DePaul - Player of the Game

• 33 replies

desco80

DePaul - Player of the Game
« on: January 02, 2017, 10:00:09 AM »
I was impressed by DW's game, but Lovett was player of the game in my mind.  His scoring separated him from his teammates (most of whom played pretty well in this game).

Re: DePaul - Player of the Game
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 10:12:58 AM »
Lovett shined, & Williams was encouraging again.

Owens had a few great plays, saves that didn't show up in the box score stats but were invaluable.

Ahmed, Ponds & Ellison all did great as well.

LoganK

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 10:14:07 AM »
The Ponds vote was accidental...was aiming for Lovett

Poison

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 10:21:04 AM »
It's not often that we are able to grab a bench player, insert him into the rotation and he becomes a difference maker. This is one of the reasons why continuity is so important. Williams in addition to finally being healthy enough to play, knows the staff, players and he knows what he's doing likely because he's been on a bench watching basketball for the last two seasons.

Good for him for not giving up. If the BE had a comeback player of the year award, his name would be in the conversation.

As for Yakwe, right now, he's still better than Amar Alibegovic, but damn, what is wrong with him? He is out to lunch.

paultzman

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 10:28:29 AM »
Williams. For a team with sub par interior for most part, his contribution was timely & effective. Of course LoVett was superb, especially with his partner off a bit.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 10:29:39 AM by paultzman »

Marillac

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 10:50:53 AM »
Lovett was fantastic and picked  up his boy Ponds, but you have to give it to the big fella, Williams! It was nothing short of remarkable how composed he was for a guy that has logged a handful of minutes over the last three years.

Whether or not Williams can play this way against the top of the league may be the biggest storyline we have this season. He's been a revelation the last two games!

paultzman

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 11:00:28 AM »
Lovett was fantastic and picked  up his boy Ponds, but you have to give it to the big fella, Williams! It was nothing short of remarkable how composed he was for a guy that has logged a handful of minutes over the last three years.

Whether or not Williams can play this way against the top of the league may be the biggest storyline we have this season. He's been a revelation the last two games!

+1

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 11:07:16 AM »
Chicago players are great!  Love it came home and dominated.  :)

Wods317

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2017, 11:08:28 AM »

When talking about Williams I think it is also important to note that this kid is not some walk on who is playing at a crazy level. Darrien was a pretty well recruited Juco player with a lot of talent. The injuries have hindered him greatly but it seems he is finally healthy again and I expect him to keep playing well. He probably won't have the game he had last night consistently but darrien can play and is showing what he can do when healthy.

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2017, 11:11:34 AM »
That pass for the Owens dunk sealed the game. Williams

boo3

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2017, 11:21:33 AM »
Hopefully the defense keeps improving...Between Yakwe, Owens, and Williams we have 3 elite rim protectors.. Our guards get blown by too much.  They have gotten better. 

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2017, 11:27:15 AM »
I would give it to Mullin. For choosing the total unorthodox option of starting his 2nd best player. It is a good thing that he didn't listen to all the 'basketball reasons" and not start Lovett.
Now if Mullin can fully commit to realizing that Williams is much better than Amar, we might be on to something here. At the very least games are fun again.

On another note. It is never good when players leave and he had potential but I honestly hated watching Sima play. Playing totally through our guards is much more fan friendly.

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2017, 11:32:24 AM »
I would give it to Mullin. For choosing the total unorthodox option of starting his 2nd best player. It is a good thing that he didn't listen to all the 'basketball reasons" and not start Lovett.
Now if Mullin can fully commit to realizing that Williams is much better than Amar, we might be on to something here. At the very least games are fun again.

On another note. It is never good when players leave and he had potential but I honestly hated watching Sima play. Playing totally through our guards is much more fan friendly.

If Sima didn't leave, Williams would have never gotten his chance

Johnny23

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2017, 11:33:33 AM »
I said it during the LIU game when Williams had his coming out party. He deserved more minutes and he's proven me right.

His post play on both ends of the floor is starting to give this team the balance it has been sorely missing. It's going to be fun to watch him and Owens develop the rest of this year and into next season with the added bigs we're bringing in.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 11:33:57 AM by Johnny23 »

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2017, 11:50:27 AM »

I'm a big fan of your ability to refuse to admit that you were wrong and at the same time call others out for being wrong on the exact same subject.

ras

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2017, 11:57:55 AM »
I voted for Lovett. But was tempted to give it to Williams. He went from the dog house to Important contributor.

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2017, 12:03:25 PM »

If Sima didn't leave, Williams would have never gotten his chance

True. But that's on the coaches for not recognizing Williams ability earlier. I know this is an inexperienced staff but hoping they start to pick up on things quicker. (IE, need to stop the Alibegovich experiment asap)

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2017, 12:14:05 PM »
WIlliams has had three surgeries on those shoulders....  We have no idea if he physically wasn't ready vs. the staff not picking up on it.

They may be so delicate that he's one dunk away from a fourth surgery.   Hoping not the case, but better safe than sorry.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 12:27:45 PM by RedStormNC »

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2017, 12:21:50 PM »

I'm a big fan of your ability to refuse to admit that you were wrong and at the same time call others out for being wrong on the exact same subject.

If I am ever wrong I will admit to it. I thought Mussini could be decent. I was wrong. Thought Williams stunk I was wrong

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2017, 12:29:27 PM »

If I am ever wrong I will admit to it. I thought Mussini could be decent. I was wrong. Thought Williams stunk I was wrong

Great, will you admit that Lovett was not being punished for a team rule violation in the Butler game?