Butler

• 328 replies

Poison

Re: Butler
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2016, 11:25:45 PM »
I agree that it's somewhat disappointing to finish non conference at 6 and 7. We are still far too inconsistent,  but that comes with being so young.

Even so, the negativity of some of the "fans" on this board is astounding.

At times our offense has been tremendous, and we are among the best 3 point shooting teams in the country. At St. John's -- where no one could make an outside shot for most of the last 20 years or so.

What would we be reading if Syracuse had just beaten us by 33? This is just stupid.

I think the negativity is completely warranted. I don't know where on earth you get astounding from. We lost to Delaware State and LIU. We were destroyed at home by Penn State. Even with the win in Syracuse, this was the worst pre-season I can remember. Maybe 2003 beats it, but not by much. We'd love to be optimistic, but the program has to give us a reason to be.

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2016, 12:06:31 AM »
Yeah, Poison, you want to be optimistic: On Butler game, "Can't beat with Mullin's chicken shit defense.  They should beat the shit out of us. And "Butler has men. We have children, and a shit coach."

How did I miss the optimism?

If you want to kill the coach, I guess you're entitled to your opinion.  Let's run Mullin out of town after a season and a third of a complete rebuild (after we gave Norm six years.) But I think to go after the players the way you do shows no class: these are amateur college athletes who signed on for a very tough gig, trying to rebuild a moribund program,  and playing against mostly far more experienced teams in one of the most competitive conferences in the country.

Poison

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2016, 04:26:32 AM »
Yeah, Poison, you want to be optimistic: On Butler game, "Can't beat with Mullin's chicken shit defense.  They should beat the shit out of us. And "Butler has men. We have children, and a shit coach."

How did I miss the optimism?

If you want to kill the coach, I guess you're entitled to your opinion.  Let's run Mullin out of town after a season and a third of a complete rebuild (after we gave Norm six years.) But I think to go after the players the way you do shows no class: these are amateur college athletes who signed on for a very tough gig, trying to rebuild a moribund program,  and playing against mostly far more experienced teams in one of the most competitive conferences in the country.

Not trying shows no class. They are a amateurs, that's true, and they play like true amateurs. As pathetic of a person and coach Norm Roberts was, he was actually more successful than Mullin. It would be great if he surprised everyone and turned it around, but if this is another 8-12 win season, the University needs to show the good sense that they didn't have two years ago, and move on. We are already at enough of a disadvantage playing with such a young team. The last thing we need is a coach who has no idea what he's doing. He sets the tone for how they play.

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2016, 05:34:13 AM »
Are  Chrabascz, Wideman, Martin, Lewis and Baldwin that much better than Ponds, LoVett, Ahmed, Ellison and Owens?

Yes. Butler has men. We have children, and a shit coach.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Poison

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2016, 09:37:25 AM »
Are  Chrabascz, Wideman, Martin, Lewis and Baldwin that much better than Ponds, LoVett, Ahmed, Ellison and Owens?

6-7 is what I'm ashamed of. I'm ashamed to bring people to games and to once again look like the fool who took the bait. If you feel otherwise, I'm sorry, but you're in denial.

TONYD3

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2016, 11:29:34 AM »
I have been most critical of coach mullin. This is a fan board, we are fans it is very normal to be critical of the head basketball coach. Many of you can talk about cupards being bare and complete rebuild all you want . We had a coach, was he perfect absolutely not. But he was competent. If we kept him we would have struggled last year . And probably not done great this year. That is past. I only bring it up, because Chris mullin and St. John's choose this. Last year never had to be that bad. This rebuild didn't have to start so low. This post has nothing to do with Steve Lavin.

Chris mullin took the job and has done it his way. I have no complaints about that, except he has been very unsuccessful. A week ago I thought we had to worst coach in any sport. Killing Syracuse has changed that a little . You have to be somewhat effective to get your team to go in the dome and get a team that isn't playing well to play like that.

18 games left- only 2 against shit teams. Chris mullin was brought here to give us an advantage. So far he hasn't been. I commented plenty that the schedule was not tough when we were playing bad teams early. Many cried and said the shit teams were good. Now we are playing good teams.
I hope we win some games, compete and have a basketball season. If not I hope we get killed. The worst argument in any discussion is "we gave norm 6 years" . Making the same mistake twice is way dumber then making it once .

Marillac

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2016, 01:21:53 PM »

6-7 is what I'm ashamed of. I'm ashamed to bring people to games and to once again look like the fool who took the bait. If you feel otherwise, I'm sorry, but you're in denial.

That you get people to attend games with you is amazing to me. "Hey, I have an extra ticket to watch a steaming pile of shit called St. John's basketball...they have no talent, a horrible coach, and make me miserable. Oh, and they are playing a team from some awful, God forsaken city in the Midwest.  I'll complain the entire time. You in?"

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2016, 03:04:12 PM »

That you get people to attend games with you is amazing to me. "Hey, I have an extra ticket to watch a steaming pile of shit called St. John's basketball...they have no talent, a horrible coach, and make me miserable. Oh, and they are playing a team from some awful, God forsaken city in the Midwest.  I'll complain the entire time. You in?"
Way TOOOOOO funny!

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2016, 03:06:59 PM »

During Norm years I had to throw in free beers to get anyone to come with me to games and I have a sparkling personality.

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2016, 03:13:42 PM »

During Norm years I had to throw in free beers to get anyone to come with me to games and I have a sparkling personality.

That and your .186 batting average at Pace and I'm sure the tickets went quickly
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 03:20:21 PM by Marco Baldi »

« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2016, 03:24:55 PM »

That and your .186 batting average at Pace and I'm sure the tickets went quickly

No one did more with a 186 batting average than I did!
"I am on the baseball team" greatest pickup line ever!
Well, at Iona I am sure "I do not have an STD" probably worked

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2016, 03:32:59 PM »

What am I in denial about?

« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2016, 03:46:17 PM »

Zing
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2016, 03:49:47 PM »

Having a pulse worked at Iona

« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2016, 03:55:45 PM »
Ha this is true.  I miss the Ketch.

Poison

« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2016, 04:16:38 PM »

Hey, I agree with most of what you said, but I don't think you can call anything in the Midwest a city. More like a decaying dust bin wasteland.

Foad

« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2016, 04:35:40 PM »
I don't think you can call anything in the Midwest a city. More like a decaying dust bin wasteland.

Exactly. Chicago and Saint Louis have nothing on Scarsdale.

Marillac

« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2016, 06:18:07 PM »

What was it that got Norm to date you?

« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2016, 06:28:06 PM »

Man boobs

« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2016, 06:45:46 PM »

Man boobs

can I sell you a manzier or a bro