the smoke.

If he were to transfer, he would lose a year of eligibility (redshirt frosh).
For that reason alone, I would think that he is not transferring.

Wods317

« Reply #277 on: December 30, 2016, 11:19:32 AM »

The talk is that he will go play pro ball somewhere, not that he will transfer.

« Reply #278 on: December 30, 2016, 11:21:13 AM »

Again the rumor-I HAVE NO IDEA IF IT HAS ANY MERIT-but the rumor is he wants to start to get paid for playing basketball sooner rather than later. Somewhere.

Marillac

« Reply #279 on: December 30, 2016, 11:35:50 AM »

They screened our guards because we switch on everything, and so they got Widemand and Chrasbascz on one of our guards, and then reversed the ball to them in the post.

Nobody switches on anything other than ball screens. Our guys also rarely switch on high ball screens unless they are beat. Ponds and Lovett will usually anticipate and fight over it. Ellison goes under everytime. Holtman should have run Ellison into of a variety of screens to create space. I expect him to do just that in the rematch.

As for Wideman, he got nearly all his points that I can remember in secondary transition, outmuscling Yakwe and Owens, on putbacks, and on dives to the basket when our help d left him wide open.