Creighton

• 405 replies

paultzman

Re: Creighton
« Reply #120 on: January 04, 2017, 12:53:03 PM »
Amar doesn't get physical, usually gets two fouls in locker room pre game, has mastered the Euro step drive resulting in a walk & gets beat back door often. No thanks!

I agree with all of that except the physical part. AA has two modes:  Bam Bam and "try not to foul." I thought  he was solid  in the DePaul game--solid being that he didn't hurt us. Limited players like AA tend to have a few games a year where they make a difference (Syracuse last year). On paper, this is their best chance.

I just find he gets silly reaching fouls & seldom gets in good position down low to deny penetration. We'll see.

« Reply #121 on: January 04, 2017, 01:04:06 PM »
Patton has gone to the line 2 times or less in 9 games this year. Body him up and live with the results. Bigger things to worry about.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #122 on: January 04, 2017, 01:04:17 PM »
Amar doesn't get physical, usually gets two fouls in locker room pre game, has mastered the Euro step drive resulting in a walk & gets beat back door often. No thanks!

I agree with all of that except the physical part. AA has two modes:  Bam Bam and "try not to foul." I thought  he was solid  in the DePaul game--solid being that he didn't hurt us. Limited players like AA tend to have a few games a year where they make a difference (Syracuse last year). On paper, this is their best chance.

I just find he gets silly reaching fouls & seldom gets in good position down low to deny penetration. We'll see.

Williams and Ahmed are our only bigs that you would even remotely call physical and Ahmed is probably 6-5.
I really don't enjoy bringing this up but man Chris Jones would have been a nice piece to front court.

« Reply #123 on: January 04, 2017, 01:06:25 PM »
Amar should transfer to Kansas where you are allowed the Euro-step and then some.

« Reply #124 on: January 04, 2017, 01:07:28 PM »

Williams and Ahmed are our only bigs that you would even remotely call physical and Ahmed is probably 6-5.
I really don't enjoy bringing this up but man Chris Jones would have been a nice piece to front court.

What this team is missing, is a Jordan Washington type. Staff needs to think out the box on the transfer route

paultzman

« Reply #125 on: January 04, 2017, 01:09:58 PM »
Patton has gone to the line 2 times or less in 9 games this year. Body him up and live with the results. Bigger things to worry about.

Yup, their guards & also Huff can be sneaky good.

« Reply #126 on: January 04, 2017, 01:41:46 PM »
Rotation needs to get smaller. The Europeans don't play unless it's a blowout.
You might have to Have Yakwe next to them on the bench. Nova has no problem playing 6.

Marillac

« Reply #127 on: January 04, 2017, 02:05:53 PM »

He has two moves....goes to the up-and-under by default. He'll hook it over or smaller defenders like he did to Paschall of Nova or around stiffs. Everything else is lobs, dunks, or open jumpers.

Of course, I've now set the stage for his 40 and 18 coming out party.

« Reply #128 on: January 04, 2017, 02:13:12 PM »

He has two moves....goes to the up-and-under by default. He'll hook it over or smaller defenders like he did to Paschall of Nova or around stiffs. Everything else is lobs, dunks, or open jumpers.

In 25 minutes he is averaging 13 and 6.5 shooting 74%. No that is not a mistype 74%
And though averaging 6.5 boards in 25 mins in not spectacular, as a team Creighton is shooting 54%. Yes 54% So basically there are hardly any offensive rebounds to get.
And just to put numbers in context Ewing as a Frosh 12.7 and 7.5. No that he is anywhere close to Pat but based off the arguments on here about  Patton, if there was a SJU board in 1982 the 1982 version of some of you would be posting why worry about Ewing only averaging 12.7 and 7.5

« Reply #129 on: January 04, 2017, 02:40:47 PM »
Rotation needs to get smaller. The Europeans don't play unless it's a blowout.
You might have to Have Yakwe next to them on the bench. Nova has no problem playing 6.

During the Artest days we went 7, our top ballers get more time, the lesser guys less time
Williams and Owens gotta get up to atleast 25minutes per game.

« Reply #130 on: January 04, 2017, 02:59:19 PM »

In 25 minutes he is averaging 13 and 6.5 shooting 74%. No that is not a mistype 74%
And though averaging 6.5 boards in 25 mins in not spectacular, as a team Creighton is shooting 54%. Yes 54% So basically there are hardly any offensive rebounds to get.
And just to put numbers in context Ewing as a Frosh 12.7 and 7.5. No that he is anywhere close to Pat but based off the arguments on here about  Patton, if there was a SJU board in 1982 the 1982 version of some of you would be posting why worry about Ewing only averaging 12.7 and 7.5

You are a pro at taking something that isnt even there and running with it. No one is saying that he is not good.

« Reply #131 on: January 04, 2017, 03:18:33 PM »

You are a pro at taking something that isnt even there and running with it. No one is saying that he is not good.

"He's a freshman averaging 13 and 6...let's not get carried away."

"Patton is just a frosh and I don't think he's big enough to bully Owens like many of the jacked guys he's struggled against. "

"Patton is good, but he's not a phenom by any stretch....he looks like a slightly better version of Sima to me. The way you beat Owens  this year is by going through him. Patton has scored on finesse moves thus far."

"Ha! He moves like a robot. I could see him being a backup if he polished up his game, but this is not the type of talent some of you think. His current draft projection will slide down to second round with time. "

" Best big averaging 6 RPG? GTFOH."

I really could go on

« Reply #132 on: January 04, 2017, 03:22:08 PM »

"Patton is just a frosh and I don't think he's big enough to bully Owens like many of the jacked guys he's struggled against. "

"Patton is good, but he's not a phenom by any stretch....he looks like a slightly better version of Sima to me. The way you beat Owens  this year is by going through him. Patton has scored on finesse moves thus far."

"Ha! He moves like a robot. I could see him being a backup if he polished up his game, but this is not the type of talent some of you think. His current draft projection will slide down to second round with time. "

I really could go on

Made by one poster who is just trying to say he isnt our biggest concern.

« Reply #133 on: January 04, 2017, 03:24:30 PM »

I really could go on

Oh you mean the poster who I was responding to???

« Reply #134 on: January 04, 2017, 03:26:16 PM »

I really could go on

And most of that stuff I would let go but not sure how you can compare a guy shooting 74% to Sima?
Sima wouldn't shoot 74% if he was the only guy in the gym
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 03:26:45 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #135 on: January 04, 2017, 03:28:47 PM »

I really could go on

"but based off the arguments on here about  Patton, if there was a SJU board in 1982 the 1982 version of some of you would be posting why worry about Ewing only averaging 12.7 and 7.5"

Full disclosure I think you're one of the better posters here. You just have a knack for picking small tidbits, generalizing them across a large group of the board, and then perpetrating those same arguments by starting threads and continuously bringing it up.

« Reply #136 on: January 04, 2017, 03:34:40 PM »

I really could go on

"but based off the arguments on here about  Patton, if there was a SJU board in 1982 the 1982 version of some of you would be posting why worry about Ewing only averaging 12.7 and 7.5"

Full disclosure I think you're one of the better posters here. You just have a knack for picking small tidbits, generalizing them across a large group of the board, and then perpetrating those same arguments by starting threads and continuously bringing it up.

Full disclosure ever since my buddy Marillac (who I like but sometimes his basketball tastes are worse than his taste in UCONN women)  said he thinks it was a good idea for Lovett not to start, I made it my mission to heckle him whenever he posts something silly.

So yes should have just said Marillac instead of posters, but was initially including you but after further thought I gave you a pass on Delgado who is better than Patton right now but I think we could have more problems with Patton just based on size.

« Reply #137 on: January 04, 2017, 04:10:27 PM »
This thread is an absolute hoot.

Two weeks ago our team was a complete dumpster fire and half the posters on this board wanted to burn Mullin at the stake and sign their names in blood to have an as yet unborn Hurley commit to coming here to coach. Today we are strategizing various ways to compete with and defeat the #10 team in the country.  Only at St. John's.

Carnesecca should be sold out and will be rocking tonight -- this should be real fun!  Let's be honest, before the Syracuse game who thought that SJU-Creighton would be an actual BIG GAME?

Marillac

« Reply #138 on: January 04, 2017, 04:18:49 PM »

I really could go on

Full disclosure ever since my buddy Marillac (who I like but sometimes his basketball tastes are worse than his taste in UCONN women)  said he thinks it was a good idea for Lovett not to start, I made it my mission to heckle him whenever he posts something silly.

So yes should have just said Marillac instead of posters, but was initially including you but after further thought I gave you a pass on Delgado who is better than Patton right now but I think we could have more problems with Patton just based on size.

I simply said "I don't mind" Lovett coming off the bench temporarily since we've started all but two games strong and he's going to play 30+ mpg anyway. You imputed the rest to me to complete that straw man

Patton is a good player, but he's not Anthony Davis.  He just happens to be the kind of big that  Owens can (likely) handle. He had to redshirt last year because he was too frail. He hasn't gone through anyone yet in his career, and that's how you punish Owens. As for invoking Ewing, that's just crazy. GG Achuiwa averaged 10 and 6 in 29 minutes his first year.

Watson and Foster are the guys that you need to stop to win. 

Marillac

« Reply #139 on: January 04, 2017, 04:22:38 PM »
This thread is an absolute hoot.

Two weeks ago our team was a complete dumpster fire and half the posters on this board wanted to burn Mullin at the stake and sign their names in blood to have an as yet unborn Hurley commit to coming here to coach. Today we are strategizing various ways to compete with and defeat the #10 team in the country.  Only at St. John's.

Carnesecca should be sold out and will be rocking tonight -- this should be real fun!  Let's be honest, before the Syracuse game who thought that SJU-Creighton would be an actual BIG GAME?

I think this game will tell us where our season goes. I expect to lose by 8-12 and that this is the last chance to have any real excitement in terms of a postseason. But, Man, I'd love to be wrong, and I think anything is possible with this group.