Game 18: @Georgetown

• 171 replies
Re: Game 18: @Georgetown
« Reply #120 on: January 10, 2017, 08:26:09 AM »
Seems to me we have LoVett, Ponds, Owens (because of his hustle and effort) and I'm not ready to give up on Freudenberg.  Every else can go.

Foad

« Reply #121 on: January 10, 2017, 08:28:21 AM »
I want to stay loyal and have up to this point,

Way to hand tough for 15 games. You're like William Wallace, nearly.

« Reply #122 on: January 10, 2017, 09:25:03 AM »
I want to stay loyal and have up to this point,

Way to hand tough for 15 games. You're like William Wallace, nearly.

In fairness watching the game yesterday might have been worse than anything they put Wallace through before he died. When the game finally ended I actually yelled "FREEDOM"

cjfish

« Reply #123 on: January 10, 2017, 10:04:26 AM »
We all knew, or should have, that this would be an up and down year with a young team.  Unfortunately, this is the saddest performance to date.  After some good wins and good second halfs against Creighton and Xavier, this game witnessed a complete breakdown on both ends, a return to playing AAU style ball, shoot it if you have it......no ball movement, careless plays..... The sad second half is primarily on Ponds and Lovett who completely abandoned the team concept.  The coaches failed also, not getting through to these kids.  Ironically, the only time the ball moved well was when the EUros were on the floor but, as we all know,even when moving the ball they are inlikely to score.   Lets hope the team is as resilient as they were after the early season embarrassments and have a few good performances in them.     

Poison

« Reply #124 on: January 10, 2017, 10:12:31 AM »
We all knew, or should have, that this would be an up and down year with a young team.  Unfortunately, this is the saddest performance to date.  After some good wins and good second halfs against Creighton and Xavier, this game witnessed a complete breakdown on both ends, a return to playing AAU style ball, shoot it if you have it......no ball movement, careless plays..... The sad second half is primarily on Ponds and Lovett who completely abandoned the team concept.  The coaches failed also, not getting through to these kids.  Ironically, the only time the ball moved well was when the EUros were on the floor but, as we all know,even when moving the ball they are inlikely to score.   Lets hope the team is as resilient as they were after the early season embarrassments and have a few good performances in them.     

I can't fault LoVett and Ponds for abandoning the team concept when they are only ones focused and playing hard. How many times did Lovett set Owens up for a dunk, only for him to blow it? Everyone has to come ready to play in the BE night in and night out. That's on the coach. Yes, he's got a young team, and we probably would have lost this game even if they did try harder, but effort isn't debatable. They should play hard all the time.

« Reply #125 on: January 10, 2017, 10:15:01 AM »

At the current exchange rate if we trade in the three Euros we can get back almost 3 and a quarter American players
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 10:15:40 AM by we are sju »

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #126 on: January 10, 2017, 10:18:55 AM »
They are 2-3 overall in BE play with a solid win over a ranked team and a competitive loss at home...They loss to a ranked team on the road , and then had a one day turn around to an historic rival whose in desperate need of a win, with the coaches job on the line....Georgetown came to play and understood the urgency, and SJU didn't....

1. We play better at home from what I could see (Shocker!)
2. There is room for improvement but do we already have to go back to the sky is falling already, especially after losing to a historic rival on their home court who was in desperate need of a win?

Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #127 on: January 10, 2017, 10:19:24 AM »
I don't expect this team to play much defense, but when the offense performs like that they are unwatchable.  Only our free throw shooting kept it close to the half, but Owens' missed dunks really hurt us.  We had to build an early lead when Georgetown was looking punchdrunk.

A very dispirited performance against a Georgetown team that was just waiting for the roof to fall in on them.  We let them off the hook, and in the second half we just gave up, very much like in the PSU game.

Both Ponds and LoVett had very rough games against Georgetown's big and physical backcourt, and Ahmed was invisible all night.  Hate the settling for 30 foot jumpshots, and even hoisting them up so early in the clock.  After Yakwe's early burst, saw no effort to get the ball inside.  First time all year both Ponds and LoVett played badly together, and when that happens we are flat out dreadful.  Don't want to make him a scapegoat when entire team sucked, but Amar doesn't belong on the court in Big East games.

Foad

« Reply #128 on: January 10, 2017, 10:19:29 AM »

« Reply #129 on: January 10, 2017, 10:31:27 AM »
They are 2-3 overall in BE play with a solid win over a ranked team and a competitive loss at home...They loss to a ranked team on the road , and then had a one day turn around to an historic rival whose in desperate need of a win, with the coaches job on the line....Georgetown came to play and understood the urgency, and SJU didn't....

2. There is room for improvement but do we already have to go back to the sky is falling already, especially after losing to a historic rival on their home court who was in desperate need of a win?

I am not a sky is falling guy but yesterday was not a good day for program. Again not my nature but can understand frustration. Team with worst frontcourt in BE history takes understandable shot on shady kid with about 2% chance of ever actually showing up eligible. Kid then gets arrested fro robbing struggling drug store. Seriously he is lucky Walgreen's didn't attempt to rob him.

Then yesterday we get absolutely destroyed by winless BE team. With all that there is the constant rumors of one of our only two good players leaving at end of year just before some badly needed reinforcements come in. Our other best player seems to be getting more frustrated by the day and the apparent pouting is affecting his game.

And the final straw for some on here, all three white guys stink.

So while I am in the preach patience camp, I can understand how that would be a problem today.

nudginator59

« Reply #130 on: January 10, 2017, 11:14:07 AM »

I am not a sky is falling guy but yesterday was not a good day for program. Again not my nature but can understand frustration. Team with worst frontcourt in BE history takes understandable shot on shady kid with about 2% chance of ever actually showing up eligible. Kid then gets arrested fro robbing struggling drug store. Seriously he is lucky Walgreen's didn't attempt to rob him.

Then yesterday we get absolutely destroyed by winless BE team. With all that there is the constant rumors of one of our only two good players leaving at end of year just before some badly needed reinforcements come in. Our other best player seems to be getting more frustrated by the day and the apparent pouting is affecting his game.

And the final straw for some on here, all three white guys stink.

So while I am in the preach patience camp, I can understand how that would be a problem today.

There are reasons to be concerned  and frustrated  about, but we don't know the sky is falling yet either.  Before beating Cuse and going on a mini win streak it was fire the whole staff...The team went on a solid win streak to include beating a rank team. The fire Mullin brigade went away. The team is on a losing streak and the bridgsde is back....

Beating Georgetown would have been another confirmed step in the right direction and another monkey off the teams back by winning there for the first time in over a decade.....That is frustrating...Especially since the team as whole laid an egg...

More issues from the team's key reinforcement will cast a dark cloud over this loss as well. Losing sucks, especially to Freshmen who are use to winning all the time.

The good news is that they have time off before the Nova game, let's see what happens.

If this team doesn't show the expected improvement by the end of the year, let's see what changes will be made...I am surprised by the lack of loyalty and quick hook people are ready to give to Mullin.

If JTIII is fired at the end of the season, at least Georgetown and the fans can say they gave him every chance and opportunity to him. JTIII has wasted more talent and opportunities then Mullin has so far, and Mullin has had far less talent.
Cougar O' Malley

Foad

« Reply #131 on: January 10, 2017, 11:18:14 AM »
If JTIII is fired at the end of the season, at least Georgetown and the fans can say they gave him every chance and opportunity to him. JTIII has wasted more talent and opportunities then Mullin has so far, and Mullin has had far less talent.

Thompson has done less with more than anyone since Carol Wayne. (I was going to say Jayne Mansfield but I updated the reference for the kids.)

nudginator59

« Reply #132 on: January 10, 2017, 12:10:08 PM »

Thompson has done less with more than anyone since Carol Wayne. (I was going to say Jayne Mansfield but I updated the reference for the kids.)

OK, so if Georgetown moves on, would it be justified or a knee jerk reaction?
Cougar O' Malley

Foad

« Reply #133 on: January 10, 2017, 12:28:13 PM »

JT3 has been at GT for 15 years, I'm surprised they kept him that long.

« Reply #134 on: January 10, 2017, 01:18:36 PM »

They can't fire him

derk

« Reply #135 on: January 10, 2017, 01:53:26 PM »

They can't fire him

Not while the old man is still around.

« Reply #136 on: January 10, 2017, 02:26:38 PM »

They can't fire him

I find it fun to watch.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

TONYD3

« Reply #137 on: January 10, 2017, 02:50:20 PM »

They can't fire him

I find it fun to watch.
Would be fun. If we weren't in way worse shape.

« Reply #138 on: January 10, 2017, 03:10:34 PM »
We tell our selves to not get too high or too low after losses but I feel like the team needs to realize this as well. Everything was going great, they got a spot on the 6 oclock news everyone was happy. They lose two games to two great teams and come out like absolute trash tonight.

Tonight was not on Mullin, the players gave up at halftime and that is 100% on the players.

How do you play for a half, you're down only 7, then just quit in the 2nd half?
This team is sad.

« Reply #139 on: January 10, 2017, 03:20:09 PM »
This one might have been on me.  I had been posting that this team was one of our best offensively and that the problem with the team was entirely defense.

Then they go for 55.  At least I was still right about the defense stinkin.

Kiss of death.