Creighton

• 405 replies
Re: Creighton
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2017, 04:50:04 PM »
A lot of these matchups are similar to what I said against Butler. We can match up player vs player but holistically we need to play disciplined and can't take plays off. Creighton will be consistent we need to match that and hope home court is the difference maker. 
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2017, 04:55:43 PM »
This isn't the 96 Bulls. Ellison should be able to do well on Foster since the kid can't dribble...he's all jumpers and dunks. Patton is just a frosh and I don't think he's big enough to bully Owens like many of the jacked guys he's struggled against. After Patton, we hold the size and beef advantage.

Rebounding will be huge. If we can control the glass, we have a chance. You can't give Creighton extra possessions.

Lol what? He's definitely big enough to bully Owens and skilled enough too. Patton is by far the best big we've played. Nick Ward  (also a Frosh) was one point shy of a double/double against us in 12 minutes and Patton is better than Ward. Mike Watkins of Penn State (Another Frosh)  went for 15 and 13 against us and Patton is bigger and better than him too.

Outside of Lovett vs Watson and Ellison vs Foster we don't have a size advantage anywhere else. Khyri Thomas is bigger than Ponds and Ahmed vs Huff is a push in terms of size.

I'll let them know not to show up then.
Outside of Thomas they don't impress me on D or the glass. Patton is good, but he's not a phenom by any stretch....he looks like a slightly better version of Sima to me. The way you beat Owens  this year is by going through him. Patton has scored on finesse moves thus far.

This seems like a game where some of our forwards can really step up to give us a chance.

« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2017, 05:10:51 PM »
We have 10 fouls between Amar and WIlliams, got to use them inside against Patton and try to provoke him into something stupid.  I like the subtle knuckle in the back trick or stepping on the heal.  (WHoops, I think this style is dating myself) ;)

Ha both good tactics. I'd still opt for the not so subtle Robert Parish clothesline takedown.

Cant do that anymore, can be dirty only subtly. 

Unlike many of you I think penetration by our guards will be the key, try to get their front line to foul a bit a get to the line early.  I believe they will overplay the 3 and give us this opportunity.

This. Take it to the hole early and often

« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2017, 05:12:59 PM »
Patton has scored in double digits in all but 2 games and the worst he's shot is 57%. That was the only game he made less than 60% of his shots. Dude is really good.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2017, 05:19:35 PM »
Watson, Foster and Patton will outplay LoVett, Ponds and Owens/Williams.  Our only shot is if Ahmed has a great game.

Didn't Ponds put up 40 last year in some hs classic against school that had the kid that's now on UCLA that's projected as a lottery pick?

I'm sure Ponds and Marcus know that Creightons backcourt is considered the best duo in the B.E.
They'll be motivated.

As for Patton, put Ahmed on him, and if he gets down low, then Williams or Owens helps out.

I'm sure Mullin will have a good game plan for Patton.

« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2017, 05:27:27 PM »
Watson, Foster and Patton will outplay LoVett, Ponds and Owens/Williams.  Our only shot is if Ahmed has a great game.

Didn't Ponds put up 40 last year in some hs classic against school that had the kid that's now on UCLA that's projected as a lottery pick?

I'm sure Ponds and Marcus know that Creightons backcourt is considered the best duo in the B.E.
They'll be motivated.

As for Patton, put Ahmed on him, and if he gets down low, then Williams or Owens helps out.

I'm sure Mullin will have a good game plan for Patton.

Ponds did score 40, but it's not like Ball was guarding him all game, and Ball's lottery projection is irrelevant (similar, to what he's done in high school is irrelevant). 

Ponds' game now isn't irrelevant, as he has shown he can play on "this" level.  I'm just not worried about other backcourts, as I feel confident in our backcourt.  I know there will be times when they could and will get outplayed by other backcourts.  But, I doubt it happens frequently.

I have no problem putting either Ahmed, Williams, or Owens on him, while doubling him if he gets it too low in the paint.  If he's too far from the basket, then run a guard at him when he decides to put it on the floor.  Based on how we've played of late, this should be an entertaining game.

« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2017, 05:28:34 PM »
We have 10 fouls between Amar and WIlliams, got to use them inside against Patton and try to provoke him into something stupid.  I like the subtle knuckle in the back trick or stepping on the heal.  (WHoops, I think this style is dating myself) ;)

Ha both good tactics. I'd still opt for the not so subtle Robert Parish clothesline takedown.

Unlike many of you I think penetration by our guards will be the key, try to get their front line to foul a bit a get to the line early.  I believe they will overplay the 3 and give us this opportunity.

Exactly what I'm think, drive to the hoop, try to get them in early foul trouble. Their bench isn't anything great.

« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2017, 05:30:35 PM »
This. Take it to the hole early and often

Agree.  Drive and create their own shot or dish it off.  Williams and Owens typically will cleanly catch the ball.  Yakwe might be 50/50.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 05:30:54 PM by mjdinkins »

goredmen

« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2017, 05:30:48 PM »
This isn't the 96 Bulls. Ellison should be able to do well on Foster since the kid can't dribble...he's all jumpers and dunks. Patton is just a frosh and I don't think he's big enough to bully Owens like many of the jacked guys he's struggled against. After Patton, we hold the size and beef advantage.

Rebounding will be huge. If we can control the glass, we have a chance. You can't give Creighton extra possessions.

Lol what? He's definitely big enough to bully Owens and skilled enough too. Patton is by far the best big we've played. Nick Ward  (also a Frosh) was one point shy of a double/double against us in 12 minutes and Patton is better than Ward. Mike Watkins of Penn State (Another Frosh)  went for 15 and 13 against us and Patton is bigger and better than him too.

Outside of Lovett vs Watson and Ellison vs Foster we don't have a size advantage anywhere else. Khyri Thomas is bigger than Ponds and Ahmed vs Huff is a push in terms of size.

Outside of Thomas they don't impress me on D or the glass. Patton is good, but he's not a phenom by any stretch....he looks like a slightly better version of Sima to me. The way you beat Owens  this year is by going through him. Patton has scored on finesse moves thus far.

This seems like a game where some of our forwards can really step up to give us a chance.

Slightly better version than Sima? Patton is a future 1st round pick, and not in the very distant future either

« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2017, 05:33:21 PM »

Slightly better version than Sima? Patton is a future 1st round pick, and not in the very distant future either

I think he's much better than Sima.  I'm not saying, Sima can't get there, but right now Patton is a much better player.

By the way, Patton was also a top 70 recruit coming out of high school (rated as high as #41, per Scout).  So, the talent was already there, per the recruitniks.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 05:39:00 PM by mjdinkins »

Johnny23

« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2017, 05:51:11 PM »

Sure you can if your name is Amar, he's expendable. Whatever it takes to neutralize Patton :)

Regarding the game plan, Mullin needs to have our guards drive a lot and break down their D which may be tough if they go zone and force us to beat them from deep.
I welcome a zone. Not expecting it. How good is Patton?

One of the best Frosh big men in the country. He's for real.

« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2017, 06:07:41 PM »
I worry much more about matching up with bigs like Delgaldo than I do Patton. Doesn't mean he's not very good. Just think our defense isn't that unprepared to face a taller big man. Its the burly guys that give us the most problems.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2017, 06:13:56 PM »
$10 off any tickets left when you use the code PACKTHEHOUSE

Marillac

« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2017, 06:45:00 PM »

Ha! He moves like a robot. I could see him being a backup if he polished up his game, but this is not the type of talent some of you think. His current draft projection will slide down to second round with time.

Marillac

« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2017, 06:45:36 PM »
I worry much more about matching up with bigs like Delgaldo than I do Patton. Doesn't mean he's not very good. Just think our defense isn't that unprepared to face a taller big man. Its the burly guys that give us the most problems.

This.

« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2017, 07:04:45 PM »
Bruce Beck on local NBC news just did a short piece on SJU, with a short interview of Mullin, Shamorie and Darien Williams.

The buzz is picking up a bit.  A win against Creighton will surely increase it.

Wods317

« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2017, 07:14:57 PM »
I really like how the coaching staff, players,  athletic department and even the AD are encouraging people to buy tickets and come to the game tomorrow night. Would be really nice to see another sell out crowd. I think it gives the kids a little more confidence and obviously gives us a little better home court advantage.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 07:15:19 PM by Wods317 »

TONYD3

« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2017, 07:18:33 PM »
Think we will have a decent crowd considering the 8:30 start. Anyone who goes really wants to be there. I have my ticket.

goredmen

« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2017, 07:37:34 PM »

Ha! He moves like a robot. I could see him being a backup if he polished up his game, but this is not the type of talent some of you think. His current draft projection will slide down to second round with time.

Just admit you haven't watched him play yet, it's fine and it's obvious. His draft stock is only rising right now, not slipping. He wasn't even on draft boards before the season and now there's legitimate talk he might leave after this season.

Whether or not he'll be a good NBA player is a different conversation. He's one of the best bigs in the country right now regardless of class

« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2017, 07:52:05 PM »