Creighton

• 405 replies
Re: Creighton
« Reply #340 on: January 04, 2017, 11:31:56 PM »
Like the effort. Creighton like many others have said is just much better overall. The defense is still lacking, too many lobs and dunks. Patton was a beast and we just had no answer for him. It's a shame about Brown, his size would be very valuable. Hopefully Matt can find us some size for next season. Looking forward to the rest of these games. This team is gona struggle but they fight and are improving.
Is Zach Brown confirmed ineligible?

« Reply #341 on: January 04, 2017, 11:32:51 PM »
Like the effort. Creighton like many others have said is just much better overall. The defense is still lacking, too many lobs and dunks. Patton was a beast and we just had no answer for him. It's a shame about Brown, his size would be very valuable. Hopefully Matt can find us some size for next season. Looking forward to the rest of these games. This team is gona struggle but they fight and are improving.

I'm not sure anyone even knows where he is

« Reply #342 on: January 04, 2017, 11:38:59 PM »

I'm not sure anyone even knows where he is
Sucks that the only legit big guy we can get is a question mark that could leave us empty handed next season. Theyd be so much better with a big body inside its unbelievabe

Marillac

« Reply #343 on: January 04, 2017, 11:43:44 PM »
1 assist between Ponds and Lovett. Is that even possible. Ellison had 7

Guys have to make shots for there to be assists. I can't remember a team getting stripped or dropping more passes on WIDE OPEN chippies. I give Owens a huge pass for his hustle, but he was awful tonight. Can they feed this F*cking kid? He looks like he's lost ten pounds since the season began. His weight is unacceptable.we should rotate taking him to White Castle on Northern Blvd and make him pound a crave case.

At least Ellison can pass the ball to Lovett and Ponds and tally som
dimes. Lovett has to lay it on the rim for them to blow it in some
games. Yakwe needs a come to Jesus meeting.

« Reply #344 on: January 05, 2017, 12:04:18 AM »

Guys have to make shots for there to be assists. I can't remember a team getting stripped or dropping more passes on WIDE OPEN chippies. I give Owens a huge pass for his hustle, but he was awful tonight. Can they feed this F*cking kid? He looks like he's lost ten pounds since the season began. His weight is unacceptable.we should rotate taking him to White Castle on Northern Blvd and make him pound a crave case.

/

Owens was the only big who consistently score tonight. I could,live with 6-8 shooting.

« Reply #345 on: January 05, 2017, 12:13:19 AM »
I was disappointed that they came out relatively flat I do think that Creighton might be the best team in the Big East. (Which is weird to say when they lost at home to Nova) Waston, Foster and Patton are the real deal Ally McBeal.

« Reply #346 on: January 05, 2017, 12:14:49 AM »
Just got back from the game. 

Crowd was great.  Got loud at every opportunity, especially in the second half when we began to cut into the lead.  Each time it got to 10, 9, 8, etc, the crowd was looking for a basket to go absolutely bananas.  Creighton would make a play and take a bit of the air out of the building.

The first half was tough.  Missed chippies inside by our forwards, Ponds/Lovett missing shots at the rim they typically make, having no answer for Patton, and Watson controlling the game.  He really is that good.  Hit back-breaking 3's when we started to get towards single digits, plays smart all the time, always seems to be under control, and has an insane handle.

The fight in the second half made this game worth attending.  It also showed me that these kids deserve us to show up throughout the year, even when we deal with a stretch of losses, which we will.  Creighton's core 6 all can score, pass, and move without the ball.  There aren't many teams like that - Nova is probably the only other one in the conference that can do so on a consistent basis.  When facing a team like that, you simply cannot have the defensive lapses we had.  That is the biggest area of improvement for the players and staff.  Yes, Williams, Owens and Co. need to be tougher on the block and make shots at the rim when presented.  But more importantly, they need to be more aware on defense when playing against a team that has 5 guys who can hurt you at any time.  Our guards or forwards got screened WAY too many times, leading to easy baskets, simply because the guy defending the screen (typically one of our forwards) did not have the awareness to help out.

« Reply #347 on: January 05, 2017, 12:33:41 AM »

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #348 on: January 05, 2017, 12:45:07 AM »
Went to the game. Was a bit disappointed with the outcome, but I thought they played reasonably well against a very good team. Big difference between this year's team and last year's team was when Creighton went up 22, with a huge run to start the second half, last year's team would have folded and gone down 30, but this team fought back and at least made it semi-interesting.

Was my first game at Carnasecca since 2014, and man was it an awful experience. Obviously the seating is horrible with no seat backs, or arm rests in the upper level which is a nightmare when you get a bigger person sitting next to you, and on part of your seat the entire game. But can the school spring for some air conditioning in the arena at least? It had to be in the upper 80s in the arena and people were drenched in sweat. Will be going to MSG games only until some sort of renovation is done. Was one of the least fan friendly experiences I've ever been a part of at a sporting event.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 12:48:26 AM by thetruth8734 »

« Reply #349 on: January 05, 2017, 01:59:35 AM »
yakwe was never a good basketball player but he made up for that in hustle and strength. This year his motor has experienced engine failure. I don't know why but he isn't running rim to rim, hungry for offensive rebounds, or doing the little effort things that made him so favorable last year.

It's hard to knock Ponds but he dogged it defensively tonight. Needed more from him and Creifhton simply outworked. They came in like a top 10 team who wanted to blow St. John's out.

I think coaching staff was too quick to rotate bigs based on foul trouble. Needed to stick with Owens and Dwill or go small.

I'm disappointed they didn't hack-a-Patton. There was real opportunity there and stop the clock.

Side note this was one of the worst red crews I've ever seen.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #350 on: January 05, 2017, 02:00:31 AM »

I thought Owens was a bright spot. Kid played his ass off and didn't back down.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #351 on: January 05, 2017, 02:10:46 AM »

I thought Owens was a bright spot. Kid played his ass off and didn't back down.

I love Owens, so it takes a lot for me to admit he messed up.  His hands have been a positive all
year but he fumbled two passes for wide open buckets and got stripped or missed two more. It is magnified when everything that touches Yakwe is a turnover. That kid needs 30 pounds, but he's going backwards on the scale.

« Reply #352 on: January 05, 2017, 07:32:58 AM »
Truth - you should send an e-mail to AD Anton Goff to let him know why it was such a bad experience. I'm sure he's heard this but the more he hears it, the more he'll understand why fans don't like attending at CA.  Maybe he should spend part of a game sitting in upper section to get true experience.

Yakwe is a complete butterfingers.  Hope the verbal recruit Diakite is not a carbon copy.  Then agsin, if Yakwe ever decides to pary ways, Diakite  may be less inclined to formally committ.

We need bodies !!!

Amar is just awful. 

Lovett driving into the lane getting stripped I'd getting tiring.  No time for highlight moves when you're down.

Ellison thinks he deserves the shot every time.  Tiring.

paultzman

« Reply #353 on: January 05, 2017, 08:20:41 AM »
Mullin on Patton;
his NBA potential:

"He reminds me of Marcus Camby. [He has] great hands and even banged a three. Especially tonight, he looked All-NBA."

Ponds on Patton:

"That's a tough task for us. He's a big guy, has multiple moves and we didn't have an answer for him. He's a great player."

McDermott on Patton;

"Justin's best basketball is still ahead of him. He continues to grow and improve. A lot of it has to do with his work ethic and how he understands the value of competing on a consistent basis. As good as he was offensively the first half, he was equally as good defensively. That wasn't the case the first five or six games of the season. His low post game continues to develop... His patience down there and his footwork is off the charts. He's been a pleasure to coach and he's obviously a special young talent."

Guess somebody thinks he's good. :)
From my vantage point at arena, I agree with comments noted.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 08:25:50 AM by paultzman »

MCNPA

« Reply #354 on: January 05, 2017, 08:55:02 AM »
We played pretty well against a very, very good team.  Still too many defensive failures and lazy defense.  We are not a bottom feeder in this league though and it was far from an easy game for Creighton.   We are still missing a few pieces, like PF/c.  Other than that, we gave some good effort, but fell short to a good team.

TONYD3

« Reply #355 on: January 05, 2017, 09:01:14 AM »
We played pretty well against a very, very good team.  Still too many defensive failures and lazy defense.  We are not a bottom feeder in this league though and it was far from an easy game for Creighton.   We are still missing a few pieces, like PF/c.  Other than that, we gave some good effort, but fell short to a good team.
Agree with that. Don't think our bigs are that bad. Creighton is just better.

« Reply #356 on: January 05, 2017, 09:07:50 AM »
This is a very difficult stretch for SJU.  They have Xavier and Georgetown on the road and then Nova at home.

That means they will play arguably the 4 best teams in the league in the first 6 games (Butler, Creighton, Xavier and Nova) and then throw in a Georgetown team that is now 0-3 and going to be desperate for wins especially at home.

« Reply #357 on: January 05, 2017, 09:16:12 AM »
Creighton is our toughest matchup in the Big East.  With  their combination of size, experience, talent and coaching.  Hopefully we can split the next two.  Georgetown not looking good so far.  JT 3 may be out of a job soon.

« Reply #358 on: January 05, 2017, 09:18:35 AM »
Went to the game. Was a bit disappointed with the outcome, but I thought they played reasonably well against a very good team. Big difference between this year's team and last year's team was when Creighton went up 22, with a huge run to start the second half, last year's team would have folded and gone down 30, but this team fought back and at least made it semi-interesting.

Was my first game at Carnasecca since 2014, and man was it an awful experience. Obviously the seating is horrible with no seat backs, or arm rests in the upper level which is a nightmare when you get a bigger person sitting next to you, and on part of your seat the entire game. But can the school spring for some air conditioning in the arena at least? It had to be in the upper 80s in the arena and people were drenched in sweat. Will be going to MSG games only until some sort of renovation is done. Was one of the least fan friendly experiences I've ever been a part of at a sporting event.

Couldn't agree more. I won't go to a game there.

Wods317

« Reply #359 on: January 05, 2017, 09:29:25 AM »

Couldn't agree more. I won't go to a game there.

In worked in CA for around 3 years so you're not alone in what you're saying. My cousin who is not an sju fan but follows the team and likes them because I talk about them a lot. Him and a couple of his friends went to the game and said they loved the game and fans but CA was so hot as you said they were drenched in sweat and it was so packed you couldn't even make your way to a bathroom or concession that was 100ft away without it taking 10 minutes.  He was like next time I will just wait for a Garden game. Its a weird position to be in because why totally do a new arena when you have MSG but they have to find some solution.