Butler - Player of the Game

• 21 replies

desco80

Butler - Player of the Game
« on: December 30, 2016, 08:41:19 AM »
(Stats to come)

In my mind there's no question it's Ponds.
Ahmed played well, but Shamorie did everything we needed from him.

derk

Re: Butler - Player of the Game
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 09:17:13 AM »
Who else really S.P.

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 09:19:04 AM »
It's Shamorie but will give Bash a ton of credit too. His steal in the 2nd half followed by a 3 gave this team hope. I thought the wheels had fallen off prior to that but he said it isn't over yet.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 09:21:08 AM »
Ponds had a game for the ages.

Ahmed was great. Kid is turning into the guy we hoped he'd be. Tariq Owens is still a WIP, but what a rebound. Huge. LoVett was good overall, but what was up with him coming off the bench?

Lastly, shout out to Amar Alibegovic for not taking a 3 pointer and making everyone in Carnesecca Arena physically ill.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 09:22:41 AM by Poison »

derk

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 09:38:39 AM »
Anyone else notice SP take about 5 steps on one of his steals and layup plays

Wods317

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 09:44:00 AM »
Shamorie was an absolute beast last night. That was a great game to be at and watch how good he is up close.

cjfish

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 10:53:50 AM »
Right now I think Ponds is all big east, first team.  His consistency as a frosh is remarkable.

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 10:59:52 AM »

Ahmed was great. Kid is turning into the guy we hoped he'd be. Tariq Owens is still a WIP, but what a rebound. Huge. LoVett was good overall, but what was up with him coming off the bench?

Lastly, shout out to Amar Alibegovic for not taking a 3 pointer and making everyone in Carnesecca Arena physically ill.
Most comical moment of the game...crowd anticipating another 3 pointer, collectively screamed "No!!!"

redslope

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2016, 12:00:39 PM »
Ponds definitely but need to get him less minutes as it is a long season--36 too many; he will be dragging by February.

Johnny23

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2016, 12:11:33 PM »
Darien Williams has earned himself a permanent spot in the rotation with his physical D and his nice post game on O.

Wods317

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2016, 12:14:31 PM »
Darien Williams has earned himself a permanent spot in the rotation with his physical D and his nice post game on O.

100%. I like him. He can be a useful player with his size and length. He plays to his strengths which is a great quality, much rather see him out there then AA.

TONYD3

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2016, 03:03:34 PM »

100%. I like him. He can be a useful player with his size and length. He plays to his strengths which is a great quality, much rather see him out there then AA.
Agree. He also plays defense without trying to block every shot.

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2016, 03:18:07 PM »
Ponds is so poised out there. Without being the quickest guy he seems to always get to where he needs to get. Shifty and smooth.  Slick.

Lovett's skills and footwork are so advanced. It it obvious that he has put a ton of time in on his game. Perhaps he will stay one more year and the "overcrowded" backcourt would only be for half a year.

Ahmed will turn it over a little much and take some ill advised shots, but he is too strong and too talented not to rack up some points while doing so.

Yakwe played well I thought. Catch and dunk, start from there.

RF has played solid in the minutes he has gotten last few games. Good footwork, good awareness, lots of potential. I have noticed that he has excellent passing ability but seemingly only when he is passing backhanded e.g. in the post or driving baseline.

lets get to 2-0
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2016, 03:23:59 PM »
No question it's Ponds. Best freshman guard since Darryl Hill.

A side question, why didn't Mussini play?

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2016, 05:25:06 PM »
Anyone else notice SP take about 5 steps on one of his steals and layup plays

funny you said that,there was an audible "NO" from many people in my section when he was open and thought about it.

Marillac

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2016, 05:50:29 PM »
Ponds was amazing.  I am beginning to accept Bash's wildness. Yeah, it will be ugly and reckless, but a miss is a miss like a strikeout in baseball is an out just like hard hit liner to deep center. I think his teammates will learn to follow up his hard drives better as the season goes on. He draws everyone on the court.

Marillac

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2016, 05:52:17 PM »
Ponds is so poised out there. Without being the quickest guy he seems to always get to where he needs to get. Shifty and smooth.  Slick.

Lovett's skills and footwork are so advanced. It it obvious that he has put a ton of time in on his game. Perhaps he will stay one more year and the "overcrowded" backcourt would only be for half a year.

Ahmed will turn it over a little much and take some ill advised shots, but he is too strong and too talented not to rack up some points while doing so.

Yakwe played well I thought. Catch and dunk, start from there.

RF has played solid in the minutes he has gotten last few games. Good footwork, good awareness, lots of potential. I have noticed that he has excellent passing ability but seemingly only when he is passing backhanded e.g. in the post or driving baseline.

lets get to 2-0

As I said since his HS days, Ponds comes off as an average athlete because he plays with such exceptional control and pace. He's actually a freak athlete. 

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2016, 09:15:35 PM »

Most comical moment of the game...crowd anticipating another 3 pointer, collectively screamed "No!!!"

Definitely held my breathe there too. Growth as player/team realizing situation.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2016, 09:22:46 AM »
Ponds is a cagey cager.

ras

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2016, 02:26:43 PM »
POG is obvious. Bash gets honorable  mention. Williams gets my award for most pleasant suprise.. I'd rather see him then Amar or Freud. 6 8, relatively strong, can make a shot, an inside game and doesn't try to be a hero at the 3 pt line.