Butler

• 328 replies
Re: Butler
« Reply #200 on: December 29, 2016, 09:17:24 PM »
Mullin is going to resign.  There is a rumor going around Carnesecca...

BTW does this mean Butler would lose to Delaware St and get blown out by Penn St at home?  Just asking.

Anything can happen in college hoops

boo3

« Reply #201 on: December 29, 2016, 09:19:41 PM »

« Reply #202 on: December 29, 2016, 09:22:23 PM »
Only 5 assists and still got the W

TONYD3

« Reply #203 on: December 29, 2016, 09:25:57 PM »
This is a much bigger win then Syracuse! DePaul next. Can't believe it 2-0 wow! Maybe
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 09:27:15 PM by TONYD3 »

goredmen

« Reply #204 on: December 29, 2016, 09:27:05 PM »
Only 5 assists and still got the W

Butler gives up the 6th fewest Assists per FG made in the country fwiw

goredmen

« Reply #205 on: December 29, 2016, 09:27:30 PM »
This is a much bigger win then Syracuse! DePaul next. Can't believe it 2-0 wow! Maybe

Easy now

« Reply #206 on: December 29, 2016, 09:28:44 PM »
Good win.  Offense stalled in last 5-6 minutes but smart defense and Ponds won the game

Ponds, Ellison and Owens. Great plays down the stretch

Don't forget that huge shot by Lovett

Marillac

« Reply #207 on: December 29, 2016, 09:28:52 PM »
Ponds is ridiculous.

Insane. I was just laughing at some of the plays throughout game. Under the rim finish with strong left hand during first half comes to mind.

The floaters, the treys, the pullups, the step backs, the absolute dimes, wow. I don't know what is scarier between how fast he can get set and release a shot and how he goes minutes at a time without his made shots even coming close to touching the rim.

Also can't say enough how much I love the version of Lovett we've seen the last few games.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 09:29:33 PM by Marillac »

boo3

« Reply #208 on: December 29, 2016, 09:31:45 PM »
That is why Ellison is so important for this team....His defense against Martin was key. Locked him up at times..

« Reply #209 on: December 29, 2016, 09:33:43 PM »
Good win.  Offense stalled in last 5-6 minutes but smart defense and Ponds won the game

Yes. Great game from Mullin down to Williams. No complaints

« Reply #210 on: December 29, 2016, 09:34:15 PM »
Great win!!!! We all needed that!

« Reply #211 on: December 29, 2016, 09:34:17 PM »

BTW does this mean Butler would lose to Delaware St and get blown out by Penn St at home?  Just asking.

2-0 w/o your boyfriend

« Reply #212 on: December 29, 2016, 09:36:57 PM »

2-0 w/o your boyfriend

He has a pulse

« Reply #213 on: December 29, 2016, 09:39:05 PM »
Just got back from the game.  A few things:

1.  Loved Mullin pressing Butler.  Made them uncomfortable even if it didn't result in turnovers.

2.  Ponds.  Enough.  He will have bad games given how much we expect from him, but those are the ones that we need Lovett, Mussini, Ellison, etc to contribute more.

3.  Lovett with the huge step back shot.  Onions.

4.  Williams can and should get some burn.  6 points and 6 boards.

5.  Ahmed can drive you nuts with some of the drives into traffics and turnovers, but is developing as a nice scoring option and playing better D.

6.  Can't believe that we won shooting a terrible percentage from 3 and with only 5 assists.

7.  We can easily lose to Depaul on Sunday.  Cain and Garrett's size will give our guards problems.  People on this board kill Garrett but he has moments where he can play really well.  Good thing is that this team isn't in a position to look past anyone.

8.  Last - I realize that none of us can predict what a young kid might do at season's end, especially with advisors, parents, etc in their ear.  But as someone who sat close to the bench tonight, I'll say this.  All of the kids who supposed may not be here next year where into the game and ecstatic at their teammates success; Lovett ran a huddle at the end of the game and gave a speech to his teammates; Mussini was grinning ear to ear; Ellison had a smile you couldn't rip off; Yawke was jumping up and down like a maniac.   With Sima, you could tell after the Fordham game that he was not into this.  All of these kids, right now, seemingly are.

TONYD3

« Reply #214 on: December 29, 2016, 09:43:59 PM »
Just got back from the game.  A few things:

1.  Loved Mullin pressing Butler.  Made them uncomfortable even if it didn't result in turnovers.

2.  Ponds.  Enough.  He will have bad games given how much we expect from him, but those are the ones that we need Lovett, Mussini, Ellison, etc to contribute more.

3.  Lovett with the huge step back shot.  Onions.

4.  Williams can and should get some burn.  6 points and 6 boards.

5.  Ahmed can drive you nuts with some of the drives into traffics and turnovers, but is developing as a nice scoring option and playing better D.

6.  Can't believe that we won shooting a terrible percentage from 3 and with only 5 assists.

7.  We can easily lose to Depaul on Sunday.  Cain and Garrett's size will give our guards problems.  People on this board kill Garrett but he has moments where he can play really well.  Good thing is that this team isn't in a position to look past anyone.

8.  Last - I realize that none of us can predict what a young kid might do at season's end, especially with advisors, parents, etc in their ear.  But as someone who sat close to the bench tonight, I'll say this.  All of the kids who supposed may not be here next year where into the game and ecstatic at their teammates success; Lovett ran a huddle at the end of the game and gave a speech to his teammates; Mussini was grinning ear to ear; Ellison had a smile you couldn't rip off; Yawke was jumping up and down like a maniac.   With Sima, you could tell after the Fordham game that he was not into this.  All of these kids, right now, seemingly are.

Agree with except can't lose to DePaul . I couldn't take it.

« Reply #215 on: December 29, 2016, 09:46:39 PM »
Someone will.  And we are the most likely candidate given how much we rely on new/young players.  Ponds will have bad games and it remains to be seen if the other kids will step up enough when that happens.

« Reply #216 on: December 29, 2016, 09:49:29 PM »
Also, I love that kid Chrabascz.  His stat line does not indicate how good he was tonight.  Butler runs their offense through him a ton, and he makes good decisions seemingly all the time.  Can't believe he only had 4 assists, as he seemed to be involved whenever they scored.  If hockey assists counted he'd have a boatload.

Marillac

« Reply #217 on: December 29, 2016, 09:52:53 PM »

Yes. Great game from Mullin down to Williams. No complaints

Williams looked great tonight. In MMA they say "styles make fights" and the different styles
are also valuable  in basketball. Williams was the only hope we had against Wideman. The kid surely looks dopey trying to defend in space against skilled players, but he's damn good bodying up power players in the paint. He had a few slow rotations but that is expected with his lack of other thus far.

New rule for 2017: Owens can't take jumpers in the second half.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 09:54:50 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #218 on: December 29, 2016, 09:53:47 PM »
Move over Barkley, Ponds is the best freshman I'be ever seen at St. John's.  The control he has on the ball is incredible.

Was just trying to think who was better than him as a frosh

No one i can think of.  Even Mark Jackson wasnt this good freshman year.  Only person that comes close is Hatten, but he was never a freshman here. Ponds is beyond his years.

« Reply #219 on: December 29, 2016, 09:56:27 PM »
Harkless broke the Big East scoring record his first game as a freshman, I believe.  He dominated a Duke team that had pros all over the court.  And Mo was playing out of position for a good chunk of the year.  He was on that level.